• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any harm in unsupported CPU in motherboard? (Ryzen 3000 with x470)

Associate
This is probably a stupid question, but I've got a new Ryzen 5 3600 and X470 Gaming Plus motherboard, which I know most likely requires a bios update (I've got a boot kit request pending but MSI are taking forever to give me the Comms trail AMD need to mail the kit!).

I know there's a tiny chance the motherboard may already be updated but I'm too scared to check. Is there any potential for harm of seeing if it boots? I'm assuming that if the bios isn't up to date, it just won't detect the CPU and won't POST, but I've read elsewhere about someone fried their CPU because it was unsupported and the board overvolted it, unsure on facts with this.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the responses. Maybe I'll just give it a go then, no harm in trying, and I'll kick myself if I wait for another week or two (or more because Christmas) to find I didn't need to wait at all...

Associate
OP
Okay so my AMD loan request has just been approved, and MSI checked the seria number of my mobo and confirmed it shipped with an old BIOS.

Looks like I'll be waiting to "up to 5 business days" for the loan CPU. Thanks all

Soldato
I had to do the amd loan cpu for a 2200g on a b450 mobo due to bios being out of date and l it did was not boot.

They are quite good at getting one sent to you and arrange all the delivery and pickup.

You keep the cooler of the loan cpu and then just send back the cpu.

Associate
OP
I had to do the amd loan cpu for a 2200g on a b450 mobo due to bios being out of date and l it did was not boot.

They are quite good at getting one sent to you and arrange all the delivery and pickup.

You keep the cooler of the loan cpu and then just send back the cpu.

I was surprised they approved it without the "proof of communication from the ODM". I sent an email saying "they're taking a long time to respond... But here's everything else while I wait", next day it's approved and being shipped already!

Interesting that they let you keep the cooler though... Could it be to keep return shipping costs down?

Associate
OP
It's bananas they give you a cooler to use, you will surely need one yourself on your correct CPU so why provide one?
The kit arrived today - it's a brand new, boxed Athlon 200GE.. I was expecting it to look a bit more used to be honest... They've also requested that I send back the cooler with the CPU in the original box so I guess they've changed their minds on the coolers.

At least tonight I can get my new Ryzen going!!:D:D

Back
Top Bottom