Any horsey people here?

Soldato
Does anyone here own or ride horses and have any idea how much fields can be rented for? I know it differs based on location, amenities etc but a rough idea per acre per year.

Anyone have a clue?

Caporegime
think what they cost then when you got the right amount times it by x4.

very expensive keeping horses.you can pick up em pretty cheap though but thats because many dont think about how much the upkeep is.

its not just the stables/rent food vets . transport.

my dad has shirehorses :D

Man of Honour

very expensive keeping horses.you can pick up em pretty cheap though but thats because many dont think about how much the upkeep is.

Don't give the OP a long face :(

Soldato
OP

im not looking to get into horsies :o but have a mate with a field who wants to do something with it

Soldato
Hiring out a bit of field wouldn't cost much I'd have thought. The cost to stable a horse at a DIY livery yard is around £40 a week, which includes turn out to a field plus use of the amenities such as the menage plus obviously a stable. So a bit of field would probably be something like £10 a week?

Soldato
Sounds like you might be better off with some goats. Way cheaper, easier to handle and you can actually milk them. :p

Place where I used to work had a paddock for horses but no horses just used to spend hours driving an expensive lawn tractor cutting the grass. Couldn't help but think there was better use to put the field to.

Soldato
Does anyone here own or ride horses and have any idea how much fields can be rented for? I know it differs based on location, amenities etc but a rough idea per acre per year.

Anyone have a clue?

My mates sister has a few horses and rents a stable and I own a dart board, who would you prefer a response off ?

Soldato
Most places will charge per week or per month and the price tends to be from £10 to £100 per week. Location, amenities factor in but also how much you do. DIY (do it yourself) fields are towards the low end but you have to provide food, water and clean the poo up even in the dead of winter, do all or most of the work.

Full livery where they do everything provide feed, check horse, clean poo, water and everything else when you cannot get down can be as high as £125 per week sometimes a little more in pricy areas. Full livery often includes a stable and field. Most places are between the two.

EDIT: If its a large yard and you have a good house you can sometimes get a discount if you let the yard use the horse for public lessons. I don't like that but its an option. Another option is to loan the horse out to someone. Mostly its young girls but sometimes older people well want to loan a horse long term. They have access to the horse on set days normally 2 week days and 1 day in the weekend. Its still your horse but they look after it and ride it on those set days.

EDIT: Don't forget its not good to use the same small field all year around. Grass needs time to recover. I used to cycle my horse though 3 fields a year, my Mum on the other hand partitions her field.

Last edited:
Caporegime
My sister has owned horses for years. Prepare to have no money and no time or energy for anything else :p

Imagine a really really REALLY expensive dog.

I've seen some of her vet bills...don't actually think I've seen one for less than a grand.

I wouldn't recommend it, but horses for courses and all that! :D

Associate
About £15-£20 p/w for DIY with stable and turnout.

Location in the country dictates price.

As others have said consider all the additional costs, feed/blacksmith/etc...

Also dont get sucked into buying all the crap, many vocal individuals will tell you that you need this and need that. It's a rare occurance but find a down to earth knowledgable horse owner to help you, otherwise the hobby will become a money sink (both from looking after the animal and rip off lessons).

Be careful when buying a horse also, I quite often see horses being sold for completely over inflated price's and dont buy a horse with any sort of problems that the seller will reassure you can be managed with ease (sweet itch etc) as it will end up costing you a even more moeny and you'll then have to try mug someone else off to get rid of it or end up giving it away.

Back
Top Bottom