Any idea of a substitute for Subway's Southwest Chipotle sauce?

Don
In the quest to making my perfect lunchtime meal, I'm attempting to replicate & improve on the Subway Italian BMT, with southwest sauce :D

The base is of course easy, but how can I make a similar sauce?

Associate
Mayo, Lime, Chipotle (smoke dried jalepenos), Garlic, Salt, Pepper. You'll need to play to get the right balance but it's close, I personally like this with a drop of paprika and a tiny bit of sour cream, but I'm a wierdo!

Soldato
Is this usually kept next to the hen's teeth? Can't find it for buggery

Whilst it may be difficult to find in supermarkets, though not impossible, you'll easily get it online. Like so -
http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Chipotle-Chilli-Flakes.html
http://www.capsicana.co.uk/products/details/3/1/dried-chillies/chipotle-chillies

Though Waitrose does sell a Chipotle paste.

I'd love to open up a shop in Glasgow that sells these sorts of speciality ingredients, spices, and stuff like that. I'd have a coffee section, and have SiliconSlave & Flibster on the payroll and obviously a large booze section.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Last edited:
Soldato
Tesco sell dried ancho chillies (similar taste to chipotle IMO). Great to rehydrate for stews/chillis etc and you could make your own bbq sauce with them, ketchup, cider vinegar, sugar, garlic powder, paprika

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'd love to open up a shop in Glasgow that sells these sorts of speciality ingredients, spices, and stuff like that. I'd have a coffee section, and have SiliconSlave & Flibster on the payroll and obviously a large booze section.

To get me to go to Glasgow? You can't afford me. :p ;) :D

Soldato
I just mix some dried chipotle chillies with some olive oil and give it a bash to make a paste, then stir that into some mayo. Keeps for ages and cheap as chips if you use just a cheap mayo.

As for where to get Chipotle chillies from, I get mine from an asian supermarket online when I order other stuff. Discovery do a paste you can buy, but only Waitrose stock it as far as I know.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom