Any larger 120Hz monitors on the horizon?

Associate
They're twice the price of a conventional TN-panel but lack the quality and viewing angles of S-IPS / PVA. You're basically paying a premium for the increased refresh rate, which is only of benefit if you're using nVidia 3D compatible games and hardware - you're paying a premium to tie yourself into one vendors hardware.

I'll be interested when they release 120Hz 24"+ S-IPS (or better) monitors, though not for the 3D aspect.

Associate
OP
They're twice the price of a conventional TN-panel but lack the quality and viewing angles of S-IPS / PVA. You're basically paying a premium for the increased refresh rate, which is only of benefit if you're using nVidia 3D compatible games and hardware - you're paying a premium to tie yourself into one vendors hardware.

I'll be interested when they release 120Hz 24"+ S-IPS (or better) monitors, though not for the 3D aspect.

Surely a 120Hz refresh rate would benefit any game where you get more than 60FPS? How is that being tied into one vendor, I don't understand your logic.

I'm sure I read somewhere that there are over 350 titles that can be played in 3D so I'd hardly be short on choice would I? Plus, many more will surely start to support it.

There is also a case to be made for non-gaming content - movies etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
There's an Asus 24" that was being shown a while ago, no release date though unfortunately. TFT Central's review was very good, besides the usual TN-Film issues they felt that 120hz really made a noticeable difference over 60hz and that it was a good gaming panel.

Associate
AFAIK the ONLY displays compatible with the nvidia 3d bundle are the Samsung and Viewsonic 120hz monitors. 120hz TVs aren't the same thing from what i gather and won't work.

I got the Viewsonic myself, and not for 3D Vision, I have no interest, I got it for the better refresh rate which for me was essential in making the transition from CRT to LCD. 60hz gaming makes me want to cry :)

bee

bee

Associate
Asus VG242H...hopefully soon :(

2a5d82s.jpg

2ymty7c.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
120hz means, most likely less ghosting, less tearing issues(probably), just better all round for gaming.

Tearing is actually a pretty horrible issue for gaming and afaik is caused by the screen simply not refreshing as quickly as the frame buffer. If the screen can display quicker than the frame buffer is refreshed, I assume tearing is almost completely gone. I never dealt with tearing with a CRT with a 100Hz+ rate, LCD's, with v-sync, still an issue in several games, more so without it. Tearing irritates me, irritates the hell out of me, single biggest issue for me now that ghosting is "mostly" gone, or significantly reduced on any newish screen from the last couple years.

The 3d tech is horrible, a friend whose a moron got it(and wastes his money on almost any new thing), he gets headaches on long gaming sessions, maybe because I have glasses(which made their glasses horribly uncomftable) and not having great corrected vision, I got headaches very quickly. Blacking out one eye at a time is a very very poor substitute, and killing half your framerate when going from 60-120hz for me, increases the quality of gaming more than half hearted 3d that gives many people horrible headaches, seems utterly retarded.

The industry moving from 60 to 120hz screens as standard will be far more welcome to gamers, than dodgey 3d. Seeing as 120hz/100/200hz in tv's has been around for ages, or heck, 600hz in plasma's, you'd think it would be done sooner rather than later :(

Biggest problem will be getting more than a handful of 120hz screens to bring prices down. a 24" 120hz lcd will cost a poopload on release. I'm half tempted to drop down to a 20-22" 120hz for a while as their prices will no doubt drop much sooner/further than 24" versions, then maybe move back to a 24" version a year or two later when the tech is better, far far cheaper and any weird kinks are ironed out.

Last edited:
Associate
Yep, no way I could play UT on 60 or even 75hz LCDs.
120hz isn't perfect by any means for such a twitch shooter, but I ended up moving away from my CRT to it because the pros of a nice flat screen outweighed the slightly worse performance in UT :)

Associate
AFAIK the ONLY displays compatible with the nvidia 3d bundle are the Samsung and Viewsonic 120hz monitors. 120hz TVs aren't the same thing from what i gather and won't work.

Correct me if im wrong, there is a hardware test from the green team that basically tests your rig and monitor for 3D compatability, (i havnt tried it)

as far as im aware as long as your hardware is up to it and your monitor is at least 120hz you will be ale to use said tech. So why not get a 600hz tv/monitor from say Panasonic/sony and be done. If its true why have a 23" monitor when you can have a 50" monitor?, albeit cost.

bee

bee

Associate
[
Correct me if im wrong, there is a hardware test from the green team that basically tests your rig and monitor for 3D compatability, (i havnt tried it)

as far as im aware as long as your hardware is up to it and your monitor is at least 120hz you will be ale to use said tech. So why not get a 600hz tv/monitor from say Panasonic/sony and be done. If its true why have a 23" monitor when you can have a 50" monitor?, albeit cost.

the 200/400/600 tv's aren't really what they claim, they're just using post processing frame doublers/tripler/quadruplers to make the motion seem smoother, none of them can actually accept a true 120hz signal input

Associate
Don't think so, from what I gather whatever your frame rate is normally, just divide by 2 and thats how fast the 3D will run. If you get 30fps normally you WILL still get 3D but it will be at 15fps.

Permabanned
Many of the reviews out there seem to disagree with you and say that is an awesome experience.

Reviews are just opinions of other people.

I'm personally interested in what 3D gaming is like, but I have never tried it so I don't have an appropriate opinion to give against it.

Back
Top Bottom