Any love for Go / GoLang here?

Man of Honour
I don't yet have any use for it. But GoLang seems to be an interesting new(ish) language, with a lot of support for multi threading and a reasonable mix of low level and high level syntax. I think I'm going to take a look at it and learn the basics.

Anyone here using it?

Associate
Interesting yes, it caught my attention recently. I wrote a ray tracer in it to understand it. I like how it's simple, not much to it, statically typed and it's all about interfaces rather than inheritance.

Will look forward to seeing how it matures.

Man of Honour
OP
A ray tracer puts my hello world efforts to shame :)

After I tried it I realised just how long it has been since I've used a compiled language (most recently I've been using PHP and Python and the last professional development I did was with Java).

Soldato
I've been playing mostly with Kotlin at the moment, but now Go has (or will soon get) AWS lambda support, I'm going to pick that up as an excuse because I've wanted to for a while.

Man of Honour
OP
I realised recently just how easy it is to cross compile for another OS. By setting the GOOS environment variable to windows, linux, darwin (MacOS) or several other options you can develop on one OS and compile the executable for a different OS. Obviously it's only that simple if you don't use any OS specific libraries. But combined with the way Go generates a single executable (rather than relying on external libraries causing dependency hell) that could be a really useful facility.

Soldato
Go seems to be great for building out scalable web services, performance is very good when compared to say PHP or Java.

The way it builds single binaries makes stuff very easy to deploy a cross most common platforms too.

Tooling seems to be good, GoLand by Jet Brains is ok, though I have been using VSCode myself as I'm a bit stingy! The Go extentions in VSCode are pretty good.

Hopefully over the next few quarters we will see GUI toolkit bindings mature and stabilise a bit - they are usable right now, but I think they have a way to go before they are ready for prime time.

Personally I think it might be a great candidate for game development - GC times are impressive, concurrency is good and easy to use, and almost any C libs are quite easy to bind to.

Best feature for me is probably the modularatiy and consistency you can get with Go, this makes it a good candidate for very large and complex codebases IMO.

Back
Top Bottom