HTC U11

Soldato
I just don't think there's anything they can do to really hit the mainstream again sadly.

They seem to be trying every gimmick under the sun right now, the ultra had the additional screen and now we have pressure sensitive sides of the phone...that's just not gonna grab attention and drive sales.

I've owned a bunch of HTC's, most notably the m7 through 10, mostly out of blind loyalty, but I just don't know how they can turn it around! They always just seem to miss out a bunch of features that most high end competitors offer these days and that just negates the appeal.

I would love them to hit all the points with this release but they won't!

Soldato
I'm really pleased with my HTC 10, although I paid under £300 for it brand new via a colleague. The loss of a headphone socket would be a dealbreaker for me, although I don't see any reason to move on from my HTC 10 in the medium term anyway.

Soldato
The software is the only good thing left about HTC (which is now quite close to stock), their hardware choices and designs are starting to get a bit... strange. The HTC 10 felt like a good phone overall but the U Ultra and the rumours on the 11 doesn't really seem that exciting.

Soldato
I pulled my HTC One (M7) out of the draw the other day and lamented its premature death (random self-bricking). If they could make a device as good as that was when it first came out I'd be sold, the aluminium body and overall user exp was amazing.

Soldato
Got nostalgic the other day, have had a few Butterfly models in the past and picked up a pristine HTC butterfly from eBay for £39.99. It won't be my daily driver but surprised how well it's aged and is still a damn good phone.

AS for the M11, the squeeze function isn't really anything new Nubia did it already with the Z9 but I do like the HTC and their designs so will check it out. Sadly in the past some of their hardware choices have been lacking though, especially the camera but fingers crossed for the 16th of May.

Associate
Looks tacky...

If anyone wants I can translate/TL;DW this video, though this guys accent is really heavy and that means my translation can be spotty.

TL;DW(?):

• Newest and most defining feature of U11, Edge Sense. As you can see in the video you can adjust the force needed to activate Edge Sense.

• You can use Edge Sense to shoot/capture photos, it's very handy since it requires only one hand to operate the phone.

• Google Assistant available.

• You can use Edge Sense to launch any application, in this video it was Chrome. Also World Star Hip Hop status, that camera launch using Edge Sense was dope.

• Pretty much confirms previous leak about 5.5 screen, lack of 3.5mm headphone jack, single USB-C port and IP57 rating. It also features Snapdragon 835 and whopping 6GB of RAM. 6GB of RAM for China market, everyone else gets 4GB. Cheers /u/Bruce_Wayne8887

• Small complaint about bezels that aren't as thin as S8 or G6.

• Reviewer draws many comparisions to U Ultra quite a lot. Says that anyone who was interested in U Ultra should also check U11. (Personal thought: that doesn't bode well...)

• Due to lack of 3.5mm heaphone jack, dongle is included which wasn't packaged previously on U Ultra.

• Rear camera 12MP, Front-facing camera 18MP (!). Doesn't say much besides it takes photos real quick and they look good, not many details besides specs.

• Says something about HTC BoomSound, no clarification whether stereo or mono setup. Ambiguous remarks about how speaker is louder and better sounding than U Ultra.

• No mention of anything worthwile besides barebones fact, not even price point.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/6ba1ii/htc_u11_first_look/dhkxezw/

Soldato
No headphone jack is correct but comes with an adapter in the box.

This is one HTC I will not be pruchasing in the future, it just seems really old, especially up front compared to the S8 and G6.

Also I know some like it but Sense looks like it's really aged badly now, yeah I know there's different launchers etc out there but they really need to go in a new direction with Sense or drop it completely for stock Android.

Oh and that squeezing the side of your phone, biggest gimmick I've seen for a while and just doesn't look natural in the video.

Associate
I personally like the U11's top end hardware. But the design is just plain ugly. The S8 has set the benchmark on phone design.

Edit: Highest mobile score on dxomark? Beating the Pixel and scores a 90

Last edited:
Soldato
What a horrible idea and an awful looking phone, it's not like people are struggling to take selfies currently on their 'squeezeless' phones is it.
So this is trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

Soldato
What a horrible idea and an awful looking phone, it's not like people are struggling to take selfies currently on their 'squeezeless' phones is it.
So this is trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

The thing is HTC make good hardware, most of the time, and if they had went Stock (or as close to as possible ala Moto) Android and brought this phone out at the £499 mark they could position themselves as a premium version of Android with top end hardware while undercutting the Pixel line somewhat.

This to me would present a more attractive proposition and given the Pixels general lack of availability and the high price they could have a winner.

Alas Sense continues to show it's age (I really don't like it now) and this new squeeze feature is just not required.

Soldato
Looks like this one will be the worst phone ever for fingerprints.

No headphone jack, But they can add a squeezing gimmick.

Fail.

HTC just go back & make the M7 again but remove the HTC bar on the front & I think more people would take you seriously!

Back
Top Bottom