Any PCVR for £400?

Soldato
For no reason that's tempting me to get another... Can't afford it but still!

If you do a referral with someone you also end up get $30 store credit each as well. Insane value.

Soldato
Ah just looked for the 128gb on Amazon and it's not there I must have missed out.

Do you need a Facebook account for this? Been wanting to get into VR for ages and was waiting to see what PSVR2 is like but that could be a long time off.

Sorry to hijack

Soldato
OP
Ah just looked for the 128gb on Amazon and it's not there I must have missed out.

Do you need a Facebook account for this? Been wanting to get into VR for ages and was waiting to see what PSVR2 is like but that could be a long time off.

Sorry to hijack

It was there 3 minutes ago, I was about to purchase... nevermind - lol

Soldato
OP
I think they listed it incorrectly.

Most retailers are doing the £50 store credit when purchasing, but I do not think they intended to reduce it by another £50, the margins cannot be that high.

Some marketplace seller is now selling for £349 - LOOOOOOOOOOOOL

I am waiting till Black Friday now... intrigued.

Last edited:
Soldato

Sorry to hijack

I think you still need a facebook account at the moment, but it will be unlinked in the future. When you'll just need a Meta account, that will then act as an umbrella for each bit under (whatsapp, facebook, oculus etc). So if you then lose your facebook, you don't lose your VR.

Soldato
1 question. is OP just asking about the headset or is (s)he hoping to get a pc as well in that price

if it is pc as well then may as well give up for now and just get a quest stand alone.... if it is just the headsrt then quest 2 as already mentioned but HP have a BF offer on the Reverb G2 for well under £500 now (so only a bit over budget) - make sure to get a bundle with controllers.

sure, i reckon they are clearing house before the revised G2 with improved tracking and face gasket comes out... but the old G2 is still a great headset in terms of visuals.

Soldato
Ok thanks I'll do some more reading up on it but might still wait for PSVR2, I was interested at the cheap price mentioned but not so much if it was error and its more expensive

Soldato
Ok thanks I'll do some more reading up on it but might still wait for PSVR2, I was interested at the cheap price mentioned but not so much if it was error and its more expensive

The original psvr is still £250 from a quick check. Which is effectively what you can get a quest 2 for now (without needing a ps to play it). I don't think psvr2 is going to be less than £250 when it's released, likely more. And we don't know when it's being released either.

I'd go for a quest 2 at £250, and worst comes to the worst, sell it on for £200 without much trouble after having a lot of fun with it.

Soldato
imo it is hard to reccomend anything other than the quest 2 for new people into VR....... it ticks so many boxes, does a good job at most things and even where it is "weak" it is still passable and in reality is usually just those of us who are used to the very high end stuff being a little snobby. (I include myself in that and am not trying to be disparaging)

5 years ago i would have given my left nut for VR the quality and featureset of the quest 2. Many of us here have been spoilt with high end stuff but for those who have never tried VR the quest 2 will blow them away, even without a pc imo

Soldato
5 years ago i would have given my left nut for VR the quality and featureset of the quest 2. Many of us here have been spoilt with high end stuff but for those who have never tried VR the quest 2 will blow them away, even without a pc imo

When I got my original Oculus Rift I seriously considered getting a third party wireless adaptor which would have cost another £400.

Now I have a completely stand-alone headset that can do wireless PC or standalone wireless VR gaming that has way higher resolution and it costs £300 for the base model.

The only real criticisms I have are a) the FOV, which is too narrow, and b) The forced Facebook account - and that Facebook requirement will be removed next year.

Soldato
I'd go for a quest 2 at £250, and worst comes to the worst, sell it on for £200 without much trouble after having a lot of fun with it.

Would you say you need a PC to have the most fun with it or is standalone ok? I would be using it completely standalone I gave up on PC gaming and now have a Series X and looking for VR too

Soldato
Would you say you need a PC to have the most fun with it or is standalone ok? I would be using it completely standalone I gave up on PC gaming and now have a Series X and looking for VR too

It's absolutely worth it from a standalone point of view, especially now that bigger games like RE4 are arriving.

However there are a number of really good VR games that you'll miss out on if you don't have a PC to connect it to, such as flight and racing sims, Skyrim VR and of course Half-Life Alyx.

But of course you can always sideload and there are some incredible ports of games like Half-Life and Doom 3 you can enjoy for a more 'PC VR' type experience.

Soldato

I played Asgards wrath a fair bit, but haven't touched it in months. Played star wars squadrons very briefly, and do intend to do some more of that at some point. But the vast majority of my quest 2 playtime has been completely standalone. Rec room, walkabout mini golf, real vr fishing, beat saber, gorilla tag, In death Unchained. I did play star trek bridge crew on the PC, but it's also a standalone title (I only had the pc version due to a cheap bundle).

Being able to just pick it up and play for 10 minutes etc is brilliant. And then of course there's our much longer social games, like Demeo.

Which reminds me that Township Tale I do PCVR, but I don't think it's a particularly trying title, so you don't need a 3080 etc.

Soldato
Thanks chaps, I'm going to have a proper read up on it tonight, not sure on the standalone titles at the moment and reactivating my Facebook is a bit of a deal breaker but I'm still really interested in trying it out

Soldato
Thanks chaps, I'm going to have a proper read up on it tonight, not sure on the standalone titles at the moment and reactivating my Facebook is a bit of a deal breaker but I'm still really interested in trying it out

What sort of titles are you interested in? To be honest, that's not necessarily a great question for VR, since I've found myself enjoying things that I don't have much enjoyment from on a monitor.

Soldato
What sort of titles are you interested in? To be honest, that's not necessarily a great question for VR, since I've found myself enjoying things that I don't have much enjoyment from on a monitor.

I'm guessing all the type of stuff that needs a pc to run it such as FPS, racing and flight. I'm not too interested in the basic demo and time passing games like fishing and beat saber etc

Soldato

hi end pcvr is obviously better, and has some genres not yet covered on the quest.... and games like lone echo or Half Life Alyx are brilliant and are PCVR only....

but i would say there is more than enough really enjoyable quality vr on the quest in standalone mode to make it more than worth the cost and a lot of it costs peanuts. (1st person stuff is covered on the quest, but actual simulators such as racing or flight, not so much right now)..... facebook requirement has been done to death and am not gonna go on that one one way or the other.... its a facebook product and (for now needs a facebook account...... if this is an issue it is a valid reason to not buy one... and going forward who knows what the new requirement will be?)

if you want to try vr i would say get a quest 2, and now is a great time to do it with the £50 credit note.

Soldato
I'm guessing all the type of stuff that needs a pc to run it such as FPS, racing and flight. I'm not too interested in the basic demo and time passing games like fishing and beat saber etc

Just like Unseul said above, don't base your game choice in VR solely on the games you like to play in pancake mode. Flight Sims and car sims aside, the games you end up liking in VR might surprise you. For instant, I hate Rhythm games on the PC and console, so I thought I wouldn't like Beat Saber either but ended up loving it and buying more of the same type of game. I bought Pistol Whip which has become one of my favourite VR games.

Walkabout mini golf has also surprised me. It's fantastic in VR, but, I wouldn't play any kind of golf game on normal desktop gaming. Even playing a table top dungeon and dragons game like Demeo is really enjoyable in VR.

My advice is keep an open mind when you get the headset, try out games that you wouldn't normally play or even consider on normal pc gaming.

As for using the Quest 2 standalone until you get a PC. I have a PC now and barely use the Quest 2 on it. Most of my VR gaming is standalone at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom