Any PCVR for £400?

Soldato
@melmac thanks for the advice that does sound promising and familiar because I'm playing games on my Xbox that I would never have played on my PC so maybe the same will be true for VR

I'm looking forward to reading onto it properly tonight

Soldato
After a very quick read I have been reminded as to why I binned off Facebook and won't be going back so unfortunately Oculas have lost a potential customer, I'm sure they're bothered!

Any other stand alones worth looking at? Ill have a look anyway and if not I'll continue to wait it out for PSVR2

Soldato
After a very quick read I have been reminded as to why I binned off Facebook and won't be going back so unfortunately Oculas have lost a potential customer, I'm sure they're bothered!

Any other stand alones worth looking at? Ill have a look anyway and if not I'll continue to wait it out for PSVR2

What's have you been reading? If you have been reading about been banned, forget it, that doesn't happen. Just setup your Quest 2 and never go into facebook again.

Soldato
What's have you been reading? If you have been reading about been banned, forget it, that doesn't happen. Just setup your Quest 2 and never go into facebook again.

Plus, I believe they're removing the requirement for a facebook account next year, so you can unlink the headset from the account and delete it.

Soldato
Sounds really risky buying games etc linked to a Facebook account I'm never going to use, don't they close inactive accounts after a bit, not sure it's worth it tbh

How long ago?

There seems to be some misunderstanding. At the moment when you setup your Quest 2 you need a Facebook account. There is no other account on your Quest 2 just your Facebook account. However you can setup the Quest 2's privacy so nothing gets shared between your Quest 2 and your wall on Facebook. You don't have to post anything at all on your Facebook wall. But your account will still be active because that's the account you are using on your Quest 2.

Soldato
My wife has had a facebook account for years now (I guess since before we were married? So we're talking 10+), she never uses it, logs in maybe once every few years, and it's never been terminated.

Soldato
There seems to be some misunderstanding. At the moment when you setup your Quest 2 you need a Facebook account. There is no other account on your Quest 2 just your Facebook account. However you can setup the Quest 2's privacy so nothing gets shared between your Quest 2 and your wall on Facebook. You don't have to post anything at all on your Facebook wall. But your account will still be active because that's the account you are using on your Quest 2.

Thanks for verifying and yeah, that's a definite no from me for now. My account is deactivated and the only thing I intend to do with it is log in and completely delete it.

Thanks for your time chaps it's been helpful

Soldato
Thanks for verifying and yeah, that's a definite no from me for now. My account is deactivated and the only thing I intend to do with it is log in and completely delete it.

Thanks for your time chaps it's been helpful

Wait a minute. You knew about the facebook account requirement all along? You still haven't explained what you read that made you go from been pretty interested in buying one even if you didn't really like reactivating your Facebook account to coming back and saying that you definitely wouldn't get one?

Soldato
Wait a minute. You knew about the facebook account requirement all along? You still haven't explained what you read that made you go from been pretty interested in buying one even if you didn't really like reactivating your Facebook account to coming back and saying that you definitely wouldn't get one?

I think I read about it when it first came out and completely forgot, I used to have a Facebook account and it's been deactivated probably around 4 months or so ago and I don't want to activate it again, I actually keep meaning to go in and completely delete it.

I read a few things by Search Google and a fair Amazon reviews which confirmed I definitely don't want to reactivate the account

Soldato
I think I read about it when it first came out and completely forgot, I used to have a Facebook account and it's been deactivated probably around 4 months or so ago and I don't want to activate it again, I actually keep meaning to go in and completely delete it.

I read a few things by Search Google and a fair Amazon reviews which confirmed I definitely don't want to reactivate the account

Sorry, I know I keep asking this, and I am just curious, but what did you read?? Something you read in the last couple of hours made you do a complete u-turn.

Soldato
Sorry, I know I keep asking this, and I am just curious, but what did you read?? Something you read in the last couple of hours made you do a complete u-turn.

Having a live Facebook account requirement, potentially bricked with all software acquired lost if Facebook account is closed

I also just don't want to support the practice of paying for something and having to have an account for something I have no interest in to use it, having to create an account fine, having to create a social media account for a platform like Facebook which is just an utter cesspit of advertising, fake news and morons is too far for me

Soldato
Having a live Facebook account requirement, potentially bricked with all software acquired lost if Facebook account is closed

I also just don't want to support the practice of paying for something and having to have an account for something I have no interest in to use it, having to create an account fine, having to create a social media account for a platform like Facebook which is just an utter cesspit of advertising, fake news and morons is too far for me

You lose the software, but it's not bricked, you can use another account on it.

You don't have to log into your facebook once it's made. Or add any friends etc. You can literally create it, link it, and then never open that website again.

The facebook requirement is likely being dropped soon too i believe, but maybe it's worth you waiting until then.

Soldato

I think you missed my point. Why would your Facebook account be closed? They don't close account's for been inactive( and going back to my point, your account will never be inactive as you will be using the Quest 2) You know you can setup your facebook account as completely private, nobody can even search for you. Set it up as "only me" for everything.

You have an account already? So, you don't have create anything, just reactivate it, set it as private and don't ever open facebook again. Then get your Quest 2, set it as private too and never worry about the Facebook wall side of things again.

Would you have bought the headset if they had a separate account for the VR side and the "Facebook" side?

Soldato
Sounds really risky buying games etc linked to a Facebook account I'm never going to use, don't they close inactive accounts after a bit, not sure it's worth it tbh
But it's not inactive if you use your quest.
It's totally your choice if you want to boycott Facebook but it is a facebook product.

You can't get steam games without setting up a steam account either.... I haven't tried it tbh but is it possible to use an index with steamVR without signing up to steam?
It is true there was a problem early on with the migration to Facebook .... However afaik this was fixed ages ago. The quest 2 is the most popular vr headset in the world. If it was truly that much of a problem there would be way more horror stories imo.*****
If I believe everything on the internet then I would think governments were putting nanites in vaccines and if you want to talk about morons using a platform, look at the comments on steam. (I don't have a beef with valve they are just the easy comparison.... They are the company who started the nonsense of locking games behind an account, and yes I did rage at the time that I had to sign up to steam if I wanted to use my copy of half life 2...Often valve update their Ts and C's.. have you wondered what happens if you choose to disagree with their update (top tip don't do it if you want to keep your games)
That said Facebook are a dodgy company and I get why you may not want to support them (in which case it shouldn't be the account requirement putting you off but you giving them money full stop......... Also so are a lot of other companies who harvest data.

****Yes I realise I am totally gonna lose my account now thanks to fate.

Last edited:
Soldato
The Facebook account requirement was a massive misstep for Facebook/Meta, mainly because their support for Facebook account issues is so bad, and mostly run by bots due to the billions of accounts out there. Tying this to a product you pay for was a bad idea. At the very least Facebook should have setup a special support section to resolve Quest related facebook issues quickly. Also it should never have been possible to lose all your purchases for VR due to posts made on a social media platform unrelated to your VR usage.
Here's hoping the new meta accounts will solve these issues.

Back
Top Bottom