Any Renault mechanics here??

Soldato
I have a Renault Megan Scenic, and it's about 2 more alarms away from being smashed up on my drive-way! For the past few months the alarm has been randomly going off, for no reason at all. All doors are locked, nothing in or around the car to be setting it off, it just goes off. Tonight it went off 8 times in the Space of an hour. Not what I need from 1:30am :(

I did a bit of looking around and there seems to be ways of 'reducing sensitivity' by inserting the key-card, pressing the engine start button 5 times fast, then lock the car, this does very little. I even rang my local dealer who had no idea at all (helpful) but I need to know, is there a way to completely disarm the arm until I've got the money to get it in to a garage and looked at properly?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Tried that this morning. You have to pull some panel off the door handle to get the key in, and its only on the passenger side :/ and then it doesn't lock properly, lock seem really stiff so looking for a way to just disarm the alarm completely.

Soldato
Could also be the battery on it's way out. In the cold weather the voltage drop is enough to set off a sensitive alarm. The fact that it goes off in the early (and coldest) hours may suggest the battery as the culprit, this happened to the guy next door

Associate
I had the same problem with mine. I think you pull the start card out and then press the engine start button five times or something. This switches off the volumatic sensors. May solve your problem, but may not. I just parked mine around the corner. Problem solved ;)

Soldato
OP
OK, did the car start button thing, and 'apparently' it went off 5 times last night according to my neighbour but I didn't hear it and I fell asleep downstairs and didn't wake up to it once.

I was thinking, if I disconnected the battery tonight, will it cause me any problems tomorrow (especially with it needing a key fob to start)?

Associate
The alarm will still go off I think even with the battary disconected. Are you parking on a busy road? If so it could be cars whizzing past setting it off. This was the problem with mine. I just parked it around the corner on a quiet back street and it never went off. And if it did I could not hear it :)

Back
Top Bottom