• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any rumors as to when 3rd party vega 7 cards are coming?

Associate
OP
Makes me sad :(. I really want to support AMD by buying their v7 because with an OC it comes very close to a 2080 and sometimes a lil faster with 2x the vram...but that cooler just holds back substantial overclocking unless you run fans at 3000+rpm. oh well.

Associate
Makes me sad :(. I really want to support AMD by buying their v7 because with an OC it comes very close to a 2080 and sometimes a lil faster with 2x the vram...but that cooler just holds back substantial overclocking unless you run fans at 3000+rpm. oh well.

To be honest, I've seen worse coolers. Nvidia really doesn't need any more money at this point, they're already pricing their cards in the 'I can buy a car for less than this' region!

Soldato
Fortunately I have relationships with many aftermarket coolers, I'm not too picky.

Sadly xhamster doesn't have a Noctua scat colour category yet. :eek:

Associate
The Radeon VII apparently isn't making any profit because they cost too much to make. No 3rd party would want any part of that.

I still don't understand how or even why someone would run a business that way. It seems like madness to sell a product you aren't making any money on, particularly something as expensive as a GPU. :confused:

Soldato
I still don't understand how or even why someone would run a business that way. It seems like madness to sell a product you aren't making any money on, particularly something as expensive as a GPU. :confused:

Yeah but it's brand awareness. Getting the AMD name out there so people talk about it. Some companies spend millions on advertising which is also a loss. The hope is that they make the money back again many times over by selling more products.

The Radeon VII may even make a profit. It's hard to know which rumors are fact.

Associate
Yeah but it's brand awareness. Getting the AMD name out there so people talk about it. Some companies spend millions on advertising which is also a loss. The hope is that they make the money back again many times over by selling more products.

I suppose they don't really have a choice, given how many cards Nvidia are releasing these days, particularly at the higher end. Still, if you're not making money, that's a big problem.

Soldato
It’s not so much making a profit as making less of a loss. It is thought the chips used are salvaged from professional application chips that didn’t make the grade. So rather than make a huge loss you can fudge them into a gaming card and make less of a loss.

Caporegime

There is likely only a small loss if any, more likely a tiny profit that gets lost in some overheads. Whether it makes a small loss or profit is likely irrelevant. There maybe as few as 10-20K R7s being sold, higher estimates are still only about 50,000. If they made a $50 loss on each one that is $2.5M loss, which is liekly a ball-park figure for how much money AMD spent at CES on marketing.

Soldato
There is likely only a small loss if any, more likely a tiny profit that gets lost in some overheads. Whether it makes a small loss or profit is likely irrelevant. There maybe as few as 10-20K R7s being sold, higher estimates are still only about 50,000. If they made a $50 loss on each one that is $2.5M loss, which is liekly a ball-park figure for how much money AMD spent at CES on marketing.

And to push D.P.'s point a little further, if AMD simply discarded the packages rather than repurposing them, that could be hundreds of dollars loss on each one: make $2.5M loss by creating and selling Radeon VII, or $20M loss by just throwing things in the trash?

Soldato
Just get an R7 and either put it under water or live with the reference cooler, My temps are brill ingame, Undervolted to 980mv at stock clocks I'm sitting at around 70'c ingame with a fairly decent fan profile.

Back
Top Bottom