Any sim only deals with unlimited data for streaming using phone as hotspot for a roki/amazon stick?

Soldato
Hey.

My mum doesnt have a phone line and no net in house just on her phone, and i think she might like to watch bbc iplayer etc for catchup stuff but shes on a 4gb data tesco sim.

Is there anyway a phone with a unlimited data be used to hotspot so a amazon stick or one of them roki things can use the phones data to stream stuff on one of them sticks on her tv. I think its got a hdmi input tho i should check tbh. If so which company wont mind streaming this way i.e hotspot to use a stick to stream with.

Dont think she be on it all the time like but she might like to watch catchup on some shows now and then and when the familys round we can stick a film on using it perhaps. Dont think she wants to get a line put in or anything like virgin if its even available at hers.

Also is it true some mobile companies let u have free data for such things like bbc iplayer and other certain apps, i think i saw something like that on three once but not sure how that works.

Associate
Hey.

My mum doesnt have a phone line and no net in house just on her phone, and i think she might like to watch bbc iplayer etc for catchup stuff but shes on a 4gb data tesco sim.

Is there anyway a phone with a unlimited data be used to hotspot so a amazon stick or one of them roki things can use the phones data to stream stuff on one of them sticks on her tv. I think its got a hdmi input tho i should check tbh. If so which company wont mind streaming this way i.e hotspot to use a stick to stream with.

Dont think she be on it all the time like but she might like to watch catchup on some shows now and then and when the familys round we can stick a film on using it perhaps. Dont think she wants to get a line put in or anything like virgin if its even available at hers.

Also is it true some mobile companies let u have free data for such things like bbc iplayer and other certain apps, i think i saw something like that on three once but not sure how that works.

Not all companies allow a user to tether or use their contract as a wifi spot. i am with EE and on an unlimited data plan and they allow it.

You might be better of with a dedicated sim card router one of those mobile internet ones, and put your chosen sim card in that. EE does them. in fact i think most do them now. i think they are called MIFI hotspots. something liek that.

Man of Honour
Some providers don't include certain social media and streaming video in your data allowance but I think it only counts when using the app for those - if you do it via a tethered device and the website, etc. I think it still takes it from your allowance.

Unless a very prolific user or streaming a lot at 4K/UHD probably get away with a 150-200gig plan or so though unlimited can avoid any unwelcome surprises.

Soldato
Hey.

https://smarty.co.uk/plans/unlimited

have used one of these in a router and in a phone as a hot spot to tether with no issues. Uses three network and no contract, no credit check and can cancel anytime.

If she is ok with setting her phone as hot spot each time then this will be fine. Otherwise grab her a 4g router so she can permanent internet on with Wi-Fi

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unlocked-N...,B07Z5LWMNZ,B0921R2Z7J&srpt=NETWORKING_ROUTER

Man of Honour
You can get a Three business broadband data only sim for 24 months, costs £9.17+VAT per month for unlimited data.

Downside is, not sure if you have to be a business to buy it :) and there is no web portal to manage your account you have to buy and get support for it using webchat or calling them.

But its hella cheap. :)

Soldato

have used one of these in a router and in a phone as a hot spot to tether with no issues. Uses three network and no contract, no credit check and can cancel anytime.

If she is ok with setting her phone as hot spot each time then this will be fine. Otherwise grab her a 4g router so she can permanent internet on with Wi-Fi

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unlocked-Networks-Genuine-Warranty-Network/dp/B08235ZNPV/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=X9N6ULO3QU25&dchild=1&keywords=4g+router+huawei&qid=1635146280&qsid=262-0781087-8723039&sprefix=4g+router+hu&sr=8-3&sres=B08235ZNPV,B0815J4LQC,B07ZFSX8LB,B08KGLVPW6,B08173VG79,B08B43CHVZ,B07C1T1KGV,B07TK2X6NS,B08BWHDDBQ,B083X1543S,B06ZZL966Q,B07QHHJ3N2,B07Z5LWMNZ,B0921R2Z7J&srpt=NETWORKING_ROUTER
I too use the Smarty sim in a 4G router as my main internet in house
Bt line was 4 meg down on a good day
This Smarty gives me 80 meg+ most of the time

Soldato

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unlocked-Networks-Genuine-Warranty-Network/dp/B08235ZNPV/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=X9N6ULO3QU25&dchild=1&keywords=4g+router+huawei&qid=1635146280&qsid=262-0781087-8723039&sprefix=4g+router+hu&sr=8-3&sres=B08235ZNPV,B0815J4LQC,B07ZFSX8LB,B08KGLVPW6,B08173VG79,B08B43CHVZ,B07C1T1KGV,B07TK2X6NS,B08BWHDDBQ,B083X1543S,B06ZZL966Q,B07QHHJ3N2,B07Z5LWMNZ,B0921R2Z7J&srpt=NETWORKING_ROUTER

This is probably your best approach. Running your phone on hotspot regularly will chew away at the battery, so better to have a dedicated device.

Back
Top Bottom