Any stand out TV's in the 49-50" range (sub £1K)

Soldato
I’m looking to replace my ageing 1080 Panny LCD. (I think it was one of their first edge lit models.) It’s been a good set, decent image and fault free for nigh on 10 years. Obviously times have moved on and it’s showing its age, with some shadowing, mainly along the lower edge, which I guess it dust ingress due to age or possibly delamination of the screen substrates.

So it’s time to look for an alternative. It’s a 42” model, but a quick measure shows there is little difference in size between new 49-50” models because they have next to no bezel. Heart would like to go bigger, but head says anything larger would dominate the room completely.

So the question is what is the sweet spot for 49-50 sets (£1000 max) Is there as stand-out set amongst the chaff? My main signal source is a Sky HD box or Blu-ray.

Soldato
OP
Cheers, I'm just having a little "Google" at what there is about at the moment, with a view to going and having a look tomorrow.

As per the linked thread, I'm restricted to something less than 50" really. I was trying to root out any panels that have FALD, but for the most part they are a little sparse with the information and simply list "Local dimming" which covers a multitude of sins.

The Panasonic, TX-50GX800B caught my eye, it sits at around the £700 mark, so falls within budget. (no FALD)

Rather than all the latest and greatest features I'd rather have a set that has the best image performance I can find. The SONY KD-49XG9005, seems to draw praise from most quarters so I wanted to have a look at one of those, as it looks like it just falls within my price bracket. It's not really rational, but my previous set was a SONY and was a bit of a lemon reliability wise, so wouldn't have been my natural first choice.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well I didn't get chance at the weekend to have a look-see, however had a shufty last evening. Goes without saying the in-store viewing setup is less than ideal, but looked to be a one horse race. The KD-49XG900, was hands down the best for brightness and clarity and was the only set on display that didn't exhibit a significant drop off in brightness/contrast with wide viewing angles. I didn't have chance to get my hands on the remote so can't comment on it's functionality/features, or ease of navigation. I'd like to have a look at a Samsung QE49Q70R, but they didn't have one on display.

Soldato
OP
If you can wait until next year, LG are releasing a 49 inch OLED, otherwise 49XG9005 is the best.

I was hoping Santa would read my letter and sort it by Xmas if possible..;):)

The G9005, is up to yet the best I've seen in the flesh. There are just a couple of things that are less than ideal. (for me) First off is that the screen area is shiny rather than the very slightly frosted type which help kill reflections. Also for my use the feet on the stand are quite a long way apart so may necessitate center mount stand.

I would imagine a 49" OLED would still be the wrong side of a £1K??

Soldato
I was hoping Santa would read my letter and sort it by Xmas if possible..;):)

The G9005, is up to yet the best I've seen in the flesh. There are just a couple of things that are less than ideal. (for me) First off is that the screen area is shiny rather than the very slightly frosted type which help kill reflections. Also for my use the feet on the stand are quite a long way apart so may necessitate center mount stand.

I would imagine a 49" OLED would still be the wrong side of a £1K??

I reckon it could start about £1200, but then as it gets to May/June it could be around £1k. Really depends whether LG decide to price it competitively with other top 49 inch TVs from Sony and Samsung. But even If it starts at £1500 I reckon it will be around £1k by around this time next year.

Personally I would hold out for the LG 49 inch OLED, as nothing else will be able to compete at that size.

Soldato
OP
While undoubtedly OLED appears to be the superior technology for image quality, do they not still have issues with image "burn-in" over time? With almost every channel having it's own logo or information banner. Can that be an issue?

Soldato
I know it's easy to say but just save up a bit more and get an OLED. The viewing experience is just far superior to LCD and if you are willing to spend a grand on a TV then surely you can go that little bit further to make the most of your money?

Soldato
OP
I know it's easy to say but just save up a bit more and get an OLED. The viewing experience is just far superior to LCD and if you are willing to spend a grand on a TV then surely you can go that little bit further to make the most of your money?

I sort of agree, but you have to draw the line somewhere. I don't really want to spend a £1K!! (I'm tight) Initially I thought £6-£700 would do the job. However taking the time to look at stuff in the flesh, there is a noticeable/obvious difference if you do spend the extra. You can certainly get lost in looking for the latest and greatest specs and pay top dollar for them. I tend to go with what I perceive to be decent image quality (I know that's subjective unless you have bags of free cash to get things calibrated) I'm sure the same argument holds true about spending a little more and stepping up to an OLED. However as I'm limited by space to a 50" I can't convince myself that spending £1200-1500 is justifiable.

I still want to have a look at a Sansung QE49Q70R. It might be cheaper in the long run to buy a sledge hammer and modify the living room to accommodate a bigger screen..;):)

Soldato
I sort of agree, but you have to draw the line somewhere. I don't really want to spend a £1K!! (I'm tight) Initially I thought £6-£700 would do the job. However taking the time to look at stuff in the flesh, there is a noticeable/obvious difference if you do spend the extra. You can certainly get lost in looking for the latest and greatest specs and pay top dollar for them. I tend to go with what I perceive to be decent image quality (I know that's subjective unless you have bags of free cash to get things calibrated) I'm sure the same argument holds true about spending a little more and stepping up to an OLED. However as I'm limited by space to a 50" I can't convince myself that spending £1200-1500 is justifiable.

I still want to have a look at a Sansung QE49Q70R. It might be cheaper in the long run to buy a sledge hammer and modify the living room to accommodate a bigger screen..;):)
i was in the same boat as you apart from the space limitation. I sent almost 2 years looking at TVs around the 1k mark and nothing would ever really come close to an OLED for picture quality and viewing experience.

In the end i figured that im likely to have the TV for 7 to 10 years like my old 40 inch LCD then i wanted to have the best viewing experience that i could get for value vs quality. In the end i stumped up 1400 quid for the 55 inch C8 OLED TV and to be quite frank im absolutely blown away by the quality. Ive even spent more time with the wife as a result watching all types of programs and series that we wouldnt have done before which is pretty cool.

I guess in the end for me i figured that if i spent a bit more money and got the OLED under the expectation that it will last a good 7 - 10 years then the extra money didnt really matter. It was then just a case of sitting back patently and waiting to strike when a good deal comes up. Was it worth it for me? Yes totally worth it and i love the TV more than i even expected and im pretty savvy when it comes to tech specs and the like.

Caporegime
While undoubtedly OLED appears to be the superior technology for image quality, do they not still have issues with image "burn-in" over time? With almost every channel having it's own logo or information banner. Can that be an issue?

If you don't watch the same channel for several hours every day for months on end it should be fine but ideally you need to vary your viewing habits, some channels should be fine as they aren't bright white logos but things like the white BBC banners will be a killer long term. The panels have some kind of maintenance cycle that operates every night but it can't work miracles.

If you don't want to have to nanny your TV then I'd avoid OLED but otherwise the picture is stunning, top end QLED is more expensive and still suffer blooming.

Panasonic GX800 is probably a good choice but it doesn't get bright enough for proper HDR, it's even less bright than OLED and without the flawless black levels. Similar story with the Q60R.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
i was in the same boat as you apart from the space limitation. I sent almost 2 years looking at TVs around the 1k mark and nothing would ever really come close to an OLED for picture quality and viewing experience.

In the end i figured that im likely to have the TV for 7 to 10 years like my old 40 inch LCD then i wanted to have the best viewing experience that i could get for value vs quality. In the end i stumped up 1400 quid for the 55 inch C8 OLED TV and to be quite frank im absolutely blown away by the quality. Ive even spent more time with the wife as a result watching all types of programs and series that we wouldnt have done before which is pretty cool.

I guess in the end for me i figured that if i spent a bit more money and got the OLED under the expectation that it will last a good 7 - 10 years then the extra money didnt really matter. It was then just a case of sitting back patently and waiting to strike when a good deal comes up. Was it worth it for me? Yes totally worth it and i love the TV more than i even expected and im pretty savvy when it comes to tech specs and the like.

Yeah, I take an age to choose. I look at the specs, find as many reviews as I can and still faff about way too much. That said, spec alone can be misleading and what should on paper be the logical choice, doesn't always live up to expectations. But I guess we all have our own idea of what the perfect picture is?

I really would like to take advantage of stepping up to a 55" but just do not have the space. Likewise I also keep my sets for a while, current set is nigh on 10 years old (TX-42D25B) I have no idea how often is considered the norm, but would imagine many folk hang on to them for somewhere near that.

OLED appears to "set the bar" at the moment, but as there is nothing at the 49-50" range at the moment, you are limited to as good an LED as you can find. I may wait until the promised LG appears but I have the itch to swap before the end of the year.

If you don't watch the same channel for several hours every day for months on end it should be fine but ideally you need to vary your viewing habits, some channels should be fine as they aren't bright white logos but things like the white BBC banners will be a killer long term. The panels have some kind of maintenance cycle that operates every night but it can't work miracles.

If you don't want to have to nanny your TV then I'd avoid OLED but otherwise the picture is stunning, top end QLED is more expensive and still suffer blooming.

Panasonic GX800 is probably a good choice but it doesn't get bright enough for proper HDR, it's even less bright than OLED and without the flawless black levels. Similar story with the Q60R.

OLED may be problematic, ours does tend to be left on BBC news for hour after hour, so even though it's the best choice image wise may not be pragmatic in the long term. Also in the past I've found that initially when you get a new set, you spend ages looking at the picture, tweaking this that and the other. It's only when you've had them a while you start to watch the content again. Plus you become used to your own setup after a time.

Also I don't stay on top of what is the latest and greatest feature wise, I only start to look every 10 years or so when it's time for an upgrade. What are the "must haves" to at least make it future proof to some degree?

Caporegime
The Samsung Q70R is a step up from the Panasonic GX800 on paper but imo last years Panasonic FX750 had a very consistent picture (very little backlight bleed, no blooming as not FALD etc.) and I'd assume the GX800 will be an improvement? they're just not great for HDR since the panels are only about 400-500 nits peak brightness.

Back
Top Bottom