Any tips for road tripping around France?

Soldato
one thing I noticed when I was in Paris and got a lift from work back to my hotel by a local is that if there is a big queue of traffic at a set of lights, as soon as they go green everyone in the queue starts moving forwards at the same time, makes sense to some extent compared to here where you wait for the car in front of you to start moving.

Being driven about in Paris was interesting.
Paris is as representative of France as London is of England.

Down here in Le Sticks, you have old geezers whose reaction time in their 600cc diesel San Permits “No Licence” is measured in Gauloises, not seconds.

Soldato
OP
Just managed to order the tag so thats one thing off the list.

I've just driven in France for the first time and driving on the right in a RHD is fine after about 10 minutes. On the motorways lane discipline was much better than the UK (and less traffic when we were travelling) so motorway driving was much more pleasant than the UK. I originally sat at 70mph/112kph GPS speed in our little fiesta but after a while was more like 75mph just because pulling out into the fast lane is easier at that speed when frenchies are doing 125 to 140kph.

We were mid-week and didn't queue much at all on the motorway tolls, but it did cost about 75e to get from Calais to Lyon.

They have little services every 15km or so with just little parks / benches and toilets which are a bit nicer than the large services we get here (although they do have those too).

That seems excessive, 75euro from Calais to Lyon?! I've just checked now actually and tolls are going to be between 200-250e for our trip :cry:

Back
Top Bottom