Any WoW old schoolers?

Soldato
Started in June '05 and was there on the start morning for the Laughing Skull and possibly Lightning Blade servers, but I quit four months later. Had some lols, but it was mainly grind, grind, grind...

Came back for a week or so in '11 to discover it had all gone a bit easy mode. To my dismay I also discovered Ironforge was no longer the main hub for the alliance. I loved that place. :(

My overall impression was that WoW just seemed a tad quaint.

Associate
Played US Beta And Retail which was about 6 months before it came out in EU
Then Played EU Retail on Hellscream I normaly only play till max level and stop WoW is boring as hell these days not like the 40 man raid's we used to do back in the day
Did come back for a while and played the market started with 100g by the end of the month had 200.000 gold cash plus 400.000ish in stock but got bored of that lol :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I played quite a lot at release then would resub every 5 or so months once the expansions started coming out. I last subbed about 4 months ago and I'm quite sure I won't be returning. I guess I want to relive the experience I used to get from that game during the early days but that's gone forever.

I miss openworld PvP the most. Contested questing areas were the most amusing. 30-40 horde and alliance fighting outside tarren mill not for experience or rewards, just because it was fun. I still remember my first kill with my rogue in ashenvale :)

Ahh, Tarren Mill, the memories....... :D

I started playing on EU release day and I stopped playing a few months before TBC came out, just got bored of it and I knew I would have to stop playing it eventually as I was about to go into navy basic training. Had a 60 rogue, 60 warrior, 40 something hunter, 49 warlock and a lv30 mage as well as a lv60 shaman. This was back when it took more than 5 seconds to level up.

The rogue was my main but I always enjoyed playing warrior more and it was a more involving class to play in instances. I pvp'd a fair bit before I packed it in, and got to rank 1 on the server, just because I could(it was never about skill, just time played). Overall I enjoyed my time playing WoW, I just dont think I could commit enough time to play it anymore as i'm one of these people who can play a game to death

Associate
The one thing I did like about PVP in vanilla WoW was the ranking system, if they had streamlined that to be better instead of the point system in place now it would have been cool.

Some dude in my guild was nearly High Warlord and his PC packed in and got demoted down to like rank 6 or something, bad times! but he managed to get it before they changed it :D

Associate
The one thing I did like about PVP in vanilla WoW was the ranking system, if they had streamlined that to be better instead of the point system in place now it would have been cool.

Some dude in my guild was nearly High Warlord and his PC packed in and got demoted down to like rank 6 or something, bad times! but he managed to get it before they changed it :D

warlord.jpg

Required another week of solid farming to get that last 0.x% (that wasn't me, just someone I used to play with)

I actually liked the old honor system, I got Rank 11 on 1 character and rank 10 on 2 others while at school. Unfortunately I wouldn't have time to do it again these days but some of my best memories are from farming bg's for hours on end. Top ranking horde premade vs top ranking alliance premade ftw

Last edited:
Associate
My better memories of WoW were vanilla and TBC, the PvP ranking of vanilla and the fact that every epic item actually required hard work to earn was brilliant.

TBC had the best 25 man raids and bosses, the best moments were the first vashj and kael'thas kills (although Illidan was a pretty sweet fight as well) :D

Once the pre-wotlk nerfs hit the game became a joke, then when wotlk actualy hit and deathknights started rolling around the whole game became a bit silly really. I did raid in wotlk but nowhere near as much.

I do own cataclysm but subbed on and off, I did have a go when the raidfinder came out but it just seemed like there were no tactics with people just ninjoring loot they already had whilst tanking and spanking each boss.

I dont think I will ever return to the game now, I dont want to be in a group with a freaking panda. Seriously, why did they have to add pandas I just dont get it!

Soldato
warlord.jpg

Required another week of solid farming to get that last 0.x% (that wasn't me, just someone I used to play with)

I actually liked the old honor system, I got Rank 11 on 1 character and rank 10 on 2 others while at school. Unfortunately I wouldn't have time to do it again these days but some of my best memories are from farming bg's for hours on end. Top ranking horde premade vs top ranking alliance premade ftw

I only managed field marshal. Just missed grand marshall and was gutted :(

Associate
I started playing a couple months before TBC so I didn't experience end-game vanilla.

As far as personal experience goes TBC was the pinnacle of difficulty balance and early WoTLK was when I had the most fun with the game due to the guilds I was in. Ever since then I've only played on and off...

On a side note though might give GW2 a pop :)

Associate
Been playing since EU launch.
Still playing too. My sub hasnt lapsed once.

Been raiding since the beginning too.

Seen loads of people pass through the guild.

Some 'HARD CORE RAAA!!!111'. Some so laid back you wonder how they exist in real life.

The funny thing is, with the Hard core lot, is that they have to justify their existance with a game. If its not hard enough, then they quit.
Or they dont 'feel' its hard enough. Or the the game doesnt reward their 16hour long gaming marathons.

I play for fun.

Probably why Ive been playing so long.

Last edited:
Associate
Started with the US client which was released about 4 months before EU launch - played Paladin to 43, got horrificly bored (Seal of command = praying to win lottery) and picked up the game again when it was released in EU.

Rolled Warrior and enjoyed it a lot more over Paladin at launch of the game since they felt really unpolished. Even though it was HELL to level one back then I enjoyed the challenge.

My fondest memories were before the battlegrounds were released - world PvP was by far the most fun I had in the game (mostly recall action in Eastern/Western Plaguelands and raids on Horde towns following up to Undercity), fear of being jumped by a Rogue and that inevitable dreaded stunlock out in the open :D
Also the old school PvP system, had to grind so much to get the big titles and there was a sense of achievement in that.

I also miss how insanely hard the level 60 dungeons were to begin with, Scholomance in particular I recall endless wiping and many hours before finishing it - then again this was with 10-15 random people as you could 'raid' dungeons back then, and the organization was never that tight. So much fun though!

WotLK was where the feel of the game started to wear thin for me - don't get me wrong even though it felt more 'theme parked' linear I really enjoyed levelling up to 85, loved Grizzly Hills in particular. This and the whole "welfare epics" that just got easier and easier to obtain.

Cataclysm felt very flat and gave up shortly after reaching 85, though I did raid a bit to see how it is and continued to do arena/battlegrounds now and then. Ultimately felt no compulsion to play anymore at this point, I would say it's a mixture of nostalgia and the direction the game developed in.

Last edited:
Associate
Yep, lost the urge to play during Cata. Game hasn't really changed since TBC and they are just dragging it on like COD. Not surprised they are losing subscribers.
I really cant see the reason to play it anymore, all it consists of is farming pvp/pve and then waiting for a new expansion. People still playing it are well and truly hooked by Blizz.

Associate
Aye exactly, there's the whole debate about how the game changed since Blizzard merged with Activision - I believe that's where the game became more centered around appealing to as many players as possible as opposed to carefully tailoring the game to how its initial player base loved it. People might argue with that but to me that's a logical assumption to make considering well, it's Activision. *shudder*

Associate
The reason everyone loves Vanilla WoW: Nostalgia.

Want to tank? Roll Warrior.
Need gold for lots of respecs? Good luck.
AQ40 is current content and you've never raided? No need for you, impossible to gear for it.
Want to play a mage? Learn how to press frostbolt over and over again with the occasional blizzard.
Need to find a group? Spend hours asking in trade chat only for the group to wipe on the first boss and disband
Want a fast mount? Have fun grinding.
Want Blessing of Kings? Innervation? etc etc - best get the right talent points
40 man raids - so much afking

There was plenty of things wrong with Vanilla that have been improved now. The reason people loved it and with TBC (myself included), was because for many it was their first MMO and it still had that new feel. TBC raiding was epic - Illidan and Kael'Thas were awesome fights.

Of course the direction WoW has gone now isn't great with Looking for raid etc. But I have no problems with people being able to gear up easier. As I've stated, if you didn't raid Molten Core it was tough to get into any raiding guild as you didn't have the gear and couldn't keep up.

Another reason for Vanilla and TBC being praised highly is the people you played with. I was in a guild throughout Vanilla and TBC and played with the same people, got to know them, met them irl etc. Was a good laugh. Now people have quit - it's not the same playing experience. You're having to join new guilds which is fine, but it takes time to get to know people like you did before.

When people talk about Vanilla being awesome they are looking at it with heavily rose tinted glasses. Many people preferred vanilla but if they were put back in it now they would hate it I guarantee it!

I have palyed on 60, 70 and 80 servers, as well as retail (ofc) from early-tbc to late-wrath. My experiance of the positives and negatives of vanilla I would say is quite impartial. It is not only about the nostalgia.

Some of the strong positives:

Raids where epic in scale (World boss dragons, AQ40 etc)
Good crowd control was required, none of this AOE spam
Open world pvp and long and enjoyable battlegrounds.
Even of private-servers, AV can last hours.
Good zones, lore and music
No flying mounts, means people actually fight for resources
No dalies, no weekly mandatory badge grinds, play when you/your guild wants to
Gear scaling was more reasonable than it is now (resilience, item level inflation)

The disadvantages:

Inbalanced pvp (rogues/warriors)
Inbalanced pve between the classes
Horrible talent trees (lol balance, lol demo)
Respec costs
Organisation difficulty for raiding

Soldato
Hate the current game. Vanilla was epic.

Arena and BGs destroyed World PVP which was ludicrous fun.
Travelling to Raids. Ganking outside guild v guild.
No ridiculous stats. No "pvp power" or whatever it is now. No rating, just percentages.
Sense of family in the guild.
Epic quests (Anathema/Hunter Bow)
low level dungeons still worth doing. These days grind straight to 85, skip all content.
40 man raids. You just cant describe the sheer scale of organising 40 people. So much fun.
Actual need for CC, although that seems to have been re-introduced.

Associate
...this thread reminds me of the time my grandparents told me how everything was great in the 40s.

Wow was a great game in vanilla, there were faults, but it was accessible and fun. Over time it has become a different game, but set it the mmo benchmark high.

Soldato
I played since June 05 until jan 12 still got anual pass though.

I do think a lot of whats wrong with the game is just the community now as people are so horrible to each other theres no sense of teamwork or respect for the most part.

Vanilla and TBC were great

I think mainly its just who you play with if you have been in a solid guild for ages and made many friends then its great.
I actually stopped playing as i was sick of joining 25 man guilds for them to disband a few months later I just couldnt be bothered anymore.

Associate
I joined a few months before TBC and really enjoyed plowing through vanilla & TBC. Then wrath went out - was meh but continued playing. Cataclysm came out and I really can't be bothered to raid, level, quest etc... I would PVP but the whole system seems messed up.

I will most likely give MOP a pop, but if they want to keep there player base high, they need it right from the start.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom