Anybody here been to bristol uni? MechEng specifically.

Associate
Hey guys, been looking into Bristol Uni as well as oxford, on the off chance that i get a place for mech engineering.

Any body have any views on accomodation / courses at either or just general comments?

Would like a uni that is in this general region of the midlands and that is good for mech eng... So also open to other unis as well.

Soldato
HERE COMES NITEFLY!!!!
You are talking about Bristol so you may as well talk about Bath as it's nearby and decent. I am in the process of deciding my first choice and Bristol is on the table, so I may see you there. I think it's a fairly decent Uni, I want to hear about accommodation as well as it's pretty much the deciding factor between my choices. I think Bristol is right next to Clifton which is quite an upmarket area, it's really quite a nice place tbh.

Last edited:
Associate
Bristol is rated highly for Mech eng, has very nice links with aero companies... I'm currently doing Mech eng at bath, can't rate the course highly enough really, but i'm finding it incredibly difficult, you couldnt go wrong with either. They're both great cities.. bath is a bit quieter I guess, the nights out are OK, not fantastic (i come from Birmingham so the nights out there are nice and messy) but you wont really have time to be out on the town 100% of the time with an engineering course :p ...

Birmingham is still a good choice, but not quite as good as bath and bristol imo ... (forget about Loughborough, in my opinion and the opinion of many others including people in industry i've spoken to its just not up in the league of the ones i've mentioned) ...

I wasn't aware Oxford did engineering ( I thought only Cambridge did), but be aware engineering is a tough course (in the words of my interviewer at Birmingham "the only people who work harder than engineering students are medical students") - so doing engineering at Oxbridge will be even harder, and you've gotta be sure you're up to it-- A 2.1 from Birmingham is "better" than a 2.2 from Oxford regardless of the fact that the 2.2 may have been harder to obtain...

sorry for the rather disjointed ramblings, hopefully i've given you some things to consider

Last edited:
Associate
I stayed in university hall (stoke bishop) for all 3 years. Looks pants from the outside, but a great social life back then, cheapest place in the city and the flats were actually damn decent inside.

I did elec & electronic eng and it was good.

FluffySheep

Man of Honour
HERE COMES NITEFLY!!!!.

Damn straight.

Basically if you don't go to Bristol you have lost. My home town is Oxford and just, no. No no no no. The idea of studying in Oxford compared to Bristol makes me cry.

I have written a big post before on the pros of Bristol, but I can't find it right now *sob*

I stayed in university hall (stoke bishop) for all 3 years. Looks pants from the outside, but a great social life back then, cheapest place in the city and the flats were actually damn decent inside.
Ewwww :p

Man of Honour
Bristol > Bath

Bath - the quaint and pretty side of Bristol minus the vitality and diversity. University is up a massive hill and on a campus. Bath students go to Bristol for night-life, which is almost non-existent in Bath. Alarm bells should be ringing by now.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
I'm at UoB doing Envi. Geoscience at the moment, living in Uni Hall as a first year and absolutely loving the place. Just simply would not want to be anywhere else.

Man of Honour
Bristol's nightlife? I personally guarantee that Sheffield's a better night out.

>:3

I'm not going to say that Sheffield is bad or poopoo it because I hear very good things, but Bristol's nightlife is just super win. There is absolutely everything going on there. There is no losing.

As far as I have heard, Manchester, Sheffield, Bristol, Liverpool and London are the best nightspots in the UK.

Man of Honour
Basically this is now a popularity contest between me and Moses and you know I'm better and more handsome - if you don't go to Bristol I'll pee in your soup.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
On a more serious note - the engineers I know love the place, the city's brilliant to live in, the union's the best in the country, the nightlife's amazing, you'll be able to be my friend, there aren't stupid west country accents, etc.

Good luck finding a west country accent at UoB!

Soldato
Had an interview at Bristol almost a decade ago, I seem to remember at the time they were ploughing lots of money into the Engineering Department.

Was quite funny really, they said my interview went really well and as a result they'd take me if I got AAB at A level, I had to try so hard not to burst out laughing. No chance I was getting near that at the time, if i'd have known they wanted grades like that I wouldn't have wasted their time.

Associate
Visited Bristol uni and loved it - friend studying history in halls. Social life was awesome unlike places like kent . Lots of pretty girls ! This is the deciding factor if the banksy art isnt!

Okay maybe opinions of the course should be considered alittle!

alx

alx

Soldato
Bath - the quaint and pretty side of Bristol minus the vitality and diversity. University is up a massive hill and on a campus. Bath students go to Bristol for night-life, which is almost non-existent in Bath. Alarm bells should be ringing by now.

Ok it's no Bristol, but the nightlife in Bath is pretty decent these days (I always had lots of fun when I went out). It's improved massively in the past 5 years or so, I rarely hear of people going to Bristol these days unless they're into a specific 'scene' or going to a gig etc.

Also Bath won univeristy of the year 2011/12 :p.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok it's no Bristol, but the nightlife in Bath is pretty decent these days (I always had lots of fun when I went out). It's improved massively in the past 5 years or so, I rarely hear of people going to Bristol these days unless they're into a specific 'scene' or going to a gig etc.

Also Bath won univeristy of the year 2011/12 :p.

I thought Sheffield won University of the year, or do you mean a different set of awards? edit/ I see Bath was the Sunday Times' University of the Year. They both appear to be the University of the Year from the same institution :p

For Mech Eng it's pretty hard to narrow down between the courses - I suggest you visit the cities and departments to see which you prefer. Sheffield engineering departments give you free food on open days, so this might sway it for you :p (oh, and why Oxford rather than Cambridge? Eng at Cam is #1 in the UK, better on the world ranking and has some excellent staff)

Back
Top Bottom