1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody rent a garage/lockup?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Batf1nk, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Batf1nk

Wise Guy

If you do, how much do you pay, and how did you go about finding it?

(I know some of you do from the 'show us your garage' thread)

I'm so jealous of some of you!

Im desperate not to sell my jdm fleet but with the crap weather we've been having and the lack of space i cant work on them anywhere near as much as i'd like.

They're just sitting there rusting away :(

2. agw_01

Capodecina

I'm looking into it at the moment.

Found a nice place on an industrial estate... could fit about 6 cars in there, think it's about £200 a month.

Have a word with the council, look in the paper, go for a drive around other lock-ups and see if there are any available units.

3. DingleBerry

Wise Guy

I'm paying £50 a month for mine. But I've got power, lights, drainage and almost water and I can do pretty much what I want in there/to it. Its pretty long and tall too (room to suspend kayaks from the roof). And there are no garages in Lancaster. Far too many terraces!

I just rang the landlords in the area to see what they had. £200 for a 6 car unit isn't bad going, I always assumed they'd cost more than that. Would be worth getting a few mates together.

4. ste_bla

Sgarrista

5. Batf1nk

Wise Guy

Good info so far fellas. £200 a month is a bargain for a lockup of that size.

I've tried the council who turned out to be pretty useless. I'll give the industrial estates a go over the weekend.

Good link Ste but they're too small or too expensive! Thanks though will keep checking it.

6. Stinky

Sgarrista

i used to pay £15 a week for my double garage

7. InvaderGIR

Capodecina

But being in backwards Devon doesn't count. :p

I'd have though looking in the local papers should bring up some stuff, also google can be handy, but lots of places may not have anything done on the web, so I'd check local area (by visiting places) and also the papers. :)

InvG

8. volospian

Mobster

Does that mean you just get to keep any condensation :D

I rented one off one fo the wifes friends for £5 a week. She was quite fit and single, so I often thought I might be able to pay... in another way ;)

Seems she had other thoughts on the matter :D

9. DingleBerry

Wise Guy

The amount that was coming through the roof at one point you'd not be far off! Fixed now thank god. I can hook up a hose next door so its like water...but less convenient.

10. Batf1nk

Wise Guy

Found a load of council lockups today on a local industrial estate. I called the number but nobody answered.

Got a feeling they'll cost a fair bit though. Will go out again later.

11. al123

Wise Guy

My local council want £8.50 + VAT a week for a garage at the end of the street I live on.

I didn’t bother because I have a two car drive (not many people do where I live) and also the people that already rent them park vans etc in front of the garages, so it would be a nightmare actually getting into it a lot of the time.

12. mejinks

Mobster

We just had a rent increase on ours where we keep the caraven. It went from £30 a year to £50 a year, the robbing gits..

13. James_N

Sgarrista

I rent a single garage off the council for 6 quid a week.

14. ZG002

Sgarrista

im going to have to look into this. Would love some garage space.

My cousin was offered a share for £10 a week last year. But the lad who was sorting it all out proved not to be trusted unfortantly.

15. Proc

Wise Guy

I rent a garage from my local council, cost me about £7 a week i think it is.

16. ThomP

Gangster

I rent a single garage from wulvern housing for £9. I would really like a double garage though, it just isn't big enough.

17. steve45

Wise Guy

£7.50 + VAT per week, for the garage i rent from the council.
    its quite literally across the road from my house, but its quite small and really not enough room to work in, but its peace of mind having it in there rather than out on the street.

18. Lopéz

Man of Honour

I used to pay £30 a month for a big garage (fit 2 cars plus lots of junk) which was alright I suppose.

Got my own garage now but it's too bloody small to do much work in.

19. agw_01

Capodecina

Further to my above post, me and a few mates have just got ourselves a place.

£250 a month, which works out at £20 a week for each of us.

Quite a big place, fits 4 cars and the price includes water and electricity.

20. adam cool dude

Mobster

Rent a garage with a mate for 8 pounds a week from the council and split it between both us. Use it mainly for tinkering or when one of us goes abroad for peace of mind. It's a lot better then working on the side of the road with weird people looking at you. It actually served as a bed one night because i got too drunk, my misses was fast asleep and i had no keys! ><. Multi-functional ;)