Anyone a car dealer?

Soldato
Afternoon all,

As the title really, anyone here a car dealer?

Toying with the idea, however not a lot of information on it can be found - for example trade plates and the like.

I was wondering if anyone has/had any experience and could shed the light?

I'm aware money is the biggest obstacle, but putting that aside just to get some clarification as to what is involved??

Soldato
What is primarily involved is buying cars and selling cars. Everything else is much of a muchness and a detail.

If you can source good quality stock, and you can find a good location to sell them and attract customers, then great. If you don't have any idea about these, don't bother.

Soldato
As above, don't get ideas of heading down to auction, picking up 10 £1k cars and making an easy £500 profit on each.

The only strategy close to this that will work is picking up 2/3 year old ex lease cars - but even then you're up against people who have been doing it for a long, long time and know when to back out. Plus you need significant funds to be able to actually do this, have the cars sitting waiting to sell for the right price and deal with any post sales faults.

Soldato
Being a buyer in any category is always more of a skill than 99% of people give credit for. On top of that I'd say used cars are one of the most complex items to buy. All in all I'd say it's a very hard job so good luck!

Soldato
Only really worth it if you can open a garage/bodyshop at the same time. A few of my high school mates did this and means they can subsidise the cost of repairs of any cars they buy. As said, its a lot of work and they all work 6 days a week minimum. 7 if they really need to shift cars

Soldato
[TW]Fox;28023583 said:
The used car market needs more random guys with a set of trade plates flogging cheap cars from a driveway.

You have a problem with this don't you? Perhaps it provides buyers that don't have "garage" money to purchase a cheap/first car. If he buys good part-ex stock and does everything properly paper and insurance wise I don't see a problem?

Back
Top Bottom