Anyone a member of IAM?

Soldato
So... Basically I want to be a better driver. I don't think I'm bad at the moment, far from it. I wouldn't mind doing the course and adding another string to my bow, you can't have too much knowledge.

I'd also like to learn a lot about driving quickly, track driving if you like. Obviously the IAM isn't the place for this. I'm based near Glasgow and noticed Knockhill offer some courses, anyone been and done anything with them?

I drive an 03 mondeo 2.0 petrol at the moment and I would like to swap it next year for something with a bit of kick and would like to be completely in control and use it to it's full potential.

Anyone got any advice of places to learn or visit?

IAM worth the cash? Waste of time?

Soldato
Be great for learning a few new techniques and being more aware.

However every car is different and I am a strong believer of there is no substitute for road experience. What I mean is the longer you drive the better your hazard perception gets and your overall control of the vehicle becomes more natural.

I see no reason why you couldn't move up from a 2.0 Mondeo to something more powerful and be able to handle it with the experience you have. Obviously I mean in day to day driving and not going round like a wanna be racing driver.

Not sure what benefits it has to insurance for younger drivers.

Man of Honour
I went to a meeting once. I was the youngest there, the next youngest being at a conservative estimate, about 75.

It was a waste of time. I know that the ROSPA courses are well thought of within the biking community. It might be worth looking into their driving courses?

Tea Drinker
Don
My driving has completely changed since my IAM taster and reading the Roadcraft book.

The largest adjustment was completely separating braking and changing gear unless you need to overlap a downshift as you are slowing on a decline. So much more relaxed and smoother.

Soldato
I got bought a few sessions for my birthday and just this week completed my observation and correction with the test next week.

I'm not sure what to think of it at the moment. I was supposed to have 2x 3 hour sessions but mine only lasted 1:30-2 hours tops...the instructor felt I was a competent driver so cut each session short. I could do everything that was asked and she felt my commentary was satisfactory even on my observational drive. She did comment that because I'd passed relatively recently, 2006, there was not much to bring me up to speed on.

We'll see what happens after the test but to me at the moment I think that if I'd have paid for this I'd feel a bit cheated. It saves a few bob on the insurance though, around £60.

Associate
I did the course a few years ago now but couldn't get my head around the commentary side of things, so didn't take the test. What I learned was invaluable though and has made me a much safer driver, so I'd recommend it. But as others have said you might find the ROSPA course better.

Soldato
I've had tastes of both. IAM as above said seemed to be really a bunch of older folks and the course not as thorough as the RoSPA Course.

I took it as part of my Emergency Driving course (Blue lights etc) and acheived a Silver standard. I would reccomend both watching and reading the Roadcraft stuff if you're going to do it.

The stuff I learned both for my normal and Emergency driving though is invaluable. The commentary is quite hard but once you get going it flows a fair bit. We had to commentate each of our blue light runs and our final test run competantly in order to pass.

Associate
I looked into it after a guy from the IAM came to our work to do a talk. Work would even pay for the course if we decided to do it. It seemed pretty good until I ran an insurance quote with admiral and my premium would increase!

Associate
I went to a meeting once. I was the youngest there, the next youngest being at a conservative estimate, about 75.

It was a waste of time. I know that the ROSPA courses are well thought of within the biking community. It might be worth looking into their driving courses?

I passed my Rospa advanced driving test earlier this year (Gold standard ;)).. can thoroughly recommend it, learnt quite a bit.

Soldato
OP
I passed my Rospa advanced driving test earlier this year (Gold standard ;)).. can thoroughly recommend it, learnt quite a bit.

Really want to do it. No idea where though? I'm in Ayrshire/Glasgow. Anyone?

I received a reply from the Ayr group. I'm not sure what they are, he doesn't make it clear at all. Is he a ROSPA group that trains you and puts you through a test? There really isn't much info out there at all.

He "promotes" it? What does that mean? I want to learn it!

Ayrshire Advanced Drivers meet every Monday evening, March to October, at
19:00 hours, in the John Niven Building, SAC Auchincruive, Ayr KA6 5HW,
(from Whitletts Roundabout at Ayr, proceed along the B743 heading towards
Mauchline and after 0.5 miles turn right into SAC Auchincruive. The John
Niven Building is on the right opposite the first left turn). Costs are
minimal. We presently charge £10 joining fee and £10 annual subscription and
for that you can have a season's free tuition.

Ayrshire Advanced Drivers promote both the IAM and RoADAR and our aim is to
encourage better and safer driving on our roads. The members provide
informal, driver-friendly sessions based on 'Roadcraft', the police drivers
handbook. Coaching is on a one-to-one basis and is geared to each
individual's own rate of progress. If you attend our Club and achieve a
sufficiently high driving standard, you can obtain a Gold RoADAR award.

We would be delighted to see you, have a chat and discuss your route to
achieving a National Advanced Driving Certificate.
If you wish to discuss anything further, do not hesitate to give me a call.

Regards,

Bill Devlin
Chairman
Ayrshire Advanced Drivers

Associate
Impressive! I remember speaking with my bike instructor about the standard required to reach Gold and it's far from easy. Did it take you more than one attempt?

Luckily first attempt. I was fortunate that I had a first rate instructor and on the day it all seemed to go well. Only a few slight errors (wrong line on cornering etc) can apparently see you relegated to Silver ..although a pass is a pass no matter what you are marked at but like I said I was just lucky on the day that it just all seemed to slot into place.

Associate
Really want to do it. No idea where though? I'm in Ayrshire/Glasgow. Anyone?

I received a reply from the Ayr group. I'm not sure what they are, he doesn't make it clear at all. Is he a ROSPA group that trains you and puts you through a test? There really isn't much info out there at all.

He "promotes" it? What does that mean? I want to learn it!

Ayrshire Advanced Drivers meet every Monday evening, March to October, at
19:00 hours, in the John Niven Building, SAC Auchincruive, Ayr KA6 5HW,
(from Whitletts Roundabout at Ayr, proceed along the B743 heading towards
Mauchline and after 0.5 miles turn right into SAC Auchincruive. The John
Niven Building is on the right opposite the first left turn). Costs are
minimal. We presently charge £10 joining fee and £10 annual subscription and
for that you can have a season's free tuition.

Ayrshire Advanced Drivers promote both the IAM and RoADAR and our aim is to
encourage better and safer driving on our roads. The members provide
informal, driver-friendly sessions based on 'Roadcraft', the police drivers
handbook. Coaching is on a one-to-one basis and is geared to each
individual's own rate of progress. If you attend our Club and achieve a
sufficiently high driving standard, you can obtain a Gold RoADAR award.

We would be delighted to see you, have a chat and discuss your route to
achieving a National Advanced Driving Certificate.
If you wish to discuss anything further, do not hesitate to give me a call.

Regards,

Bill Devlin
Chairman
Ayrshire Advanced Drivers

Why don't you pop along to one of the meetings and get a feel for the group and the people. This will also give you the chance to ask any questions.

Main website is informative too.

http://www.roadar.org/index.htm

Back
Top Bottom