1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone been on the ketogenic diet long term?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dogoid, Oct 19, 2019.

1. img

Hitman

nope you ate a pizza substitute but I am glad it worked for you. I tried that and I hate cauliflower substitute that every seems to want to use for rice is now one of my top worse things.

2. ic1male

Caporegime

I was doing the two week plan from Diet Doctor.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/get-started

I'd never entertain eating belly pork before (eww all that lard!) but it was delicious!

3. MikeTheNative

Sgarrista

I really like cauliflower rice but that's because I like cauliflower, I don't think it's a good substitute for rice.

4. ic1male

Caporegime

I've been thinking about this a lot the past twenty four hours. I'm almost ready to give up. Not to go back to my old habits of ready meals and chocolate, crisps, cakes, sweets but to just do my own healthy eating. Still not going to do rice, bread, potatoes or pasta but I'm not going to sit there working out calories, macros or keeping carbs under 20g. It's just too much of a pain in the arse. I'll up it to the 50g carb mark and see what happens. That means I can still enjoy my morning banana/avocado/peanut butter smoothie after exercise instead of eating eggs day after day, a nice salad or soup at dinner time and then a meat/fish and two veg combo for tea without eating a boat load of fats. That's got to be all right surely.

5. krooton

Caporegime

Premade low/no-carb pizza bases either suck or are massively over-priced.

Fathead dough is amazing, but calorific to the extreme, haha.

6. dowie

Caporegime

Why avoid rice, potatoes and pasta though if you're not doing keto anymore and are just going to eat healthily?

The ketosis thing doesn't apply anymore and carbs aren't a bad thing - there seems to be a trend, as a result of these diets, in thinking that carbohydrates are bad for some reason.

You could take a look at say Mediterranean style diets though they eat pasta.

7. montymint

Mobster

I've done keto with my other half since July (although the past 2 weeks we've fallen off the wagon due but are back on again). I'm down 2 stone and she is down almost 3.

The first few days are hard - but long term I've found a nice groove of things to eat to keep me full. Every Sat becomes a OMAD day and I indulge a fathead pizza

8. ic1male

Caporegime

Well pasta, rice and potatoes can easily be substituted for some more vegetables. I'd prefer to keep more veg in the diet than starch.

9. dirtychinchilla

Sgarrista

I found the keto food disgusting. I tried for about a week and my house REEKED of fat. I guess I was being very strict and trying to stay under 20g of carbs, and some very high fat level, but the cooked grossed me out too much. I'm also lactose intolerant so no cheese - eating cheese would make it a whole lot easier I think.

10. .Lethal

Soldato

Not tried it but have followed IIFYM

11. Tuppy_Glossop

Mobster

If there isn't much research I wonder what the doctor's position is based on.

12. MadMossy

Soldato

When I did keto nearly a decade ago my doctor/gp didn't have a clue about it, all they could say was my blood results were significantly better than before.

13. PermaChanged

Mobster

Keto has been around for a lot longer than people think, it just went under the famous guise of the "Atkins Diet" - although carbs were slightly elevated under the Atkins protocol, minimal amounts to begin with which ensured ketosis, then slowly ramped up when coming closer to goal weight.

14. dowie

Caporegime

Ironically Atkins himself got a bit fat in old age and died of a heart attack.

15. Malevolence

Capodecina

16. Psymonkee

Capodecina

OK? Was there some point to that nonsense?

17. ic1male

Caporegime

I think I've botched it up this week. I seem to have become addicted to coffee with double cream in it. Be interesting to see what happens on Monday's weigh in. I expect to have put on a kilo. :mad:

18. Psymonkee

Capodecina

Hey as long as it's not cream with coffee in it you'll be alright I'm sure! :D

19. ic1male

Caporegime

LOL. I have been doing some dumbbell exercises. Maybe my biceps are a bit bigger. That could explain it! ;)

20. dowie

Caporegime

Do you weigh yourself at the same time/same amount of water consumed etc.. ? I don't think a + or - a kilo is too relevant or worth worrying about... your body weight varies during the day anyway.

Just ease off the double cream next week and don't worry about it... also you don't need to wait till Monday to weigh yourself - might as well do it say every morning and get a bunch of readings.