Anyone bought refurb iMac from Apple store?

Soldato
their just last years models so the question is do you need the extra performance to go sandybridge and is it worth £200-£300 to get a new one.

refurbs are fine, they will just be old returns, or shop products that have gone through the factory again to be cleaned up...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
For the sake of a few hundred I was thinking that TBH, was checking around the stores and it wasnt THAT much of a difference I guess.

Is their a big real world difference...it would be for Duel boot (VM) and CS5

Caporegime
their just last years models so the question is do you need the extra performance to go sandybridge and is it worth £200-£300 to get a new one.

refurbs are fine, they will just be old returns, or shop products that have gone through the factory again to be cleaned up...

They aren't even that.

Look at this 2011 Spec 27" iMac

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FC814B/A

£250 off retail price. All because somebody bought it, and returned it because they couldn't get on with macs. Either that, or maybe it was delivered with a screen scratch or something ? Apple repair whatever caused it to get sent back, then sell it as a refurb. And at least with a refurb, you know its been hand inspected properly and will be defect free. Not something that can be said for off the shelf stock.

I own a 27" iMac and a macbook. Both refurb units. Come highly recommended. They are literally perfect upon arrival. You wouldn't know they were refurb. Only difference is the plain white box instead of the normal one.

Associate
I've bought a couple of refurb machines and they were both indistinguishable from new products. The original packaging was complete, they all had the plastic film still stuck to the machine and were flawless in every way. It's a very good way of getting an Apple, and it comes with all the usual warranties, too.

Soldato
Pick up Apple Care just to be safe since they aren't cheap to repair I believe. Although you get a 1 year warranty out of the box so maybe buy the additional warranty later on.

Associate
Refurbs are the way to go. Normally indistinguishable from new [apart from the plain box]. As already suggested AppleCare within the first year is always an option.

Soldato
OP
Can you get the finance option on the refurb stuff?
Do they still come with the iLife stuff?

Sorry just read it does come with that,

No sure about Lion etc?

Last edited:
Soldato
Can you get the finance option on the refurb stuff?
Do they still come with the iLife stuff?

Sorry just read it does come with that,

No sure about Lion etc?

I believe you can't get finance on refurbished Apple products.

(Not Fact but again I believe yes they come with iLife not sure about Lion)

Soldato
They aren't even that.

Look at this 2011 Spec 27" iMac

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FC814B/A

£250 off retail price. All because somebody bought it, and returned it because they couldn't get on with macs. Either that, or maybe it was delivered with a screen scratch or something ? Apple repair whatever caused it to get sent back, then sell it as a refurb. And at least with a refurb, you know its been hand inspected properly and will be defect free. Not something that can be said for off the shelf stock.

I own a 27" iMac and a macbook. Both refurb units. Come highly recommended. They are literally perfect upon arrival. You wouldn't know they were refurb. Only difference is the plain white box instead of the normal one.

thats what i said .... you just said it with 20x more words. :p

Associate
I'm thinking about buying a refurbished iPad, anyone bought any of them before?my main worry is a screen that could have some sort of scratches and tears, does that happen?

Associate
After advise on here got my iMac as a refurb from the store, and love it to bits. Even had the bonus of bigger hard drive & more memory than advertised :D Only difference I remember was it came in a standard brown box, rather than the standard shiny Apple one.

Back
Top Bottom