Anyone else ever manage to lockup Linux like a Windows crash?

Soldato
Well that was weird as i just done it in Ubuntu.

I mounted a drive in Nautilus and i had a hard Gnome crash and lockup that nothing would work , i had to hard power off?

Soldato
Yes, it happens. Linux isn't immune to crashing. Usually you can just switch runlevel and close the broken desktop session down though.

Last edited:
Associate
Had the same thing at the weekend trying to get PlayOnLinux to work. I had a video playing in VLC at the time and while everything else locked up, the audio from vlc carried on. It happens.

Soldato
Did it yesterday, there seems to be an odd bug with WoW on Lutris and when you use alt-tab to go back to the desktop it can crash the whole session. Happens maybe one out of ten times.

I just ctrl-alt-F3 to a terminal, ps to find the pid and then kill pid to get rid. If it's refusing to budge i'll kill -1 the session, i've found that works with more stubborn problems.

Associate
It happened to me the other day. I was watching something on youtube and the whole computer froze, I had to hard power it off and back on again. Its normally my wifi that keeps crashing under Linux. In Windows its fine.

Soldato
Only thing that seems to cause Linux to hard lock is either a kernel panic (not that common) or graphics driver lockup.

Most "freezes" are specific programs which can be restarted without a reboot from the console most of the time.

Soldato
Seen a reasonable number of crashes over the years. Normally either due to kernel panics (normally due to underlying hardware problems) or misbehaving software which causes the system to run out of memory to quickly for OOM to do it's stuff

Back
Top Bottom