1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else ever manage to lockup Linux like a Windows crash?

Discussion in 'Linux & Open Source' started by Ice Tea, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Ice Tea

Mobster

Well that was weird as i just done it in Ubuntu.

I mounted a drive in Nautilus and i had a hard Gnome crash and lockup that nothing would work , i had to hard power off?

2. yashiro

Mobster

Yes, it happens. Linux isn't immune to crashing. Usually you can just switch runlevel and close the broken desktop session down though.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  3. Ice Tea

Mobster

Nothing would work not even the keyboard or mouse , Didn't systemd replace runlevel?

4. Buffalo2102

Hitman

Had the same thing at the weekend trying to get PlayOnLinux to work. I had a video playing in VLC at the time and while everything else locked up, the audio from vlc carried on. It happens.

5. AHarvey

Sgarrista

yep, had it on several distros including the raspi

6. Tute

Capodecina

Did it yesterday, there seems to be an odd bug with WoW on Lutris and when you use alt-tab to go back to the desktop it can crash the whole session. Happens maybe one out of ten times.

I just ctrl-alt-F3 to a terminal, ps to find the pid and then kill pid to get rid. If it's refusing to budge i'll kill -1 the session, i've found that works with more stubborn problems.