anyone else got a Panasonic DX902b ?

Associate
OP
I’ve got one. If you have a look at the thread on avforums there’s a great FAQ. I use the settings in that.
Al
Hi Al

yeah ive seen that thanks , really cant be bothered to switch between 3 different settings tho (daytime , nighttime and 4k) Al how do you know if you are receiving a 4k signal ? HDR ramps up the contrast and backlight to 100 (retina burning ) , but because of the up scaling how can you be sure you are getting UHD ? cheers

Soldato
I have one.

I get HDR 4k from Netflix via the TV app and I use settings similar to those on the AVForum FAQ. I also get 4k from Sky Q. That isnt UHD though.

Regarding switching between settings, it takes about 5 seconds to press menu > picture > arrow > ok.

Associate
Hi Al

yeah ive seen that thanks , really cant be bothered to switch between 3 different settings tho (daytime , nighttime and 4k) Al how do you know if you are receiving a 4k signal ? HDR ramps up the contrast and backlight to 100 (retina burning ) , but because of the up scaling how can you be sure you are getting UHD ? cheers

Pressing the I button shows the current resolution. 4K doesn’t need any different settings for me. I let the tv decide about hdr and think it looks great.
It depends a lot on your viewing. I’m in a bright room, so often need a little more ooomph.
P.s sorry for delayed response..
Al

Associate
OP
I have one.

I get HDR 4k from Netflix via the TV app and I use settings similar to those on the AVForum FAQ. I also get 4k from Sky Q. That isnt UHD though.

Regarding switching between settings, it takes about 5 seconds to press menu > picture > arrow > ok.
Hi Hedge

weird how my TV app has stopped switching HDR on , but the xbox s netflix app will do it ?

Associate
OP
Pressing the I button shows the current resolution. 4K doesn’t need any different settings for me. I let the tv decide about hdr and think it looks great.
It depends a lot on your viewing. I’m in a bright room, so often need a little more ooomph.
P.s sorry for delayed response..
Al

thanks for the reply Al . hitting the I button shows the full resolution but the image is being up scaled ?

Associate
OP
The skybox will be doing the upscaling. Netflix shoud report accurately if you're using the built in app. I use a roku + for netflix and iplayer, as it does hdr for iplayer.

so if your watching sky and hit the I button your set says 1080i ? cheers

Soldato
Netflix has a 1080p hdr/rec2020 stream too, if the broadband is not fast enough for 4k hdr
and wasn't star trek enterprise only available in the former

Associate
OP
right had a look , HDR is ramping up the back light and contrast to 100 ,thanks for your input . i was thinking ultra HD would do the same to the contrast and back light but obviously not .

Soldato
ulra-hd alone is the sdr(standard definition range) .. rec709 colour space, sub 1000nits, so unless you have calibrated for daylight viewing the back light should not be called-on, at the same level.

I have an older 4k Panasonic ... but had wondered if they were now keeping their apps up to date,
or whether folks would report that an external 4k box eg.roku gives a 'different' picture.

Back
Top Bottom