Anyone else using Siri and the voice recognition much more than ever?

Commissario
I'm finding Siri is so much more useful these days, I'm using Siri and voice recognition a far lot more than I ever did.

I'm sure that when setting reminders in the past, they never worked very well but today I spoke to my watch and said "Remind me at half past eight tonight to search for NATO straps". At 20:30, up popped a reminder, reminding me to search for NATO straps (it even got the capitalisation correct on NATO!).

I'm using Siri to search for and play music "Play the latest David Gilmour album" - This played the new Live at Pompeii album. "Play the most popular Jimi Hendrix song" played All Along the Watchtower.

Stuff like "what time is sunset?" works. I've been replying to texts through my watch with voice recognition even when in the car with music playing. Siri has come on so much since it was first introduced it very rarely makes mistakes. It's not like it used to be... "Siri, is it going to rain tomorrow?" *pause* "Calling mum" - This sort of thing never happens any more.

Anyone else finding themselves talking to their phone/watch more often?

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

No... I'd love to, but every time I attempt something, it's nearly always a miserable failure. I find each failed attempt incredibly frustrating, which puts me off trying again in future.

Soldato
I've found i've used it more with my watch, the lack of integration with Spotify hurts it for my phone use though.

It's also annoying when composing a message and it gets it wrong, i end up waffling trying to correct it.

Me - Also I sent this using my watch smiley face
Siri - Also I sent this using my watch :)
Me - Oooh if i say smiley face it puts in a little picture of said face
Siri - Oooh if I say :) it puts in a little picture of sad face
Me - Said face not sad face
Siri - sad face not sad face
Me - Dammit said
Siri - Direct said
Me - Dammit not direct
Siri - Dammit not direct
Me - Also i love you
Siri - or so i love you
Me - or so not also
Siri - all so not all also

At this point i clicked send and then rang the wife to explain why she was about to receive an email of jibberish!

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

That’s a really good summary of how most of my Siri interactions go. :)

Soldato
Always use Siri to control the lights in my house... something nice about lying down in bed and saying "Hey Siri, night night" and all the lights fade out. But even when I'm doing stuff in the kitchen its nice to just increase brightness or change scenes etc...

When out of the house I use it for reminders without a problem which is very helpful.

All in all I think Siri has come a long way (having said that there is still a way to go but that will only come with better integration of apps etc...)

Associate
I've never used it before, but started just playing with it recently, together with iphone X and was positively surprised. Even though English is not my native language it almost always gets it right. I use it mostly for controlling hue lights and scenes.

Caporegime
There're probably two things I ask her for. "What time is it?" when I wake up. And then "What time is it in <blah blah>?" when I need to know when the snooker starts in China or something. Nothing else whatsoever.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I've always been a big user of the voice commands and find that it's still just a much of muchness. It definitely got better around the time they released the update in iOS 5 but it hasn't taken big steps forward for a long time.

For instance, I use it daily to set timers whilst cooking, occasionally to set a reminder, call people in the car / on the motorbike and to play podcasts. I'm not subscribed to Apple Music (I've got Amazon music and an Echo for that) so can't compare there but just yesterday I confused it. I tried 3 times with the exact same response, until in the end I gave up!

Me: Siri, call Amy on mobile
Siri: Which Amy? Amy, Amy Smith or Amy Reed
Me: Amy
Siri: Hello!
Me: :confused:

I also hate how you need to unlock the phone for a lot of the functionality. I understand that it can be a security concern but if I'm driving I don't want to type a passcode or use TouchID to unlock my phone just because I've asked Siri to "take me home".

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Never had the issue before, this is what I’m saying... once in a while Siri just infuriates me with its nonsense. Has it got better? Not in my experience.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Google Assistant is amazing. My brother used to have an Android phone and he used it to add up a bunch of Uno scores (like 30) and just read them out like "5 plus 17 plus 22 plus..." and it worked flawlessly every single time. Such an impressive little demo. We tried it with Siri and she just got hopelessly lost.

Associate
Until it works accurately 100% of the time I won’t use it. A failure is frustrating and a waste of time, you would have been quicker writing it yourself.

Soldato
I use it a lot for timers. I run my life by timers so works well.

Sometimes I ask Siri the weather but it's mostly a miserable failure.

Hey Siri do I need an umbrella.
-There's no rain forecast for today
*starts raining*
Hey Siri you said it wasn't going to rain.
-I don't think it's going to rain today
Hey Siri it's raining now!
-No, I don't think it's raining"
You ******* liar!

Back
Top Bottom