Anyone else waiting for Ryzen 5000 series laptops?

Soldato
I'm just wondering how many people are waiting for Ryzen 5000 series laptops to come out this month or the next? It seems a bit silly to buy a laptop right now with a new processor coming out so soon and with it being Zen 3 when the Ryzen 4000 series is only Zen 2.

Soldato
Took me forever to find stock of 4800 with a 2060. I suspect they maybe be short supply of these new ones as well. Even then I couldn't only get it with the ram, hd and battery I wanted. But I can upgrade those later. The majority of laptops I could find in stock were Intel or AMD with 1650. B

But I eventually found one in Jan, so bought it. I need a second one. So I'll wait for the new ones to buy that. I suspect it will well into the summer though to get exactly what I'm looking for. They will probably be a lot more expensive though a 30xx in them.

One thing to look out for is the power rating of the GPU.

https://youtu.be/qhQzCayvfZ8
https://youtu.be/TQdRipT1L28

Soldato
OP
Took me forever to find stock of 4800 with a 2060. I suspect they maybe be short supply of these new ones as well. Even then I couldn't only get it with the ram, hd and battery I wanted. But I can upgrade those later. The majority of laptops I could find in stock were Intel or AMD with 1650. B

But I eventually found one in Jan, so bought it. I need a second one. So I'll wait for the new ones to buy that. I suspect it will well into the summer though to get exactly what I'm looking for. They will probably be a lot more expensive though a 30xx in them.

One thing to look out for is the power rating of the GPU.

https://youtu.be/qhQzCayvfZ8
https://youtu.be/TQdRipT1L28

I'm just getting a business laptop so as long as it can power a 4k external monitor I don't really care about GPU speed. What I really care about is battery life, CPU speed, and RAM amount.

Caporegime
I managed to snag a 4800U based Lenovo for silly money. It's an absolute beast so that's me done for a few years now.

The 5xxx mobile CPUs are even faster, AMD is smashing it in the mobile space.

Associate
I'm looking at the Asus A15 TUF or Asus ROG STRIX G15with 5800H & RTX 3070 - I'm waiting for confirmed TDP for the GPU though, as that seems to be the determining factor for graphics performance... if they're rubbish, I'm gonna look at the 3060 range as £1600-1700 is already stretching my limits.

Soldato
I thought the 2060 was a bit better bang for buck. But if you want the absolute best performance then 3xxx is where you need to be.

Soldato
Not really. I'm no longer up to date on the latest tech. My aim was replacing some old desktops that have 1050ti. I need to have some easier way of moving the kids/teens and myself to different rooms, desk around the house. People were monopolizing one machine, and thus that desk. We all basically hot desk between desks and rooms. Couldn't get stock of parts to build cheap budget machines, so Laptops seem to be the answer. We had a few older laptops that I'm sending to recycle.

For myself I wanted something with a a good keyboard, mouse and screen. So nothing under 300nits, no non standard keyboards. Also lots of USB 3.x ports.
The Lenovo Legion seems to fit the bill. The Legion 5 run cooler (according to some) than the Legion 7. AMD better bang for buck. So I went with the Legion 5P. So far its been great. Though the one I got has the smaller battery. The screen is fine. But if I buy another I'll get one with the brighter screen. Our house has some bright rooms, and 300nits isn't really enough. I like look of the Legion 5 Pro but also the Legion 7 slim. But if another Legion 5P pops up with the right deal I might just get that. I like the ports on the back of the machine, (Dell puts too many on the right side). I also prefer the square power connector, the kids have broken a few power ports on other laptops. I may go for a 17" next time. The 15" is fine though. Some of the new models this year will be 16:10 which I prefer for non gaming stuff.

I'm not in the UK so my options are limited with stock I could get.

Soldato
At this point I would wait if you can till mid year. I think the latest generation of laptops are the best we've seen in years. Better keyboards, screens, lots of ports, fast, good battery.

Back
Top Bottom