Anyone ever had a Connective tissue graft?

Soldato
Just curious whether anyone on the forums has ever had one of these as doesn't seem to be too much info online for UK based patients.

My Periodontist told me some over the counter ibuprofen would make it all good. However, online people in the US are saying that you need some hardcore stuff to keep the pain at bay.

Soldato
I had an AC joint injury where they used a bit of connective tissue as the graft for one of the ligaments. Three very small incisions. It ached like a total barstweard. They put a chiller collar on my arm for the first 8 hours post op and even with co-codamol it ached. I think I had co-codamol for a few days then just ibuprofen. It ached for a good old while. Personally I wouldn't liked to have done the first few days on ibuprofen wouldn't have been much fun. I am not a doctor.

Ever since then I have laughed at the idea of people shrugging off bullet wounds in movies. I was playing rugby and totally hyped when I got the injury and the pain was immense I tuffed it out on the wing till the end of the half but no way was I taking down terrorists.

edit: not sure if what I said falls in or outside of rules, will understand either way.

Commissario
Just curious whether anyone on the forums has ever had one of these as doesn't seem to be too much info online for UK based patients.

My Periodontist told me some over the counter ibuprofen would make it all good. However, online people in the US are saying that you need some hardcore stuff to keep the pain at bay.
As has been said no medical advice.

However remember with American medicine it's usually the "hard stuff" because they're allowed to advertise it on TV and pushed it for years over the softer stuff, or people have needed it more because they've been unable to afford operations, all of which is a big part of the reason they have such a bad drug problem, as so many Americans got started on prescription painkillers that may not have been necessary (OTC/milder ones might have done) but were advertised/pushed hard as having no side effects, and then when they couldn't get them from the GP any more moved on to the illegal ones.
Effectively a lot of the time in the US they seemed to start straight off with strong stuff because patients asked for it by name (and the doctors got bonuses).

If you've got a query about your pain meds it's best to talk to your GP, they'll hopefully be able to advise/offer additional options such as "If you do need something stronger, give us a ring and we'll do a small prescription".

Soldato
OP
As has been said no medical advice.

However remember with American medicine it's usually the "hard stuff" because they're allowed to advertise it on TV and pushed it for years over the softer stuff, or people have needed it more because they've been unable to afford operations, all of which is a big part of the reason they have such a bad drug problem, as so many Americans got started on prescription painkillers that may not have been necessary (OTC/milder ones might have done) but were advertised/pushed hard as having no side effects, and then when they couldn't get them from the GP any more moved on to the illegal ones.
Effectively a lot of the time in the US they seemed to start straight off with strong stuff because patients asked for it by name (and the doctors got bonuses).

If you've got a query about your pain meds it's best to talk to your GP, they'll hopefully be able to advise/offer additional options such as "If you do need something stronger, give us a ring and we'll do a small prescription".

I should add it's dental surgery, but my doctor is giving me some stuff to calm me down before the surgery. I've left a message with the dental periodontist today asking can I have some harder stuff.

Soldato
However, online people in the US are saying that you need some hardcore stuff to keep the pain at bay.

Dentists over here massively over-prescribe painkillers so I wouldn't necessarily read too much into that. I had two dental implants recently and my Periodontist gave me a prescription for Oxycodone (!) - I definitely didn't need it and didn't use it, over the counter painkillers were absolutely fine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom