Anyone ever used AirBnb in UK?

Associate
I am curious about how Airbnb works.

When I find a flat and I pay for it with a card or paypal do I simply turn up at the place and if so what happens there? Is there someone waiting for me to whom I have to give my ID? or AirBnb takes care of that bit?

Soldato
Wife and I used it for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Got a room in Nottingham, about a week before we got an e-mail from the owner, saying the room would be available from 3pm onwards, the key would be in a key safe next to the door and the code for it. We turned up, got the key out the safe and in the room. Simple as that.

Others may have other ways, but they will basically just let you know.

Caporegime
Stayed at one Friday night last week.

Requested the stay, they messaged and confirmed the stay and took payment.
They sent details of apartment and what the code was for the entrance and the code for the key lock.

Stayed, left and put key back in the key lock :p

Forgot to say, we booked it on the day literally hours before

Nottingham, about a week before we got an e-mail from the owner, saying the room would be available from 3pm onwards, the key would be in a key safe next to the door and the code for it. We turned up, got the key out the safe and in the room. Simple as that.

Similar to your post but in the Bastille area of Paris, France. It was in an apartment block and we were emailed a code for one of the lockers in the locker / mail room. Inside there was the key to get into the flat. The email of course also said which locker it was.

Commissario
I had an enjoyable couple of nights in an AirBnB in Swansea. Effectively I house shared with the owner. She was perfectly polite and cooked me breakfast. I didn’t have to show any ID.

Associate
OP
With all the hacks and stuff I don't fee comfortable having my ID being scanned away when the person whose doing that is probably not very "data protection act" minded. I am shocked that you walked into someone else property having to pass "no ID checks". I would never allow someone to use my place like that. I was considering put my place up on airbnb but having second thoughts. I thought airbnb verifies the customer?

Soldato
I've used it a couple of times. Same as the others, get told the code for the key safe etc. I'm sure when I first set it up you had to have a profile pic otherwise you couldn't book anywhere.

Does it not have an FAQ section for those wanting to put up a property? Or you could contact them to ask what checks, if any, are done.

As for not feeling comfortable about someone having your ID, are you referring to guests seeing some of your details or the actual info that Air bnb will hold? If the latter, than they would be following the GDPR policy so your ID would/should be safe.

Associate
For Airbnb, when you book, you'll get information on the process.

So on the platform, you've the choice of different accomodation, such as a private room in someone's house to a full house.

I've stayed in lots of places - I always tend to go for whole flat/apartments. For those, someone will meet you at a preagreed time (usually at the apartment) or as others have detailed, some places do a self check-in using a code.

For shared rooms, it is typically more like a B&B setup, so you'll likely check-in with the owners as a normal B&B.

As for ID, it's all dealt by the platform. I think I provided either my driving licence or passport.

Caporegime
With all the hacks and stuff I don't fee comfortable having my ID being scanned away when the person whose doing that is probably not very "data protection act" minded. I am shocked that you walked into someone else property having to pass "no ID checks". I would never allow someone to use my place like that. I was considering put my place up on airbnb but having second thoughts. I thought airbnb verifies the customer?

You can't just stay at an Air BnB willy nilly, the owner approves the stay, if you don't like their stay history or feedback, deny them. If you want to have an extra check for the air BnB (such as you being there to hand the key over) that's your choice (assumingly)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom