anyone familiar with watercooling a gamemax expedition m-atx case?

Soldato
if anyone knows the case then there are only 3 points for fans which is the rear and the top which are filled, however looking up the case spec for other reasons i come to notice for water cooling theres a front option despite no grill or what looks like screw positions and im wonder if this is for a radiator on its own or fan based ones if you can even get away with no fan?

i want to replace my stock cooler, i maybe getting an upgraded cpu for christmas, so i wont do anything till then and have already seen a 120mm AIO cooler i could replace the rear fan with, however if i can stick a 120 or 240mm AIO which are the options for the front then id rather do that and keep my rear fan as all 3 fans are exhausts due to their positions.

Soldato
Google suggests the radiator support isn't all that. I'd measure the front space for a radiator bearing in mind the tank and fittings take up space too. Where does airflow come from? Front looks solid...

If you want to use radiators without fans you'll need many many radiators or very low energy components.

Soldato
I had a game max case, couldnt wait to get rid of it, only had it about 2 weeks, they advertised it as having top and front 240mm radiator supports, I put a rad and fans at the top and soon discovered, because the mounting holes are not offset to one side of the case like others do, it was fowling on the 8 pin EPS cable and the top heatsink of the motherboard, I had to bodge it to get it in there for the couple of weeks I used it for, front is your only choice in that case as looking at it on Google, you have the same issue as the case I had, only the front looks very air restricted.

Soldato
OP
thanks for replies.

yeah other than cut outs for the pattern they have put on the one side the front is all solid, so in my setup i have made the 2 case fans ive installed in the top as exhausts like the rear, so no pull of air in, im not having any heating issues, despite the lack of front fan support, i like it better than the CiT F3 i replaced it with, but i am looking at other cases still as i get fussy lol, but im not looking to keep wasting money on cases till im 100% happy.

installing the fans in the top wasnt a problem, but like the CiT F3 case and i suppose many other cases, having top and rear does make it a pain to plug in the cpu power, didnt have much trouble routing the fan cables round the fan housings, this case isnt the best for management really.

as for the water cooling, i have no experience of such, so i would only be looking at AIO stuff, i was just confused by the description of the case whether they were implying mount points for fan based Rads or just rads on their own, cant say i notice accurate points in the case as i was going it try retro fit fans to see how much intake they could make, i have no problem to just use a 120mm AIO to replace the rear with, i just wanted to see what my actual options are before i spend money.

Back
Top Bottom