Anyone gaming on Dell U2715H or U2515H

Soldato
Subbed. I'm also looking at the U2515H.
Had a quick look at TFTCentral and it doesn't look like it'd be that bad for gaming.
I don't think I could use it for high-fps shooters like BF4 or CSGO etc though - I'd keep those on my BenQ 120Hz.

Last edited:
Associate
I had the U2515H for 2 weeks. It was great for gta v, but didn't really get on well with it for BF4. I don't know if it was the jump from 1080p on a 1ms tn panel to 1440p IPS but it just didn't feel right to me personally.
I ended up returning it, mine also had a slight yellow tinge on one side of the screen, only really visible on a white background whilst browsing, but coupled with my personal gaming preference it was enough to send it back.
Its a stunning monitor otherwise though, colours were fantastic, and depending on the games you play it's worth the punt.

Soldato
Sorely tempted by the 2515, just not sure that the pixel pitch is actually too small.. I don't want to need a magnifying glass.

Soldato
They are both really good screens and input lag is minimal. (Disclaimer: This is after reading a million and one reviews of these Dell monitors - primarily the U2715h, no actually experience.)

Associate
I have the U2715 and for gaming it's always seemed fine for me.

I'm not particularly sensitive to response issues or anything like that though. Nor do I play any fast paced multiplayer games.

But for the most part it seems ok to me.

Soldato
I use a U2515H for games and compared to other IPS monitors I've played on, it's as good as any of them (the only exception being the Acer 144hz IPS).

Colours are brilliant, very deep and inky as you'd expect from an IPS. The monitor comes factory calibrated which should be more than sufficient for the majority of people. The only setting I changed was to reduce the brightness to 25%. The contrast and black levels are very good, with the only negative being the IPS glow seen when viewing the monitor in the dark, but that's pretty much the norm for IPS panels these days and is nothing unusual. Once brightness is 25% it's not very noticeable anyway, except when viewed from extreme angles. I frequently play games with dark scenes at night with the lights off, and black detail is still very good.

The pixel pitch is great for gaming and helps with making jaggies less apparent. For example, 2xAA looks just as good as 4xAA on my previous 1080p monitor. In desktop, things do look a bit small, but they're still perfectly legible. You can increase the scaling in windows to compensate, but I don't bother and just gotten used to it. In fact, when I use other monitors now, everything looks too big on them. I still think 27" is the sweet spot for 1440p, but I don't think an extra £120 (or whatever it is) for the U2715H is worth it, when they are practically the same monitor but with a 2" screen size difference.

I think if you're coming from a fast TN panel, you might find the lower response times a bit weird, but that would be the same for any other IPS panel, except for a 144hz IPS panel, but how many of those are there right now? More importantly, how many have the same quality as Dell? Personally, I find it perfectly acceptable for gaming. Response time and motion blur is very good for a 60hz IPS panel and so is the low input lag.

I play all types of games, with no major issues, including BF4 which someone mentioned earlier. Untill 144hz IPS type panels become more popular, made by manufacturers with better quality control, you're always going to have to compromise in someway. If you value image quality and not massively concerned about having the absolute best response times and refresh rates, the U2515H is a good choice and great value in my opinion.

Soldato
I currently game on the U2515H and would echo many of the comment that titaniumx3 mentions above.

Don't find any issues at all with input lag or refresh rate - I mainly play racing games but also Crysis 3 and Far Cry 4 and for some reason Crysis looks awesome - it must be the excellent contrast ratio.

Pixel pitch is perfect for games and in Windows I have the scaling set to125% which is ideal for me.

I have the brightness set anything between 10% and 40% (depends on the time of day and amount of light coming through) but titaniumx3 is probably right on the money with approx 25% brightness.

IPS is glow is a bitch but that is the case with any monitor but what I think actually HELPS this monitor is it's slightly smaller size. Since you can see more of the monitor "head on" you tend not to notice the IPS glow that much - unless you are sitting off centre. Compare this to using say a 32 inch monitor where there is more screen in your peripheral vision so you are more likely to notice the glow.

Associate
It's mentioned in the TFT Central review, but the U2715H has a gaming mode which apparently increases the response time but it actually makes the image look worse and creates ghosting. So if you do end up with one make sure to leave it on normal.

Associate
I did this at the beginning of the month, ordered x2 dell u2515 plus all the components to build an I7 rig..

The guy on the phone didnt't sound too impressed (apologies :D)

just make sure you have the stock code to make his life easier.

saved myself quite abit of change so its worth doing. I would agree with the guys above, U2515h is excellent to game on, im using my gtx evga780 ftw and it holding quite well on 1440p

Soldato
Debating getting one of these in 27"! I mainly play rpgs /single player games with the occasional shooter here and there, would this monitor be a good fit for me? Upgrade from a 1080 lg 23" which is like 4 years old!

Also, what does 1080p look like on a 1440p monitor? For those demanding games that i want a solid 60fps out of over the higher resolution on my 970

Soldato
Sorry to hijack the thread slightly. I've just picked up a U2515H, and whilst the monitor is fine, unfortunately it does whine. Does anybody else have this issue? Not sure yet if it's annoying enough to swap out, at the same time I'm wondering if anybody else has the same problem - not worth swapping out if they're all affected.

Soldato
Debating getting one of these in 27"! I mainly play rpgs /single player games with the occasional shooter here and there, would this monitor be a good fit for me? Upgrade from a 1080 lg 23" which is like 4 years old!

Also, what does 1080p look like on a 1440p monitor? For those demanding games that i want a solid 60fps out of over the higher resolution on my 970

I imagine you could put it to 1440p resolution and then lower Anti-Aliasing a bit to even out the performance?

Non-native resolutions rarely look very good in my experience.

Associate
I had the U2515H for 2 weeks. It was great for gta v, but didn't really get on well with it for BF4. I don't know if it was the jump from 1080p on a 1ms tn panel to 1440p IPS but it just didn't feel right to me personally.
I ended up returning it, mine also had a slight yellow tinge on one side of the screen, only really visible on a white background whilst browsing, but coupled with my personal gaming preference it was enough to send it back.
Its a stunning monitor otherwise though, colours were fantastic, and depending on the games you play it's worth the punt.

Doh, I was looking to getting a U2515H for a bit of gaming (Cities Skylines, WoW, and also Battlefield 4).... might have to re-think that now.

Does anyone else play BF4 on this monitor?... and do you have any problems with it?

Back
Top Bottom