anyone got a Lexus RX 400h ?

Soldato
Sold my 2020 Highlander as they offered me more than i paid for it, bought a Mazda CX-5 but im not happy with it. Looking at the Lexus RX 400h since they are pretty cheap here and get good gas mileage. I was looking at the GX470 but with gas prices hitting $3.00 a gallon that's a no go.

Anyone got one?

Associate
What year RX you looking at?

I had a 2008 RX400h in the UK it was a great car, nothing went wrong in 3 years, it was a comfy barge to drive and also had a nice kick off the line thanks to the instant power from the electric motor. It did take a while to get used to the CVT

What don't you like about the CX5?

Also why the hybrid the RX350 is a little less economical but the hybrids usually carry a premium so unless you plan to own the car for many years it's pretty even in costs

Associate
Sold my 2020 Highlander as they offered me more than i paid for it, bought a Mazda CX-5 but im not happy with it. Looking at the Lexus RX 400h since they are pretty cheap here and get good gas mileage. I was looking at the GX470 but with gas prices hitting $3.00 a gallon that's a no go.

Anyone got one?

If you are looking post 2016, wouldn’t it be the 450h?

Soldato
I test drove a 2018 450h, as mentioned above, i'd assume this is what you're looking at if you've sold a 2020 Highlander. It was lovely to drive, the V6 was powerful enough in a car that size and then the electric batteries felt nice and refined around town. The car we test drove was a Takumi spec which had the cooled seat which felt really nice and absolutely loads of spec/space in the front.

The let down for me was the infotainment. Being a 2018 it was pre-facelift and the facelifted model was out of our budget. It was very dated and the screen was small and low res. Instead we dropped down to the NX and the infotainment etc is much better, the screen/mapping is much better and it's got Apple Carplay etc.

Like you i was looking at a new CX-5 but just didn't gel with it, the engine/gearbox felt lacking and there seemed to be too much lag between putting your foot down and anything happening. Surprisingly the Lexus CVT box is much more responsive.

Associate
I test drove a 2018 450h, as mentioned above, i'd assume this is what you're looking at if you've sold a 2020 Highlander. It was lovely to drive, the V6 was powerful enough in a car that size and then the electric batteries felt nice and refined around town. The car we test drove was a Takumi spec which had the cooled seat which felt really nice and absolutely loads of spec/space in the front.

The let down for me was the infotainment. Being a 2018 it was pre-facelift and the facelifted model was out of our budget. It was very dated and the screen was small and low res. Instead we dropped down to the NX and the infotainment etc is much better, the screen/mapping is much better and it's got Apple Carplay etc.

Like you i was looking at a new CX-5 but just didn't gel with it, the engine/gearbox felt lacking and there seemed to be too much lag between putting your foot down and anything happening. Surprisingly the Lexus CVT box is much more responsive.

3.5L V6 and CVT are an ok combination. I must admit I have been considering trading in my GS450H for an RX450H although the new NX450H looks interesting.

Soldato
Yeah, i think the new NX450h will be my next car. The RX 450h felt great, but it's probably a bit too big for us. The NX is perfect and the updated interior on the new model will be lovely. My concern will be around cost. The figures being thrown around seem pretty hefty.

Soldato
OP
sorry for the late reply i've been working this last weekend. Don't like the CX-5 because its really bad on long drives, took it upto Pennsylvania which was a 13hr drive and it was torture. Seats were really uncomfortable, rear seats cant recline at all, plus it has no go in it, my wifes Ford Cmax is way better. Probably looking to spend around $16k as I'm buying a house next year, hence the reason i sold my 2020 highlander. We do a lot of long distance drives per year, week before i traded my Highlander the wife put 4000 miles on it going to see her parents in New Hampshire. Over the long run i feel with the mileage we do a hybrid would be worth it.

Soldato
OP

my Cx-5 is a 2013 GT, im looking at a car i can pay off in 3 months vs 1 year.

Associate
One thing to note on fuel economy is hybrids work best for city/urban driving long motorway drives don't give them much chance to recover charge so while the mpg is better its only by 1-3 mpg

Back
Top Bottom