Anyone got a pet rat?

Associate
Just got a pet baby rat of a breeder, he is 6 weeks old and currently on his own (not for long).

He seems really shy and timid, I know all the tricks with getting them to become more friendly but can anyone kind of shed a light on how long/old till they become more aware and friendly after food training and becoming used to your smell? another question is what is the best bedding that is cheaper than back2nature if there is any?

Some general tips be great :)

Thanks guys!

Soldato
Working class midlife crisis?

Must be hitting that midlife crisis pretty early, he started a thread about his gf blocking him on facebook not long ago!

As for working class, he will assure you that he has plenty of money. At least, he would have if insurers fulfill his claim for emotional damage after his Audi got totaled :p

Soldato
My flatmate had two she adopted. They freak me out but they seem ok, one was very timid while the other one would be friendlier towards my flatmate.
I prefer her gerbils though lol

Permabanned
Reminds me to go check the rat traps later... I had a tenant with pet rats and a pet rabbit in the house, the place needed fumigating due to fleas when she left. At least the constant stream of men coming and going at all hours the neighbours complained to me about probably left with more than came through the door with.

I did have a pet albino rat when I was a kid, I took it into Marks and Spencer in Stockport on my shoulder and was very disappointed no one noticed. But that only lasted ten minutes until some old biddy spotted it and hysteria reigned. As a child I found that hilarious, as you do... :)

I think it legally best not to tell the details of the story of the hundreds of rats in the lift sump by the meat department of a major Manchester store where I was a department manager for a while. Shine a torch down and all you saw were hundreds of red spots.... Not to mention the maggots in the waste trays of the slicing machines. It made me very fussy about where I bought food after that.

Now in the sticks my goal is ridding the place of rodents, and it's an ongoing task as having birds means grain around. Great survivors, rats, quite remarkable creatures that can gnaw through a concrete floor raft to get to a food source.

Back
Top Bottom