Anyone got any career change stories to share?

Associate
As title really. I'm 34 and in web development, just starting to think I would be happier doing something else that got me outside every once in a while.

I originally wanted to be an electrician but changed my mind and got in to computers, now thinking that was a mistake. I've looked at apprenticeships but I could not live off what they pay.

Anyone out there made a switch in their 30s? I'd be interested to hear how its gone for you.

Soldato
I went the other way... got out of construction and moved into web development in my late 30's.

Best thing I ever did! :D

Out of interest, how did that come about? Did you make a big sacrifice salary wise to do this? How did you make the transition. I'm in the quarrying industry and thinking of switching industry in the near future (32 at the moment).

Associate
Out of interest, how did that come about? Did you make a big sacrifice salary wise to do this? How did you make the transition. I'm in the quarrying industry and thinking of switching industry in the near future (32 at the moment).

I've always been interested in computers, and have been programming since I was about 8. I'd been looking to get out of construction for a while, so I'd started studying computer courses with the Open University with a view to graduating then moving to development. At the same time, I was writing software for the company to help with things in the office.

When the construction company got shafted by a client and went bust, I decided to make the move to development then, rather than waiting until I'd graduated, and held out for a developer job. It took almost a year, so things were getting shall we say... "very uncomfortable", but a company took a chance on me and that was that.

Soldato
Not me personally as I've always hung around the periphery of the same industry, but I have two good examples of people I personally know.

One guy is 38 and just started his carpentry apprenticeship after 15 years working for a local council as a consent review officer. He's so good at his job that he's already been made site foreman over others far more experienced than him. Which I suppose don't say much about the quality of guys they employ :p

And then there's this girl I know that qualified as a quantity surveyor at age 43 after spending (wasting) her 20s and 30s working in bakeries and coffee shops. She's now close to 50 and just been made commercial manager for a very large consultancy here in NZ.

It can be done my friend. You just need to get stuck in.

Caporegime
You're never too old really unless we're talking retirement age, if you want a change then you need to put as little excuses as possible in front of you, you aren't too old, you'll still get by just fine you'll just more than likely have to curb uneccesary spending for a number of years and as long as the new career isn't outside of your physical or mental capabilities it won't be that difficult if you put the effort in.

I've 2 uncles who did factory work till their 40's then 1 opened a tattoo shop, he isn't that good at it to be honest but makes far more money and is fully booked a few months in advance.

The other went into building extensions and conservatories and he's also minted now. Probably helps they both enjoy what they do and have a knack for it but they took the chance instead of being comfortable.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm 10 years younger and feel there's a serious lack of web development jobs.

And wondering the same thing as you. It's probably more the company than the role itself though for me personally.

Associate
I went from a scientist, having just finished my PhD, to a Signalmen. I now have job security and a much better salary than I would have got staying in academy while working a lot less hours.

Soldato
I'm literally in the middle of a career change.

I've been earning around 40-50k a year in the property industry for the last 8 years but recently got bored to tears with the aggro, lack of respect, lack of appreciation for how damn hard work it was (10 hour days, every week day and worked every Saturday).

I'm 35 and have a two year old son. I was driving home one evening from work and it dawned on me that I wasn't seeing him until Saturday afternoons basically as the hours I worked meant he was either asleep when I left for work or asleep when I got home.

I had a degree in building surveying and thought 'that's it. I'm done.' Handed in my notice the next month having gone through a very tough interviewing process in order to secure a trainee position with a large building surveying firm. MASSIVE pay cut for the first year but once qualified the pay is brilliant.

My work/life balance is unbelievable now and whilst it was a scary thing to do at the time, I don't think I will ever look back.

Should have done it 5 years ago though

Soldato
About nine years I go I left my job in fund administration (an incredibly dull job description that actually makes the job sound more exciting than it is) and started a window cleaning company. I’ve never looked back.

I loathed working in the finance sector. It’s full of intelligent people who are incredibly bored with their jobs, working stupidly long hours for (in most cases) not a lot of money. After the birth of my child, my wife and I realised that one of us would have to pretty much stay at home or get a very flexible job. As she earned more than me at the time and I didn’t like my current job it was down to me to sort something out! So I became a window cleaner. The first couple of years were hard going as my income was initially a third of what I had earned previously but once I’d built the business up, Life became much easier.

While the first couple of years were hard, my backup plan was that if things became really dire I could always go back to work in finance. Thankfully that didn’t happen. Now I work about 30 hours a week bringing in a good income. My job can’t be described as mentally stimulating but then, neither was my last one!

The long and short of it is - go ahead. Change careers. But make sure you’ve got a backup plan in case things don’t work out.

Associate
Not me personally but a friend made the jump a few years ago from it support to electrician. I think he started off with some night courses and went from there, says it’s the best decision he has ever made.

Soldato
A friend used to work as a butcher, decided to become an ebay seller due to having to be at home to look after the kids and now spends his time at auctions buying stuff.Seems to be doing pretty well too.

Associate
Did you go through network rail?

Sorry about the late reply. Yeah, the signaller positions are Network Rail and I found the job on indeed.co.uk

If you do apply for a Network Rail job at some point then read up on their eight non-technical skills and tailor your CV to those eight points. You can also expect the interview to consist of eight questions each relating to an example of when you have used each of those skills.

Associate
A friend used to work as a butcher, decided to become an ebay seller due to having to be at home to look after the kids and now spends his time at auctions buying stuff.Seems to be doing pretty well too.

which auctions does he go to?

Back
Top Bottom