Anyone growing tomatoes?

Soldato
I have a good selection of tom's making good progress on the kitchen windowsill, having started seeds early February. Marmande for stuffing, then Sungold, Cherry Baby, Roma, Sweet Million and one more I forget right now.

A greenhouse makes all the difference in the crop size - below was our greenhouse last summer. Tom's on the left (in a bed) and the right (tubs on the floor), with chillies and peppers on the right worktop.

SIw5LPIl.jpg

Agree lots of support is needed otherwise a heavy crop can snap the plants. I feed twice weekly in the greenhouse and once weekly outside. Water every day, though I have that setup with an automatic timer. Last year we were overwhelmed, so we start making batches of pasta sauce up which is fine frozen.

Aubergines too, nice.

Tomatoes grown under glass here too and using an automatic irrigation too (seep hose). Always get mountains of toms and a very nice crop of chillis last year too. Toms are easy to be honest I've grown cucumbers successfully in the past they need a fair bit more TLC though. The toms are supported via metal corkscrew supports you just let the stem grow up through the middle obviates the need to tie in etc.

I won't start them until April its too cold just now and they grow quite quickly unlike peppers they'll be ready to plant out in a month's time. They're just sown in pots in the greenhouse itself.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Bringing an old thread back from the dead for 2022, but we're trying a range of different tomato seeds this year. Got 3 "Mr Stripey/Tigerella" plants that seem off to a good start. We started them indoors in propagators, then moved into a poly-greenouse. We've also got some "Sub Arctic Plenty" starting off from seeds too, so hoping for something early from them, even if not the most tasty veriety (aparently). Hope to offload a seedling or two to 5UB, mainly because of the name too. Also trying to grow a few dwarf cherry tomato plants (Red Robin and Raspberry Ruffles) for windowsills for us and for my parents.

Soldato
Last year was my first effort growing tomatoes at home. Grew them from seed in little pots on the windowsill, but I think I started a bit late and didn't water them enough to begin with - was just worried about overwatering - so I didn't end up with any fruit appearing until mid-Aug and so harvesting didn't really start until September. By which time ripening was taking a while as it was getting colder.

This year I've started earlier and bought a £6 propagator to keep them warmer and moister from the get go. Planted last night so looking forward to hopefully a more successful effort this year. Anyone else growing? Got any special tips?

Thats a good idea which reminds me mine need to be going in this year usually sow seed in march and by april they're big enough to plant out. This is under glass outdoors is much more risky you don't mention but I assume thats what you're doing they'll need planting later in may when the soil has warmed up a bit as they do not like cold at all. Keep them watered I've got an automated irrigation via seep hose and a timer unit attached to the tap they like feeding once the first truss has set is the general rule if they start getting spindly and running out of omph its lack of feed anything high potash will do. Under glass they'll easily reach 6-7 ft by the end of summer and have tons of them I mean bowlfuls pick from say july onwards through into about october

Ive never had much success with tomatoes, grow plenty of green ones, then they struggle to ripen.

If yours are outdoors they need to be a decent size of plant when they go out do it as early as the weather allows and pick an outdoor variety like Outdoor Girl they ripen much more easily/sooner, they are much more susceptible to the vagaries of teh weather however and wet weather in august will almost certainly guarantee blight, under glass you've got control its not the heat its the climate control

some tomato and cucumber varieties do not get along. it might stunt the growth of your cucumbers. Also are you pollinating the female flowers if in a greenhouse?

Cucumbers used to have a reputation for being difficult but modern all female F1 hybrids have elimated that at least under glass at anyrate I grew them very succussfully alongside tomatoes (only outdoor cucumbers require pollination) they need more warmth than tomatoes I didn't plant mine under glass until May and higher humidity and they absolutely need feeding I had more than I could cope with I mean I was giving them away long supermarket quality cuce's and turning them into soups and whatnot one plant is enough unless you want to be inundated

edit: didn't notice was necro'd thread but maybe will help someone

Last edited:
Soldato
I’m a bit behind with my tomatoes this year. Got a couple of tigerellas which are about 10cm, but the rest are further behind. Tempted to buy a more established cherry tomato plant or two as my seeds haven’t germinated.

Courgettes and cucumbers starting to come out now, in previous years I’ve been very early with those, but again I’m probably a couple of weeks behind where I’d like to be. Glad I didn’t try to plant anything out before the last cold snap that’s for sure!

Doing beans again this year, just need to figure out how to tie them up effectively!

Don
I've got 3 different varieties of Tomato on the go this year (after having a terrible crop last year for whatever reason), as well as 2 different cucumbers and a few different chilis (although only 1 variety seems to have started so far).

Got a load of different sunflowers on the go as well (as the kids love them), and lots of flowers destined for hanging baskets and planters - my window ledges are absolutely brimming at the minute. Just waiting for the weather to improve a bit (i.e. not have any more really windy days), and then I'll get the poly green house put up.

Ive really got to get going this year
I am about 50% of the way through a greenhouse build, and that and the bathroom reno have taken all my time.

Luckily I will finish or nigh on finish the bathroom this weekend, and with easter coming its going to be a mammoth planting and setting up session, really really need a good couple of weather days over easter weekend

Soldato
have grown toms for the last 5 years or so but gave it a break this year since the advice is to rotate them to stop disease in the soil.

i am growing onions, i grew about 220 last year and still have loads left.

also growing coriander and mint in pots

Caporegime
I'm doing Sunflowers, French beans, Petit Pois, Brussel Sprouts and Peppers.

I was growing a plum tomato plant but I killed it since I can't eat acidic food any more :(

I already harvested the French beans once :D it's crazy how fast they grow

Yeh i built the greenhouse myself over the winter, ready for this year…………used 3*2s and 4mm twinwall polycarb

Im in the process of making mine right now 47mm framing, but quite a lot of it, I am using 60mm centres in effect to match my 4mm twinwall

How did you attach the twinwall? I was planning a tiny silicon bead, then I have strip wood to place over the edges.
For roof I am using corrugated PVC

Oh and overall size? 3.6x2.4M here, well slightly under 2.4 as I miscut at some point and already allowed an overhang so its more like 3.6x2.3

Soldato
Gods Country, But trailing in Ron-ski's solar wake
Im in the process of making mine right now 47mm framing, but quite a lot of it, I am using 60mm centres in effect to match my 4mm twinwall

How did you attach the twinwall? I was planning a tiny silicon bead, then I have strip wood to place over the edges.
For roof I am using corrugated PVC

Oh and overall size? 3.6x2.4M here, well slightly under 2.4 as I miscut at some point and already allowed an overhang so its more like 3.6x2.3
Mine is 2.8mtrs x 1.80mtrs and yes 600 centres to match the twin panel……but i used a full custom sheet of twinwall for the roof at 10mm, built my own windows and got them fixed with solar automatic openers ( the best idea ever). I fixed the polycarb just with 30mm screws and screw caps. Painted the whole frame in ducksback black and used black matching screw covers. Oh and the height is 2mtrs sloping to 1.8mtrs. Then i got a full u shape of beds inside, that are 500mm heigh to save on my back when watering and harvesting the contents.

back bed is 700 deep and 1.80wide and then the two side beds come back off that and i left a walkway in the middle of 2.1mtrs x 500mm in between, so the two side beds are then 650 deep.

Last edited:
Mine is 2.8mtrs x 1.80mtrs and yes 600 centres to match the twin panel……but i used a full custom sheet of twinwall for the roof at 10mm, built my own windows and got them fixed with solar automatic openers ( the best idea ever). I fixed the polycarb just with 30mm screws and screw caps. Painted the whole frame in ducksback black and used black matching screw covers. Oh and the height is 2mtrs sloping to 1.8mtrs. Then i got a full u shape of beds inside, that are 500mm heigh to save on my back when watering and harvesting the contents.

back bed is 700 deep and 1.80wide and then the two side beds come back off that and i left a walkway in the middle of 2.1mtrs x 500mm in between, so the two side beds are then 650 deep.

thanks

got a link to the solar openers?

mine is 1.8-1.7 high but its going on top of a row of breeze to boost it back up

Soldato
Got a load of different sunflowers on the go as well (as the kids love them)

Sunflowers are amazing to kids I remember when I grew mine, I didn't even know it was a sunflower just found this interesting black and white striped seed in my sisters hamster's food. Planted it and it grew... and grew... and grew to about 5 ft tall with a huge flower head the size of a dinnerplate it was taller than I was lol

Caporegime
I've got 3 different varieties on the go - American Giant, Titan and the one I'm looking forward to seeing Rouge Royale (dark red sunflowers!)
I got some titan :D but in containers so no idea how that works out :S

Wilko sell their own brand sunflower seeds for £0.50 a pack btw I think they were labelled as big yellow.

I keep buying 2-4 packs every time I go anywhere near a Wilko store then ninja planting the seeds in local parks etc or any bushes I'm walking past :)

hopefully birds and rats aren't digging them up and some manage to grow, I did a germination test at home since the packs are so cheap and more than half germinated within 2 days.

Soldato
iJBhxdv.jpg

I usually grow 4 plants (San Marzano and sun gold) in the green house and a couple in the veg garden.
But as I’ve started making passata, I’m growing 10 plants this year.
I also grow garlic, onions and oregano and roast them off, and blitz for tasty passata

kmvxnLQ.jpg

Yes, it’s easier to buy it, but not as much fun or as tasty.

Soldato
We've (well the Mrs) been growing tomatoes for years. We got a decent sized greenhouse earlier in the year so they're out there now after germinating on the house.

IMG-20220415-171636.jpg

IMG-20220415-171629.jpg

3 or 4 different varieties but all cherry rather that large / beef

We moved some into grow bags earlier

IMG-20220415-171641.jpg

Another lined up ready to go

IMG-20220415-171647.jpg

Some are going to be hardened off in cold frames

IMG-20220415-170909.jpg

Also waiting on some trellis and some will be going out on a South facing wall of the house

Back
Top Bottom