Anyone have a clue on how to fix a central locking motor?

Soldato
As title, the side cargo door of my van doesn't have a working central locking motor - the physical lock works manually by hand fine, but no central locking works, iv phoned around the supplier and brand of the van and oddly no one seems know - i cant find parts for it on ebay, you'd think a cental locking motor would be easy to come by - apparently not,

Anyone ever fixed anything like this ?

Soldato
I've fixed them on BMW's

main issues
- check the door will continue to work manually and central locking partially working won't block it, so you have to break into the panel from behind, I'm surprised if you don't have that risk ... it's usually a dead bolt so you can't open the door from inside if you put a brick through window.
- access to the module (size of a couple of cig packets) on a bm needed a mirror and complex manouver - extensive web research
- the motor in the unit turns a nylon bolt that pushes another plastic bar back and forth, you can re-lube the bolt and put switch cleaner on the microswitches that limit the travel and this may rejuvinate it.
- getting a replacement from a scrap yard, or ebay may work but usually expensive as they take some effor to strip out
- I ultimately removed it from one back door, that is now exclusively manual

Man of Honour
Door actuator.

Small part, easy to DIY, takes ages because of the small area of movement available in a normal car door with many acrs. As you've got a van, the doors are bigger with more space, shouldn't be an issue.

You can take the door card out and remove the actuator, get its part number and buy it on ebay, or contact your local scrapyard and salvage one off a donor car for even less.

Easy work really.

Back
Top Bottom