1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone have a Hot Tub?

Discussion in 'Home and Garden' started by FISHGUTS, 26 Dec 2017.

1. CaptainRAVE

Man of Honour

Chlorine tablets really seem to kill the pH. I need to remember this before I prepare the water for a cycle when I will use them - think I need to keep it a tad alkaline. Don’t really have a choice when back in work, I usually forget to put the chlorine granules in, which ends up being worse.

On the plus side, the water vacuum did a great job getting every last drop out, making the refill much cleaner. Slowly getting the hang of this gig.

2. Salsa

Wise Guy

Make sure your water is balanced correctly, in particular Total Alkalinity (80-100ppm usually) as that will help buffer against PH changes from using tablets. I use the tablets with an auto-doser in our tub and only use the chlorine granules when changing out the water or after heavy use. Does mean a bit more care to keep the water balanced but it just takes a quick check once a week and means the chlorine levels are consistent.

/Salsa

3. LiE

Capodecina

Anyone switched to or use bromine? Looks to be better than Chlorine in many ways for hot tub use.

4. Nathan

Mobster

thank you for the suggestion.

Really enjoying this system, no chlorine smell and the wife is happy. I notice the water is slowly turning a shade green however which I know points at algae, I have tried none chlorine shock and that did not work. How do you manage the colour of the water?

5. Bickaxe

Sgarrista

It might not necessarily be algae. It could be a mineral build up in the water.
    We had this a few times and after a very heavy dose of chlorine and leaving it on for about 3 hours, it cleared up.
    We are in a hard water area so it wasn't a surprise, just annoying.

Is there any slimy residue around the sides/waterline? This would point to algae.

6. CaptainRAVE

Man of Honour

7. LiE

Capodecina

Drain down today, thought I'd get it done before the weather turns to ****.

8. CaptainRAVE

Man of Honour

Yup, that’s my plan in a couple of weeks. Will then keep it going until feb/March. The tub has lasted so much better this time since using the vacuum to remove ever last drop of old water. The last chlorine tablet I put in has lasted about 2 weeks (turned down low and not being used).

9. LiE

Capodecina

I'm also filling mine with soft water this time, I feel like the epic amounts of calcium in the water doesn't help with the overall TDS in the water.

Edit:
    So reading it's not a good idea to fill with soft water as that can cause issues. Soft water is only really used when doing salt water (which ours can do).

Last edited: 14 Oct 2021
  10. Firestar_3x

Caporegime

11. 413x

Capodecina

If you're not using a hot tub is it better to sell or to leave at house for a selling point? Due to how difficult it is to move these?

12. LiE

Capodecina

Hot tub assist can move a hot tub, not sure how pricey it is. I guess if you find a buyer you can include the cost of moving it.

They are a good selling point of a house, but it depends if you're going to sell soon :p

13. 413x

Capodecina

I'm guessing you don't get much. Thanks for the info.

Was tentative on selling earlier in year. With price of electricity now it would cost a holiday to run over the year

14. Nathan

Mobster

Last house I used it in negotiation with price, sold the house with the tub in the end for more money.

I have also paid professional movers for my current one, £300. Bargain IMO.