Anyone Have Experience in Track Days/Driving Experiences type Gifts?

Associate
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas, im looking to get my dad a driving experience day for his birthday. He/Me have done a few before and you tend not to get that much actual driving time.

Does anyone know of any packages/locations where you get a more sensible amount of time actually driving the cars!?

Thanks in advance!

Sui

Sui

Soldato
Mercedes Benz World is decent.

Palmer sports is meant to be very good as well, but it is rather costly.

Both options are more than these red letter days type things, but you also get to drive the cars properly :D

Soldato
I did a red letter day type experience and enjoyed it, but an actual track day was loads better. It will completely depend on his driving experience and which cars he has driven before. If he's already driven a bunch of slightly worn out exotics short shifting around a circuit then he might want to do something more advanced like an actual track day (do you own any suitable cars for this?) with instruction.

I've also heard very good things about the Porsche experience centre at Silverstone.

Soldato
As above, if you're willing to spend the money I've only ever heard amazing things about the Palmer Sports days. They're not cheap at £1k+ but it's a full day of driving some awesome motors!

Soldato
Porsche Experience Centre is a good day out. If not the only ones from the usual generic red letter type experience I've ever heard good feedback about are the 4x4 sessions.

Caporegime
Thanks all! Porsche looks pretty decent and is the closest so will look into that!

I'll throw a curveball in the mix here:

Have you or your dad ever done a skid pan experience? It's far and away the most fun I've ever had in a car. There are different levels, ranging from a car sat on top of a cradle which is raised a bit to reduce traction, but the "proper" ones use a wet track with a massive white patch painted on it (you know how slippery road markings get when wet? Imagine one the size of a football field). Thruxton has a good one, for £185pp you can have a proper fun day out and you'll learn a hell of a lot about car control too.

Just my 2p :)

Here.

https://thruxtonracing.co.uk/experiences/skid-pan

Soldato
Also worth a look is booking a track day with a hire caterham from someone like bookatrack as i think they do them. They always look huge fun and that way you get to have some really decent seat time which could be shared between you and your dad and be able to properly push the limits.

Soldato
As above, if you're willing to spend the money I've only ever heard amazing things about the Palmer Sports days. They're not cheap at £1k+ but it's a full day of driving some awesome motors!

Was just about to mention them.

Like L'fox pointed out. Their experiences are pretty expensive. You get a lot in return though. Tuition, access to an array of interesting track cars and most importantly........ Food!

Edit - Their car line up has changed a lot since I first went. No more E92 M3, 911 Cup car or Jag XKR!

Associate
My father-in-law was given a Mercedes-Benz World experience voucher as a retirement present a few years back, with myself and my daughter as rear seat passengers in an AMG C63. His instructor was racing driver Paul Rees, who guided him round a wet skid-pan, some slalom course and a few laps of the track (plus a couple of other little parts). At the end of each section Paul took the driving seat and showed exactly how it was supposed to be done, including steering one-handed round the track, in the rain, at what felt like insane speeds, with us in the back getting thrown about like rag dolls. An utterly fantastic experience, lasted around 30-45 minutes but no idea of the cost.

Man of Honour
Back
Top Bottom