Anyone have experience with BT FTTP installs?

Associate
My engineer is coming 8-1pm today.. I have been waiting 2 months for this due to a variety of c*ck ups from openreach

I phoned BT 4 days ago and they told me the outside work has been done, yet upon googling apparently the outside work involves putting a small box outside my house, which has not been done. I always presumed the outside work meant working on the poles etc

so my question is,

can the engineer do both tomorrow?

or/

Is there a need not to have a small box outside the house for some installs? I'm in an old house btw

Caporegime
1 stage install, so no outside box or fibre blow. Probably just a connectorised fibre pulled through a duct or from a pole if you’re on overhead wires.

Associate
OP
1 stage install, so no outside box or fibre blow. Probably just a connectorised fibre pulled through a duct or from a pole if you’re on overhead wires.

oh thats great news

My existing copper wire comes over 2 houses, but on survey they said they'd run it from my gable end which looks out onto field.. where does it come from there? will they have to start digging pavements?

Caporegime
Don’t know, if it’s been surveyed though then they will know hopefully.

Are you on telegraph poles or underground? Sounds like it’s coming from a pole.

Associate
OP
Don’t know, if it’s been surveyed though then they will know hopefully.

Are you on telegraph poles or underground? Sounds like it’s coming from a pole.

there may be a pole nearby, they did say outside work has been done so I should trust their judgement I guess

Soldato
I recently had a connectorised FTTP install done.

It was all underground ducting, the timeline was as follows

• Lot of openreach engineers on the estate September - November installing fibre/aggreagation nodes etc. in the chambers under the pavement
  • December an openreach team went around pushing ropes through the underground conduits back to the chambers and tieing off, labelling.
  • End of December orders went live, I placed mine 27th December.
  • Mid January final site survey conducted by openreach and order status updated with Zen
  • Early Feb order completed and install done.

The actual install was about 3 hours for me. My install was the engineers first solo install. And he only had a 100+ metre reel of optical cable available when he got to the local depot. The run was 15 metres so he had to pull probably 100m of cable through, which took a while. I had already laid some conduit in front of the house which he puled it through, drilled into the front room, pulled and tidied the cables and after I think 2 or 3 attempts he was finally able to get the optical signal through fine.

Associate
OP
I recently had a connectorised FTTP install done.

It was all underground ducting, the timeline was as follows

• Lot of openreach engineers on the estate September - November installing fibre/aggreagation nodes etc. in the chambers under the pavement
  • December an openreach team went around pushing ropes through the underground conduits back to the chambers and tieing off, labelling.
  • End of December orders went live, I placed mine 27th December.
  • Mid January final site survey conducted by openreach and order status updated with Zen
  • Early Feb order completed and install done.

The actual install was about 3 hours for me. My install was the engineers first solo install. And he only had a 100+ metre reel of optical cable available when he got to the local depot. The run was 15 metres so he had to pull probably 100m of cable through, which took a while. I had already laid some conduit in front of the house which he puled it through, drilled into the front room, pulled and tidied the cables and after I think 2 or 3 attempts he was finally able to get the optical signal through fine.

This pretty much follows my timeline

Openreach was around estate September time, I asked if they was installing fibre and they said they was, so I was checking the BT site daily, Finally on 7th January I could order

I had no idea what they were doing in the manholes, but they was going from manhole to manhole with fibre cables, all too technical for me

I had my survey done about 2-3 weeks ago, and today the engineer arrives, Finally, after years and years of slow ADSL and no FTTC

Associate
OP
Just rang BT and they said engineer isnt visiting today as " outside work has not been done "

what a joke, I rang them 5 days ago and they informed me outside work has been done, and now they say " some digging needs to be done and costs involved etc "

I have a case handler, funny how she never informed me of this

Associate
I'll be interested to see how this turns out. We had fibre connectorised block terminal installed on the pole at the end of our lane this week so it's just a waiting game until the orders go live for FTTP. They will definitely need more than a 100m run to get down the lane though!! Not sure how that will work to be honest

Associate
OP
I'll be interested to see how this turns out. We had fibre connectorised block terminal installed on the pole at the end of our lane this week so it's just a waiting game until the orders go live for FTTP. They will definitely need more than a 100m run to get down the lane though!! Not sure how that will work to be honest

I emailed the ceo of BT, and today we had engineers doing the duct work, so hopefully I will be connected this week. I'm about 10 metres away from block terminal

Associate
OP
just the update

the engineers came today, my house is at the end of a block of 3 and the cable needs to be run from gable end of my neighbours house, and they refused to let the wiring run across their house

Caporegime
I can see why people wouldn't want cables run across the front of their house to be honest, but in rural areas it's not uncommon for rows of cottages to have the overhead power hook up at one end, and then run along the front to serve all the houses. Same with telephone lines back when it was the GPO doing the work. I'd be surprised if they could refuse permission as there would already be an implied wayleave in place for Openreach to maintain their infrastructure.

Associate
OP
Is this typical behaviour from them or are they just ****** off due to a lack of prior notice and proper consultation?

the ducting runs to their house, 2 days before the engineers put that black fiber splitter box on side of their house, without them knowing.. so they are ****** off with that

however, I spoke to him yesterday, and as long as wire is as close to gutter or hidden near fascia board I think we will be good to go

Back
Top Bottom