Anyone have parking wars with their neighbours?

Associate
we have one parking space for my car outside the house and the rest of the street is pretty quiet apart from our neighbour, my partners twin sister came over the house, 7 months pregnant, neighbour knocked the door and came in and asked her to move her car............ even thou there were space on the street

Soldato
We don't have a driveway, but there isn't a car opposite or to our right. To our left they have a whopping drive, so they're no problem. There should be plenty of space for our 1 car, keeping everyone happy. However, a house diagonally opposite to us has 4 adults, each with a car. There's also usually a wreck on their (substantial) driveway.

At one point we were parking 5 houses down the road, carrying bags of shopping and our young daughter to our house, when they can all park comfortably on their drive; but of course chose not to.

It has improved dramatically since we moved in 3 years ago though - I had a go at the daughter who now tries to park in front of our neighbours house. Mum and Dad near enough always park on the drive, or at least over their own drive. Son recently got some ear-ache regarding courtesy to neighbours and now parks further down the road (actually closer to him).

It's not as if we have a right to park directly outside our house, but there's so much available space to them with their drive or even the road closer to them that I feel it's just a case of courtesy. Thankfully, it seems to have sunk in.

/EDIT: The council have been useless too in getting a kerb dropped. Rang several times, they measured, didn't get back to us with a price, rang again and so on...

Associate
In our house we have 3 cars and only room enough for 2 cars on the driveway. We live in a cul-de-sac and there is someone that lives in the next road over who decides he can park 2 of his cars and his van in our road, Also put 2 cars on his driveway. Not bad considering only 2 adults and his kids live in his house.

I asked him would he mind if I could park close to my house as I have my ICT business and work from home and bring a lot of machines to my house to work on. The responce was a suprise to me really... "First come first served", Well ever since that we put a car in the road as soon as the first person gets home and put the other 2 on the driveway.

To top it all off his young kids come and play football in our road outside our house and I've lost count of the marks I have found on my car from hits ( I know footballs dont damage cars but I dont like cleaning the marks off ). I approched him about this and he replied "You could park somewhere else".

Soldato
OP
In our house we have 3 cars and only room enough for 2 cars on the driveway. We live in a cul-de-sac and there is someone that lives in the next road over who decides he can park 2 of his cars and his van in our road, Also put 2 cars on his driveway. Not bad considering only 2 adults and his kids live in his house.

I asked him would he mind if I could park close to my house as I have my ICT business and work from home and bring a lot of machines to my house to work on. The responce was a suprise to me really... "First come first served", Well ever since that we put a car in the road as soon as the first person gets home and put the other 2 on the driveway.

To top it all off his young kids come and play football in our road outside our house and I've lost count of the marks I have found on my car from hits ( I know footballs dont damage cars but I dont like cleaning the marks off ). I approched him about this and he replied "You could park somewhere else".

You should give this guy a call.

Yes, we have parking wars on our street. Sometimes it can be quite amusing.

There is one guy who lives on our street. He owns a transit van aswell as a car. He doesn't like parking either outside his own house as there is a tree so regularly parks everywhere else if he can.

One Friday he parked his van next door but one to me. The neighbour in question was expecting a large delivery of furniture so went over and politely asked if he would mind moving his van whilst they deliver. There were other spaces avaialble on the street but he declined.

My neighbours son was not too pleased with the response so that evening whilst on the way home from the pub, deflated all four of his tyres and went to bed. Saturday morning we wake up and find the van man is pumping his tyres back up. This takes sometime and we are having a bit of a laugh about it behind the curtains. He finishes his tyres and again leaves his van parked outside their house.

Saturday night, the neighbours son comes home from the pub, see's the van is still not moved so puts his chinese takeaway on top of the van, goes inside to fetch the stanley knife. Slashes all four of his tyres.

Sunday morning arrives and we find the van man now has a mobile tyre fitter out replacing his tyres. He moves the van this time.

The hilarious part of it was. Sunday night in the local pub is Karaoke. The van man and neighbours son are both in. The neighbours son goes on Karaoke and starts singing Jordan Sparks - No Air.

He doesn't park his van outside their house anymore.

Associate
I wouldnt mind winding him up but I feel it wouldnt get us anywhere, Got to admit though I know how they feel.

Soldato
Nope somehow its fine down our road, we get quite a lot of people parking down here who work in the local town, which causes a nightmare monday to friday. Our neighbours are all quite good and use their drives, and we all lend spaces during the day if people require them. Bit more awkward to park when my parents are in the country as it means our driveway goes from 2 cars to 4.

Soldato
what used to wind me up was the fact that most people had 2 cars on the street, some also had a van. They all had one car parked out side their terraced houses and their others as close as possible to their house.

Often like the other poster, i had to trail halfway down the street with a newborn and shopping.

Luckly it doesnt matter anymore, as it isnt a problem here, currently have a Jeep liberty, Shogun sport, and a Hummer in front of the house :)

Permabanned

In the street next to mine, their is a family 2 adults 2 18 year olds, they all have a car each and a works van, they park on the path and grass verge and in the road, looks a mess, sometimes park right on the junction to my street so its a nightmare pulling in/out its only going to get worst as more families move in, a lot of neighbours are retired so have one car at the most.

Soldato
No but my parents do. Often people deliberatly park so that only 1 car can go where 2 are able to fit. It annoys both parties and causes retaliation. Personally I park all the way down the street and just walk. Its easier.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes, we have parking wars on our street. Sometimes it can be quite amusing.

There is one guy who lives on our street. He owns a transit van aswell as a car. He doesn't like parking either outside his own house as there is a tree so regularly parks everywhere else if he can.

One Friday he parked his van next door but one to me. The neighbour in question was expecting a large delivery of furniture so went over and politely asked if he would mind moving his van whilst they deliver. There were other spaces avaialble on the street but he declined.

My neighbours son was not too pleased with the response so that evening whilst on the way home from the pub, deflated all four of his tyres and went to bed. Saturday morning we wake up and find the van man is pumping his tyres back up. This takes sometime and we are having a bit of a laugh about it behind the curtains. He finishes his tyres and again leaves his van parked outside their house.

Saturday night, the neighbours son comes home from the pub, see's the van is still not moved so puts his chinese takeaway on top of the van, goes inside to fetch the stanley knife. Slashes all four of his tyres.

Sunday morning arrives and we find the van man now has a mobile tyre fitter out replacing his tyres. He moves the van this time.

The hilarious part of it was. Sunday night in the local pub is Karaoke. The van man and neighbours son are both in. The neighbours son goes on Karaoke and starts singing Jordan Sparks - No Air.

He doesn't park his van outside their house anymore.

The son should be in jail, ****. Slashing tyres, what a ****!

Soldato
Slashing tyres is way way too far. I would most certianly retaliat big time to that.

Why didnt he get the police involved? Its obvious who did it.

Associate
We have a family on our cul-de-sac who appear to be running a car hire / airport parking business, they can have anything up to 11 cars sometimes strewn across their garden, across the front of their house and in all of the available visitors spaces, sometimes they overhang their driveway and have cars parked across making it very awkward to get in and out of my parking space. New cars keep turning up every day and sitting there without being moved for weeks at a time.

He's even managed to block people from driving in and out of the car park at the top of the picture by having so many cars parked end to end.

All the cars with a red dot belong to the house (arrowed) - and this is on a quiet day !

I used to live in a housing estate next to a university and the road/pavement was pretty much always like this!

Eventually someone called the fire brigade, which got stuck and could not get down the street - who in turn called the police and fined the drivers blocking the entrance.

Soldato
I'm very lucky. You can squeeze two small/medium cars nose to tail on the driveway, one across the driveway and one behind the house in a private parking bay. I also live opposite a turning circle big enough for 4 cars so generally parking is pretty easy.

The only thing that makes life difficult sometimes is that the owners of the flats opposite all have allocated bays but insist in parking in the turning circle (which is right next door to their alloted bays) so I don't really understand why they don't use them instead of taking up spaces that visitors could use.:confused:

Soldato
Why didnt he get the police involved? Its obvious who did it.
There is no point as there is no evidence.
Sure he knows who most likely did it but that isn't enough, you need to catch someone while doing it.

I had one of my tyres slashed when I had my old car standing on the steet for 3 weeks when it was for sale, I did the only thing I could do and moved the car.
I know who did it, he knows I know but there is nothing you can do.

Soldato
I have a drive and a garage but it's a really tight squeeze for the mondeo so i tend to just park on the road outside my house as i'm in / out quite a lot anyway and i cba getting out to open the gates every time i pull up, i've lived here for 2 months now and last week someone had placed a note behind my windscreen wiper saying 'you have a driveway, please can you use it'. Cheeky bleeders, surely i'm entitled to use the road outside my house, i can fit 2 cars out the front of my house without invading anybody elses space. I leave it on the road permanently now out of principle.

Soldato
There is no point as there is no evidence.
Sure he knows who most likely did it but that isn't enough, you need to catch someone while doing it.

I had one of my tyres slashed when I had my old car standing on the steet for 3 weeks when it was for sale, I did the only thing I could do and moved the car.
I know who did it, he knows I know but there is nothing you can do.

How could you just put up with that?

It must have taken a lot for you not to retaliate in some way or another?

Back
Top Bottom