Anyone heard of ak4458vn DAC?

Man of Honour
You'll find that family of DACs in a lot of mid level consumer hardware. For actual noise/distortion its up there with the better PC soundcards but a lot will depend on how well its potential it utilised by the surrounding circuitry i.e. good layout and using audio grade capacitors, etc. instead of cheaping out with "jellybean" parts.

Soldato
You may find the pre-amp in the AVR to be pretty awful though.

If you want decent sound with a AVR, then I'd add a stereo integrated amp, and built a stereo/av pre-power system instead.

Soldato
as above - most DACs are "absolutely fine" - but often as big an influence is the surrounding circuitry

that said I've always preferred "2 channel DACs" over "multi-channel" ones -but not sure if placebo

my Denon 7200 has the AKM4390 DACs - same "range" (just higher up and 2 channel) of AKMs as those in the 7011 - so imagine has similar sound - and I think sounds great

considering Marantz are normally pretty good with their surrounding circuitry I think you'll find it sounds great :)

whats the setup/what are you using the pre-outs into ?

Soldato
OP
as above - most DACs are "absolutely fine" - but often as big an influence is the surrounding circuitry

that said I've always preferred "2 channel DACs" over "multi-channel" ones -but not sure if placebo

my Denon 7200 has the AKM4390 DACs - same "range" (just higher up and 2 channel) of AKMs as those in the 7011 - so imagine has similar sound - and I think sounds great

considering Marantz are normally pretty good with their surrounding circuitry I think you'll find it sounds great :)

whats the setup/what are you using the pre-outs into ?

Primare l22 >>>>>>> Tannoy 6.4 speakers

:)

Associate
My Anthem MRX720 uses the same Dac and it sounds great for 2 channel music paired with Bower and Wilkins 685 stand mount speakers. Cant see you being disapointed with using the marantz as a Pre amp .

Soldato
bit confused though - you're not really using the Primare as a pre-amp

you're using it as a pre-and power amp - as well as the pre-amp in your Anthem

? not sure you'll gain a huge amount ?

Back
Top Bottom