Anyone here a member of a karting club?

Soldato
A friend of mine is an avid karter and a pretty good driver, if you want to race competively you need to pass a test and get a licence, theres a good range of classes to choose from, he's in the Rotax max class, a kart and all the gear would probably set you back about £3k, then you need all the usual maintenance gear and either a transit van or trailer.

I did think about joining him in it but just found it rather too expensive. Also you need to be fairly fit as its quite enduring racing with 20+ karts on a small track.

Soldato
Thats quite a good price, track near me is around £120 for the hour, but if you've never done anything like it before a one hour race will be pretty gruelling, those pro karts are heavy going but still pretty fun, and fool proof.

Associate
OP
Well I rung up and tried to book but it was fully booked and was told that booking around a month before is the only way to guarantee a place lol - so im going to try for next month I think ;)

Associate
Buckmore is a good track, I normally compete in the 3/6 hour endurance events held there in a team of 2/3. Have always finished in the top 6 out of a grid of 30+, so pretty happy with that considering the top few teams take it very seriously. Last time I raced was two weeks ago and still have a couple of bruises that the rib protected didnt completely avert, and the skin is only just starting to heal on the inside of my right thumb from a massive blister.

First and second chicanes are always the corners that catch new people out, brake progressively into the first, and then short and sharp into the second, you do not want to be braking while turning on either of them.

It's great fun, with a really fun atmosphere.

Soldato
I'm trying to get my mates to go and do one of those 3 hour event races, with 6 of us going to keep the costs down. Figure it'd be a really good day out.

Also tempted to go there tonight for some free practise in advance of the above. :o

Soldato
Buckmore Park is a great track!

Went there a couple of years ago on a corporate day, did both Grand Prix (which I didn't do particularly well in, was still learning the track!) then a 25 minute "endurance" race, when I came 2nd - only a couple of seconds behind someone who had been an avid karter for years - not bad for my first ever karting visit ;)

Back
Top Bottom