Anyone here use Sage 200 Manufacturing (or just Sage 200)?

Caporegime
Hi all

One of the companies I work for is still using the ancient DOS-based Sage 100, with manufacturing requirements taken care of by a third party module (works orders, BOMs, SOP, POP, etc.). I have finally convinced the FD to shell out for an upgrade and from my initial canvas, it seems that Sage 200 Manufacturing is the best fit in terms of:

- User friendliness.
- Fit with company (another Sage product would be the easiest to implement, even if it is just because it's also called Sage so people won't be scared off so much).
- Allows all the relevant job costing, works order processing, purchase planning, and batch manufacturing etc. facilities that we would need.
- Sage has excellent support in my experience.

But, what is it like to use on a day-to-day basis? Any practical experience from any members? Is it actually any good, user friendly, reliable etc.?

We'll be getting a demo from a salesperson, but I'd be interested to hear people's likes and gripes so I can be more informed when questioning the salesperson, as well as the fact that the salesperson's opinion on the quality of the product is hardly likely to be reliably neutral.

Thanks.

Soldato
Cant speak for Sage but I am an IT Consultant that implements NetSuite for various clients. Quite a high percentage of those come from using another smaller system and in most cases its Sage.

Take a look at NetSuite, it does all you want and more.

Caporegime
OP
Thanks, but:

- Cloud-based isn't going to happen. The guy's needed enough persuasion just to change systems. The thought of data not stored locally and internet downtime meaning no productivity, would be more than he would humour.

- Would you call yourself the most neutral pundit, being as it's in your interest for people to buy NetSuite? :p

- Transferring from one Sage product to another would be less of a shock to the userbase than transferring to a brand new solution, primarily just because of the confidence that comes with the fact that they're 'still using Sage'...we can pimp it as an upgrade rather than a massive change, along with all the extra new learning of methodology etc. that changing entirely would entail.

Soldato
Hey, no point going over the merits of cloud Vs hardware. Most big cloud systems have an up time of over 99.9% these days which is better than most small companies hardware solutions, not to mention money to maintain and upgrade said hardware. Each to their own I suppose.

Didnt say I was neutral ;), I was mearly quoting from my experiance of doing the job I have been doing for the last 8 years. And prob about 80% of our clients have jumped ship from Sage.

Yep, its the biggest hurdle I face everyday, if I had a quid for everytime I hear 'well it wasnt like that in Sage' I wouldnt need to work :D But change isnt always bad, it just takes getting used to. And if something is a better solution then that change is eased.

Really not trying to pimp the product I work with, there are stacks of solutions out there that are far more flexible and userfrindly then Sage. Just research a few and you might be pleasently supprised.

Caporegime
OP
It's not the cloud server I'm worried about, it's their crappy BT business internet connection. It seems to go down every other week. I personally am all for a cloud way of doing things, I just couldn't sell it to this guy.

Thanks for your responses though.

Still hoping that someone on this forum has experienced Sage 200!?

Back
Top Bottom