Anyone here work for Openreach or BT Local Business?

DHR

DHR

Soldato
Having a right nightmare with something that was 'sold' as a non-disruptive replacement, requiring no config etc after my EFM line, which is used as a backup, was flagged for retirement. Was wanting to pick someones brain about it!

Long story short, the account manager was trusted :rolleyes: then a smart hub 2 turns up to replace the backup line. When raised, I've been told we'd have to "reconfigure our LAN" in the event our primary line fails, so no auto fail over which we had previously.

Obviously, config likely needed and very little trust, I'm now having to lean on our legal team to dispute the contract - I just need a working solution at this point as i'm getting twitchy!

Soldato
Unless BT are supplying a fully managed service then someone will have had to configure your existing WAN inputs in the past.

In my experience BT ALWAYS supply a smart humb and you need an engineers visit where they will find you a modem off the back of their van, or, if they’ve provided FTTP then they will wave the ethernet cable at you.

Firstly, you need to establish what speed EFM you had and what they have replaced it with. That’s probably your only basis for complaint. An 80/20 FTTC connection isn’t as good for a business as 35/35 EFM even though the headline figures look massively better.

Was it a fixed IP address? Is it still?

You need something to plug from your incoming connection to your backup WAN on your router. For FTTP or a leased line that will be a standard network cable. For FTTP you’ll need a modem and a network cable.

If you had automatic failover in the past, then you will have a router with WAN1 (your primary connection - probably your leased line) and WAN2 - the one your old EFM line plugged into.

The automatic failover is handled by your router, not BT. And unless you’ve somehow unconfigured that, it will still work so long as you plug a working connection into it.

You can plug the SmartHub2 into your WAN2 port and it will likely work, but double NAT’d.

Back
Top Bottom