1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone into Gundam (or Gunpla)

Discussion in 'Tabletop Games, Wargaming and Scale Modelling.' started by Raymond Lin, 9 Oct 2021.

1. DEL 707

Mobster

Nice looking model.

Never had much luck with with my few attempts at weathering on 40k minatures, but I have seen plenty of fantastic results, especially on vehicles.
    Looking forward to seeing what you achieve.

2. PC777

Hitman

Built the freebie I got from my minis order with Gundam Mad and it's a suitably mad design, turns out this is from the original, or longest running SD range and they're quite big as you can see in these comparison images with Lego mini figure, SD CS, and 144 HG UC for reference. Too big for me to collect though was fun to build and I'd keep this one, but not get any others. With the wingspan it's huge, but a good thing is many parts from it can be put on other scale Gundam models so it's great for using parts to make custom builds. Almost totally done with minis now as no more room for them, looking at some 144 sets next up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. DEL 707

Mobster

I do like that 1 in the middle. Very over the top, but in a good way.

4. PC777

Hitman

Yeah it's still cool looking, something about ultra cute robots tooled up with a load of weapons is appealing, though the wingspan is 30cm so it takes up a lot of space, can fit about 6-8 small SDs on the same space it takes up.

There's a massive range of them too, over 400 or so, the SD BB range, I do like them but just too big to collect for me.

https://bandai-hobby.net/brand/bb/

5. PC777

Hitman

Finished my minis shelf, now done with them and onto the other side of it for 144s. Got an order of them delivered and some panel line markers, been trying them out on a spare mini, but with mixed results, I may go back and panel line all these minis at some stage, but for now are all just base kits with extra stickers I added to some.

Can fit a lot of models in a fairly small space, 25 deep, 28 high and 45cm width half of a shelf, replaces a boring office storage box, a much nicer view now above my desk. Just uses 2 x £10 stands and a £17 RGB light powered by a powerbank, may make a front cover/door from custom cut acrylic at some point. Even as it is it works great as a mood/theme illuminated shelf.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Minis were a great way to start this hobby for me, all fun kits to build, only with some fiddly stickering.

Be good to see some more updates from anyone else.

6. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

Oh wow, you've been busy! that's quite a line up

7. PC777

Hitman

Haha, yeah that lot certainly kept me busy over Xmas and through New Year. Cheers for making this topic by the way - I'd no idea how versatile these were, from not needing any paint or glue with simple models like I've been making, to taking it to custom paintjob levels with some really complex models.

A great hobby I'm surprised isn't more popular in the UK due to how popular other modelling and Lego is, I came close to buying a few big Lego sets in lockdown, but just not enough room, these are a great alternative for me.

8. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

i think in terms of cost per minute spend is great value for money. A £30 kit can easily last 2 days of build. A £30 Lego set can be done quite quickly. The only down side is you only build it once, but I’m not those who rebuild it so it’s the same to me between Gunpla and Lego, I build then display.

9. DEL 707

Mobster

Nice setup and great looking models.