Anyone know anything about oldish mercs? circa 1989.

Soldato
I've been offerend a merc for nowt that needs a couple of bits doing for an MOT. I'm thinking of getting it, cleaning it up, MOTing it and flogging it for a few squid profit, but I know nothing about mercs. I've not seen it close up yet, so not sure what model it is. I think its a 300 something.

It looks a lot like this (colour and shape) except its a hatch:

http://images.automotive.com/tmpimages/1/Mercedes-Benz-300-Series-9163.jpg

It's an LPG dual fuel conversion, I don't know if its auto or manual.

Are these things worth anything, and what sub-class might it be? 300E etc.?

Soldato
More than the whole old merc thing, check out the LPG conversion. Some early (and even later...) ones are woefully poor and will cause nasty failures.

Like to rusta bit, especially the bodywork and the interiors can fall to bits quite readily in my experience. Parts aren't cheap but can be picked up nd hand for sensible prices, generally of the bay/local scrapper.

Engines are pretty much indestructable iirc, but the LPG conversion could see to that tbh. Didn't know they did a hatch, defo did and esstate (some 7 seaters) and these go for a premium.

Soldato
OP
Ah, hatch = estate to me. They are worth more then? Or is it only the 7 seatrs that do? Cool.

The current owner thinks all that needs doing to get it in good nick is one rubber component (?!) a leak round the sunroof (hope the interior is ok!) and the rad fan doesn't work. The LPG is a relatively recent addition I believe. It is one that you have to start on petrol and then change over however.

Will be looking at it at some point.

Soldato
OP
Is that all the car may be worth? £300? :(

Confirmed it's a 300TE and it's a 1990 but that's all I know from walking past it. Current owner is emigrating so has no use for it. If it's only going to be worth a couple of hundred I don't think it's worth my effort.

Soldato
nutcase_1uk said:
Is that all the car may be worth? £300? :(

Confirmed it's a 300TE and it's a 1990 but that's all I know from walking past it. Current owner is emigrating so has no use for it. If it's only going to be worth a couple of hundred I don't think it's worth my effort.

maybe just keep it yourself then, the way I look at it its free experience and it doesnt matter if you **** it up because it was free, £300 quid is still £300 if you came to sell i tfor that much.

Soldato
300TE? 3L then. My father has had an estate Mercedes from since I've been born, so I know pretty much a lot about them. LPG conversion though, that's the one thing I don't know about. The first thing that normally goes off on this car is the Exaust, they're pretty strong cars, but if you over do with the heavy loading, the shocks and suspension go, as I know from first hand experience lol. :rolleyes:

£300 :confused:. Guess it's ok, should be worth atleast £500-900. We sold our old 1986 Face-lift 230TE for 50 quid, and it was absoloutley ****** like a p*rn star lol.

Back
Top Bottom