• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone know of a graphics card repair center??? Changed thermal pads on my RTX 3090 now no display..

Associate
Pretttttty gutted at the moment, I have double-checked on a 2nd system, stripped it down and checked everything, all the thermal pads were measured and the correct sizes used depth etc, 1mm replaced with 1 mm etc.

I have not had any issues with many other cards that I have repasted in the past.

The card lights up, and the fans spin, but no display at all.

I have checked cables.

There is no sign of bowing on the card, it went back together well, screws went in nice and tight.

It is an rtx 3090, it would still be under warranty as it is around 24 months old, but I guess with me breaking the warranty seal, the warranty with ASUS will be voided????

Any help or advice would be great, but a good repair centre recommendation would be great too.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah man. Sorry to hear. I don't think there are any people in the UK that I've heard of that offer this type of service, none that I would happily trust.

There are a couple of folks in the US perhaps you could ship it to?

I'd be tempted to go to Asus and just see what they say repair wise

Associate
Have you tried it as a 2nd gpu and see if it shows up in device manger etc ? if the display is just dead but card functions normally then it may be useful to a miner so you may be able to recoup some of the cost if it still work that for way for mining ( which doesn't require a display output if using multiple cards ) . Alternatively you could try an rma and at worst they will say you have broken it and send it back as it is or you could get lucky like the person who had a damaged 3080FE and although he had opened it was able to get it replaced under rma .

Soldato
Makes me wonder what it is you did to it that caused that.

I mean yes, I know you took the cooler off, but must have caused some kind of secondary damage.

Bit unlucky.

I think ASUS will fob you off, but you've nothing really to lose.

Soldato
Same thing happened to my 6900xt when I changed the TIM, I was sweating big time. I then took it all apart and realised I had not tightened the four screws that hold the cooler onto the GPU properly, the spread of the TIM also showed this. Screwed it back on in the correct sequence this time reassembled it all and it fired up fine.

Just trying to say retrace all your steps and check the GPU paste has spread properly to show the cooler was seated okay.

Man of Honour
Some of the tech channels like LTT, TYC and buildzoid do repairs on their channel sometimes, you could try offering it to them if you have nothing to lose.

Soldato
I would open it again , and put it back together and check again , try to RMA might as well try

I been watching this YouTube called learn electronics repair seems to be English and watched him repair few graphic cards maybe could try reaching out

Associate
OP
Thank you all for your replies and help.

I contacted the genius Youtube repair guy at Tech Cemetery, he is based in America (I think) but he has recommended a good repair place in the UK, I have checked their feedback too, seem to have a good rep.

I bought the card from Overclockers, might give them a call in the morning, to see what their past experience have been like with broken seal ASUS RMA repairs.

Upon reflection and pondering what may have gone wrong, I'm guessing when cleaning off the old paste I might have knocked a resistor around the main core.

So I'm hoping it will be a fairly easy repair and not too expensive.

When I put the card In the system, no display from either onboard or from the GPU, which might indicate a short on the GPU... Which could be caused by a resistor issue.

With the right magnification equipment, hopefully it will be an easy fix...

I shall update the post with how things go, as it might be helpful for others in the future.

Last edited:
Soldato
I always re thermal paste graphics cards, the paste used on graphics cards I always find poor. I use electro static wrist strap, however unlikely there could be damaged by ESD.

Not saying ESD has caused this (probably not), but using one it's one less thing that could possibly cause damage. Also the act of putting a ESD strap on your wrist kind of slows you down, your in a more careful state of mind once your wearing one.

Soldato
Thank you all for your replies and help.

I contacted the genius Youtube repair guy at Tech Cemetery, he is based in America (I think) but he has recommended a good repair place in the UK, I have checked their feedback too, seem to have a good rep.

What is the repair place called in the UK? I've got a card id like to try and repair.

Back
Top Bottom