Anyone know when do they replace the current line up of AV Receivers?

Caporegime
I've been wanting to get a new AV now but notice that the last time Denon and co refreshed it was last summer…are we due another one?

I also notice that Sony hasn't done anything to their STR-DN1080 for 3 years! Do manufacturer refresh with a new one annually? Sony clearly doesn't.

It's not that the current line up don't meet my requirement, it's just that they normally go on sale when the new one comes out, so I am looking for that mainly.

Associate
A few of them went through a phase (including Sony) of almost annual launches but that has slowed over the last few years.

Denon/Marantz launched the bulk of their "new" range last summer as you say but have new models at the top of the range out soon. Pioneer/Onkyo have new models due out by the end of summer though I'm not sure what UK availability will be like.

Yamaha launched a new range earlier this year.

Can't see much old stock being available at the mo due to last years manufacturing slow down.

Associate
While not fully relevent but maybe helpfull, they are starting to support hdmi 2.1 now, so check for that. Some still have firmware issues with support for this though, so you'll need to tread lightly there.

Soldato
Massive slow down in the AVR market. I believe supply and soundbars are mostly to blame.

Where Sony is concerned, they've not really needed to do anything else from the STR-DN 1080 (which is 4 years old now!) except release something with HDMI 2.1, whch has been a mess to implement for many other manufactureres so I wouldn't be surpised if they were taking their time with it.

I was waiting for something new but ended up going to an STR-DN 1080 as I had the 1040 before and was really impressed. No regrets, but I don't have any requirement for HDMI 2.1 for the foreseable so it was an easy decision.

Soldato
I would only update my receiver if I needed HDMI 2.1 and could get one for a reasonable price. At the moment the TV's single unoccupied HDMI 2.1 (Now for the Series X) port is enough. If I started to use PC again that might be an issue though.

Caporegime
OP
Massive slow down in the AVR market. I believe supply and soundbars are mostly to blame.

Where Sony is concerned, they've not really needed to do anything else from the STR-DN 1080 (which is 4 years old now!) except release something with HDMI 2.1, whch has been a mess to implement for many other manufactureres so I wouldn't be surpised if they were taking their time with it.

I was waiting for something new but ended up going to an STR-DN 1080 as I had the 1040 before and was really impressed. No regrets, but I don't have any requirement for HDMI 2.1 for the foreseable so it was an easy decision.

I have the 1040 currently and it makes sense to get the 1080 but i do want HDMI 2.1, I have a new Xbox and I want to future proof as much as possible.

Soldato
I have the 1040 currently and it makes sense to get the 1080 but i do want HDMI 2.1, I have a new Xbox and I want to future proof as much as possible.

Providing it's possible with your TV connections and you don't mind the extra cable, you could hook the XBox up direct to the TV via HDMI 2.1 and use eARC back to the AVR. It's not ideal, but it's a potential option.

Otherwise it's either wait for Sony to do something or try out Yamaha or Denon offerings, not sure where they got to with solving the HDMI 2.1 though.

Caporegime
OP
Providing it's possible with your TV connections and you don't mind the extra cable, you could hook the XBox up direct to the TV via HDMI 2.1 and use eARC back to the AVR. It's not ideal, but it's a potential option.

Otherwise it's either wait for Sony to do something or try out Yamaha or Denon offerings, not sure where they got to with solving the HDMI 2.1 though.

The Sony is being weird actually as well. You know how it self detects inputs when you switch on a console? It does that but sometimes it will go back to the old signal (still on, like my Fire Stick). It will do it a few times so I keep pressing the new input on the remote.

Soldato
The Sony is being weird actually as well. You know how it self detects inputs when you switch on a console? It does that but sometimes it will go back to the old signal (still on, like my Fire Stick). It will do it a few times so I keep pressing the new input on the remote.

Sounds like some whacky CEC conflict. Try disabling CEC on the Firestick and see if the problem still exists. Though, you'll probably want it on, it's worth trying just to see where the source of the problem is.

Soldato
There's a bit of a gap between £600 and £1000.
If going new i'd see if you can find a Denon AVC-X3700H or Marantz SR6015 on deal or stretch the budget. But depends how big you want/need to go.

Open to looking at second hand? If so then eBay will likely have a multitude of options.

Worth pinging @lucid *ping!*

Caporegime
OP
There's a bit of a gap between £600 and £1000.
If going new i'd see if you can find a Denon AVC-X3700H or Marantz SR6015 on deal or stretch the budget. But depends how big you want/need to go.

Open to looking at second hand? If so then eBay will likely have a multitude of options.

Worth pinging @lucid *ping!*

My shortlist currently are

Yamaha RX-A2A

https://petertyson.co.uk/yamaha-rx-a2a-av-receiver?___SID=U

Denon 3700 (I swear this was £50 cheaper last night)

https://petertyson.co.uk/denon-avc-x3700h-amplifier?___SID=U

Marantz 6015

https://petertyson.co.uk/marantz-sr6015-7-2ch-8k-av-amplifier?___SID=U

I need it to have

Dolby Vision/HDR
6 inputs MINIMUM, 7 preferable. I have Switch, PS5, PS4, Series X, Sky, Amazon Fire Stick to plug in.
Must do 4k/60
HDMI 2.1, I think the Yamaha does HDMI 2.3? So that wins for future proofing.
7.2 channels, I only have 5.1 but again, future proofing.
Bluetooth and Airplay would be good.
DLNA would be good

Soldato
I'm not sure if they've updated the Yamaha RX-A2A for HDMI 2.1 yet or whether they've had issues, worth checking AV Forums/reviews. It's also basically a bigger more expensive RXV6A IIRC from AV Forums.

Soldato
Yamaha are claiming they will fix the older models with a firmware update but haven’t come up with it as yet afaik. It doesn’t look hopeful after all this time. It is a faulty chip after all.

Denon/marantz have gone with the converter box solution mostly and called it a day.

Yamaha newer ones have updated chips apparently, not 100% if that has solved it but it looks promising as long as you want one of these models
https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/2021-aventage-receivers

Back
Top Bottom