1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone non-panic buying?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bainbridge, 8 Oct 2021.

1. Jean-F

Mobster

2. chroniclard

Capodecina

What prompted this latest guff?

3. Chris Wilson

Soldato

People's ignorance of how the political slant of the Daily Mail has changed under its new leadership.

4. CREATIVE!11

Soldato

I think there is going to come a point we have to hold the media to account for this.

I believe they have continually played a large role in all of it. Look at the fuel "crisis".

They go out print these "crisis" stories and LOOK AT ALL THESE EMPTY SHELVES!!!!

When I worked at tesco 10 years ago we'd sometimes have empty shelves like that for day or two if deliveries were late. It didn't mean there was a "crisis" or a shortage.... It's the language they consistently use thats starting to annoy me. They are going to cause another wave of panic buying. I don't doubt there are empty shelves in some shops of course. But what i'm saying is i've not seen any in any of the shops i've been in so far. I live near a big city too.

There have been few things empty as usual that's about it.

5. cheesefest

Wise Guy

Spot on there!

6. cheesefest

Wise Guy

Noticed at my work- 3 out of 40-43 lines of pasta sold out.

7. ThriceNightly

Wise Guy

struggling to source tonic water again

8. ThriceNightly

Wise Guy

Was reading about issues about 2021 durum wheat harvest

Definite worth stocking up

9. cheesefest

Wise Guy

I will go anywhere to get my tonic water - got plenty of gin though

10. cheesefest

Wise Guy

Yet these people never bring bags with them when shopping? Why is this? Obviously got more money than sense.

11. deuse

Capodecina

I'm shocked :eek:
    That people buy meat from super markets!

12. Psycho Sonny

Caporegime

Not seen any empty shelves other than the stuff that's always been missing like soda water.

I don't understand panic buying anyway 90% of what we eat is fresh. You cannot just freeze everything to hoard for months.

Also the last thing I want to do is have to buy a chest freezer to take up space purely for this pointless exercise.

I have found our local supermarket albeit making the most money it ever has is employing less and less checkout staff. There was one till open and about 20 empty last visit. They are pushing scan and shop and self serve checkouts.

I don't like the direction it's headed in. If I wanted non existent service I'd shop in Aldi. These supermarkets profits have doubled during the pandemic. It's shocking to see this kind of cost cutting exercise with no savings passed on.

13. Diddums

Capodecina

Stupid people will be the downfall of this country.

14. cheesefest

Wise Guy

My work wants more customers going through self scan. My work is used by elderly customers who don’t understand technology. All these ideas are planned by head office staff who have never been in my store and see the typical customers that shop here.

Plus when colleagues leave, they don’t get replaced fully. Between last month and end Jan, four colleagues left or are leaving. They do 60-70 hours a week. Getting two staff in doing 30-36 hours.

15. dLockers

Sgarrista

Where do they buy their food from? :confused:

16. Blackjack Davy

Soldato

All the extra energy these freezers are going to consume and the national grid is already warning of potential power cuts this winter!

I guess all these people will have to get diesel generators incase of that, but hang on what if theres a fuel shortage...

The big problem with self scan is they're only designed for baskets not for trolleys and when I shop in the evening none of the staff want to man the checkout ailses so you end up piling it on the self scan until I can't get anymore on pay for that bag it up place it on the floor then deal with the other half of the trolley. Drives me nuts.

17. Mr Badger

Sgarrista

Slight aside here, but supermarkets are probably behind the banks on this. For years there has been a relentless drive by already profitable banks to close branches and get customers to do things for themselves, mostly online. There used to be eight banks and building societies along my local high street and now there is just one. Not much consideration for old folk that don't want to adapt to new technology and prefer to use cash and cheques and pay bills in person.

18. Digital X

Sgarrista

Not panic buying at all, buying less in fact. Saw someone in Aldi the other day with no less than 8 loaves of bread. Either they're panic buying or really love a good sarnie.

19. 200sols

Sgarrista

Or catering for an event which requires crappy sandwiches?

20. Digital X

Sgarrista

That's a possibility. Although they stock Hovis there so it's OK.