Anyone photo edit on a curved screen?

Caporegime
Hi all,

Just wondering. Anyone here do a lot of photo editing on a curved screen?

I am considering buying one for a big part of "well it looks cool" but want to know if anyone has used one and noticed any of the benefits they're supposed to bring? :)

Thanks all!

Soldato
I don't know if I'd like that. I would prefer a consistent color tone not one that would have the potential to shift as the image reached the edge. I noticed this on my Led last night and couldn't t finish the print until I had gone across the screen up and down, left to right, standing and sitting, close and then some ten to twelve feet away.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just got my first curved screen and there is a perceptible colour shift and also brightness drops off as you get the to extreme edges.

Planning to keep my U2515H for photo work.

For gaming though it’s pretty cool!

Associate
I've had the Acer Predator for a few months now and I've done some editing with it. My main worry was that the curve would be a major issue for straightening horizons and pano stitching but I've just completed a 3 image stitch without issues this past week.

I find personally that the image is usually centred in the monitor so distortion and potential light falloff or colour shifts haven't been a problem for me. Overall I think the main benefit is that I can have the image centered in Lightroom/Photoshop and have the side panels open all the time without getting in the way. I wouldn't say that it's been a game changer for editing but at least it means I can stick with a single monitor for all purposes. For gaming and programming it's a different story..

Soldato
I've had the Acer Predator for a few months now and I've done some editing with it. My main worry was that the curve would be a major issue for straightening horizons and pano stitching but I've just completed a 3 image stitch without issues this past week.

I find personally that the image is usually centred in the monitor so distortion and potential light falloff or colour shifts haven't been a problem for me. Overall I think the main benefit is that I can have the image centered in Lightroom/Photoshop and have the side panels open all the time without getting in the way. I wouldn't say that it's been a game changer for editing but at least it means I can stick with a single monitor for all purposes. For gaming and programming it's a different story..

Which monitor did you have before ?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I believe @mrk did have one for a limited time? Not sure if he still has it...

I had both 34" curved and 34" flat. Also had the 29" variety. I sold the curved as it really wasn't to my liking for photo editing, but was amazing for media and games.

Even though the screen does not distort the image physically, the perception of distortion was there by means of illusion. Most noticeable when editing landscapes or architecture, less so with portraits. Basically photos with leading straight lines in the scenery were the ones most affected by this.

IPS glow is a non issue in my experience, because it is something you quickly dial out with your brain automatically. backlight bleed is an issue for various panels, but only a bigger issue if you are viewing dark media content rather than editing photos, because 99% of the time your workflow palettes in LR/PS are living on the edges and corners, so bleed does not affect the photo area being worked on.

I currently have the LG 34UM95P and am very reluctant to upgrade it due to it being one of the only monitors with a hardware LUT so calibrations get stored directly on the monitor itself and are not typically affected by graphics card drivers and whatnot.

If you do get one, then make sure it's not a 2560x1080 one, you want a 3440x1440 one. I've also had both of these types and the 1080 vertical resolution is a limiting factor for real estate, great for movies and games once again of course.

Colour shift at the edges is less of an issue on the higher end models, but BLB is more pronounced on curved displays from what I've seen.

I don't have any recent photos 've taken, but here are ones I posted yonks ago on the forums:

R32pLey.jpg

Y2nsfNs.jpg

Back
Top Bottom