Anyone recommend a USB 3 Pci card for the three USB 3 ports the Oculus needs?

Soldato
All of mine are in use, so I'll need a new PCIe card I assume with 4 ports? Anyone suggest one that'll just plug in and work well on Windows 10 with the Oculus?

Soldato
Inateck PCI-E to USB 3.0 5-Port PCI Express Card and 15-Pin Power Connector, Mini PCI-E USB 3.0 Hub Controller Adapter, with Internal USB 3.0 20-PIN Connector - Expand Another Two USB 3.0 Ports - [ Include with A 4pin to 2x15pin Cable + A 15pin to 2x 15pin SATA Y-Cable ]
I will remove the competitor link-schizo

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
OP
Inateck PCI-E to USB 3.0 5-Port PCI Express Card and 15-Pin Power Connector, Mini PCI-E USB 3.0 Hub Controller Adapter, with Internal USB 3.0 20-PIN Connector - Expand Another Two USB 3.0 Ports - [ Include with A 4pin to 2x15pin Cable + A 15pin to 2x 15pin SATA Y-Cable ]
I think I've seen that one mentioned? Model No. KTU3FR-5O2I ?

Why not the cheaper 4 port version? KTU3FR-4P

Permabanned
Probably best with the one with multiple controllers.

Startech PEXUSB3S44V

This. Though expensive it does have 4 controllers, 1 for each port giving each port full bandwidth. Other cards have just 1 controller so the bandwidth is shared across all ports. Make sure that you have the resources free to fit it as it does use 4 lanes and so requires a larger slot than the PCI-X x1 cards. Also check the configuration of the PCI-X slots within your motherboard manual as using a 4 lane card may in certain slots disable others.

Soldato
OP
This. Though expensive it does have 4 controllers, 1 for each port giving each port full bandwidth. Other cards have just 1 controller so the bandwidth is shared across all ports. Make sure that you have the resources free to fit it as it does use 4 lanes and so requires a larger slot than the PCI-X x1 cards. Also check the configuration of the PCI-X slots within your motherboard manual as using a 4 lane card may in certain slots disable others.
Why don't I simply buy a cheaper one (eg: the inateck one above), put my existing USB 3 devices into that, and plug the OR straight into my then free mother board USB 3 ports?

Permabanned
Why don't I simply buy a cheaper one (eg: the inateck one above), put my existing USB 3 devices into that, and plug the OR straight into my then free mother board USB 3 ports?

That may work for you, though the ports on your motherboard may again share just 1 controller. It's all about bandwidth, the more the better. If you lack bandwidth then the tracking becomes problematic, you may even end up with disconnects.

Have you tried the compatibility https://support.oculus.com/1357437467617798 ? It didn't like my VIA chipset on my old z77x-d3h.

Soldato
OP
That may work for you, though the ports on your motherboard may again share just 1 controller. It's all about bandwidth, the more the better. If you lack bandwidth then the tracking becomes problematic, you may even end up with disconnects.

Have you tried the compatibility https://support.oculus.com/1357437467617798 ? It didn't like my VIA chipset on my old z77x-d3h.

All passes...

Well if I get the cheaper Inatek 4 or 5 port card, I can move my backup USB 3 drive to that (it's turned off most of the time), which then leaves two USB 3 ports on the mother board.

So I could plug two USB 3 Oculus cables into the MB and one into the new PCI card. Or the other way around...

Surely then there's at least two USB controllers involved? Which I suspect is better or the same as 95+% of people are using the OR with? (I bet most are using it with all three straight into their MB)

Associate
So I could plug two USB 3 Oculus cables into the MB and one into the new PCI card. Or the other way around...
The 4 port Inateck card will handle two Rift sensors, or the Rift itself + one sensor with no problem. However, try to plug three Oculus devices into it and you'll start getting disconnects. As long as you don't plug more than two Oculus devices onto a single controller (which is all the Inateck card has) you should be fine (I have 2 sensors plugged into mine).

Soldato
OP
Have you got all your OR USB cables plugged into this one card then?

Soldato
OP
Forgot to ask what rift setup you have, doh.

How many sensors are you running? If 2, do you have plans for buying extra for 'proper' roomscale?

I'd be looking at getting the £399 bundle and running it in my tiny little study (floor space of 2m wide by 1.3m deep), so mainly sitting down stuff.

Soldato
OP
The 4 port Inateck card will handle two Rift sensors, or the Rift itself + one sensor with no problem. However, try to plug three Oculus devices into it and you'll start getting disconnects. As long as you don't plug more than two Oculus devices onto a single controller (which is all the Inateck card has) you should be fine (I have 2 sensors plugged into mine).
And the five port one? Same issue?

I don't think there's any issues with my MB fitting those Inateck cards. Plenty of slots free - https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/Z97-A/

Only using one PCI slot for my GPU so far!

Soldato
And the five port one? Same issue?

I don't think there's any issues with my MB fitting those Inateck cards. Plenty of slots free - https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/Z97-A/

Only using one PCI slot for my GPU so far!

Don't get the 5 port one it has issues. The four port Inatek or the Startech are the only options. The 4 port one will probably do because you can plug the rift and sensor into the 4 port card and move your mouse or keyboard or something to the inatek card and plug you sensor into that port you freed up.

Soldato
OP
Don't get the 5 port one it has issues. The four port Inatek or the Startech are the only options. The 4 port one will probably do because you can plug the rift and sensor into the 4 port card and move your mouse or keyboard or something to the inatek card and plug you sensor into that port you freed up.
Thanks...

I have one USB 3 port free on the back already, as well as some USB 2 ones...

Associate
All of mine are in use, so I'll need a new PCIe card I assume with 4 ports? Anyone suggest one that'll just plug in and work well on Windows 10 with the Oculus?

Have you not got any spare headers on the motherboard? It's better just to buy a cheap USB 3 bracket and connect straight to the motherboard controller which should be Intel on the Z97-A.

Soldato
OP
Have you not got any spare headers on the motherboard? It's better just to buy a cheap USB 3 bracket and connect straight to the motherboard controller which should be Intel on the Z97-A.
Don't believe so... I have one (potentially two) spare USB3 ports on the back of the PC, so if I get the four port Inatek that means I could use that in parallel :)

Back
Top Bottom