• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone reinstall windows going from older gen to Alder Lake?

Soldato
A RTX3090 and an overclocked Alderlake must be toasty. Especially with both types of cores/busses overclocked.

Definitely a winter project.

Soldato
OP
A RTX3090 and an overclocked Alderlake must be toasty. Especially with both types of cores/busses overclocked.

Definitely a winter project.
Indeed! This basically heats up the room while im gaming or benching, looking forward to not having to turn the heating on through winter. Heck even the Ram pumps out 60c :cry:.

sUUb10D.jpg

Soldato
OP
I found the RTX 3080 was bad enough even in a Ryzen system. Too much heat output for me.
Its the backside of the gpu that really radiates the heat, with it being so close to the backside of the motherboard, it can heat up the internals quite abit but so far its all in check especially with 2 noctua 120 chromax fans blowing over it.

Soldato
Crikey thats low! It's basically off at that point lol. Amazing what it can do and how low it can get and still work just fine. Ah i didn't know that, i've barely read into anything about AMD in the past few months, the 5800X3D was something i was going to dabble in but since the AM4 platform is dead i figured i'd go for Z690 and maybe drop in a Raptor lake if its worth buying when the time comes.

I just did a final run with these settings:

5.0ghz Pcores
4.1ghz Ecore
4.1ghz Ring Ratio
1.35v VID and 1.32v Vcore after vdrop with LLC at level 4, 2nd to lowest setting. The only concern was the temps which hit 94 during the cinenbench R23 run! Gaming loads are fine, it barely touches 60c.

5OpKFA5.jpg

I run my 12700K with a clock of 5.1/4/4 with a fixed voltage of 1.24V and get the same score as you, but the worst Pcore temp was 89c, best being 78C (on a rare hot summer's day), and that's before hopefully better temps with a Thermalright contact clamp I've yet to fit.

Bottom line is, I'd suggest trying a much lower voltage than 1.35/1.32.

Soldato
OP
I run my 12700K with a clock of 5.1/4/4 with a fixed voltage of 1.24V and get the same score as you, but the worst Pcore temp was 89c, best being 78C (on a rare hot summer's day), and that's before hopefully better temps with a Thermalright contact clamp I've yet to fit.

Bottom line is, I'd suggest trying a much lower voltage than 1.35/1.32.
Ah dont worry, this was on the ASrock board. I'm now on a ASUS Z690 Itx board and i can now do 5ghz pcore, 4ghz ecore and 4.2ghz ring at 1.251v. For 5.1ghz i would need 1.28v but that gives me 4.1ghz ecore and 4.3ghz ring as well. Just gets a little toasty and like you i've ordered the Thermalright Contact clamp so hoping to see some better temps with that. Highest i've seen is 84c on the hottest core at my current 5ghz pcore clock running R23 but when i run the 5.1ghz profile it can almost touch 95c!

Soldato
OP
Jumped on Windows 11 tonight, took awhile to install despite the speedy download but all good. Only little issue im having right now is Rivatuner statistics that i use with msi afterburner and Aida64 for sensor panel comes up with a "Direct3D9 components can not be hooked right now". Not sure what to do with that, googling comes up trumps, well not directly related to my exact message anyway.

Soldato
OP
So looks like im gonna have to reinstall windows once again! Was getting crashes in Generation Zero (seems to be the only game doing it). Event viewer showed it was an error with the application and faulting file ntdll.dll in system32 folder? I looked it up and some suggested replacing it as it could be corrupted. Anyway tried the usual sfc scan and restorehealth in command line but they came back trumps. Tried to then change the permission of the system32 folder (big mistake!) as it was currently set to trustedinstalled. Changed it to my username so i could edit or replace the file but it didn't work anyway! Now Event viewer won't open or it opens but just closes as soon as you try to view any logs. Changed it back to trustedinstaller but same thing, restarted a few times so the settings will set but no avail, gutted...

Think at this point since the install is still fairly fresh is to just wipe and start again. Was getting PCI root driver errors too when i first installed which i suspected was drivers not being installed properly. I relied on armoury crate to do all the installation which it mostly did but the pci drivers were funking out afterwards till i manually installed them. It would pop up as WHEA errors in event error and some times followed by a blue screen.

Any solutions before i just reset it via the W11 function t o reset this pc?

Caporegime
i always do a fresh reinstall of OS when changing board cpu i know some dont but i just like a clean install. got a 12700 this weekend nice chip.

Back
Top Bottom