• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone run a 1080ti with an i7 930?

Soldato
Hi all,

Random one....

Current Rig...

i7 930 @ stock
GTX780
12GB ram
Asus P6T mobo

Considering upgrading.

If I bought a 1080ti, but didn't upgrade anything else yet... how stupid would that be?
I mainly play GTA and CS:GO at 2560x1080 for now.

Both run ok, but would be nice if I could up the detail on GTA and the 3GB ram on my card is not enough.

Not too worried about money so considering the best GPU out there for now.

Was considering coupling it with this:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...le-270-cheaper-than-z270-equivalent.18780048/

I'm pretty out of the loop hardware wise at the moment so just looking for some advice really.

Cheers,

G

Permabanned
I'd wait on the cpu side as Coffeelake's been brought forward so we'll be able to get 6 core 12 thread mainstream i7's in a few months time, I don't think buying a 1080ti would be a bad move however, A 1080, 1070 or even a 6gb 1060 would be more than good enough to run games at 2560x1080 and then you can look at a more substantial upgrade when you do decide to go with a new cpu, you could even wait for Volta if you get the 1060 now.

Soldato
We are close to Vega release, depending on how competitive it is it could force price drops on nvidia side, more 1070/80 rather than ti. Hopefully it all kicks of royally this year, vega is kickass, volta rush out and it kicks ass, so if you can wait it's hopefully gonna be worth it.

If you want to buy now though, a 1080ti is a great shout, it'll pwn gta and csgo at your res, you can prolly even DSR on gta and prolly run ultra grass too :p

Which 1080ti are you thinking of buying?

a ryzen 1700 system seems the goto at the moment too regarding cpu upgrade, but then we are waiting for new intel stuff too

Soldato
OP
We are close to Vega release, depending on how competitive it is it could force price drops on nvidia side, more 1070/80 rather than ti. Hopefully it all kicks of royally this year, vega is kickass, volta rush out and it kicks ass, so if you can wait it's hopefully gonna be worth it.

If you want to buy now though, a 1080ti is a great shout, it'll pwn gta and csgo at your res, you can prolly even DSR on gta and prolly run ultra grass too :p

Which 1080ti are you thinking of buying?

a ryzen 1700 system seems the goto at the moment too regarding cpu upgrade, but then we are waiting for new intel stuff too

I've always bought EVGA cards in the past for the 10 year warranty.

Soldato
that 930 at stock will be holding you back quite a bit....... consider swapping it out for a westemere hex xeon oc'd to 4Ghz + for a budget boost to your system

Associate
Why not save the money and over clock the 930. My 920 hits 4ghz easy. Had it at 4.3 but not when the weather gets hot.
Especially with 12gb of ram, throw a 1080ti at it, should still play most games at max.

Soldato
OP
I've ordered a GTX1080ti Zotac Amp! Edition for the lols and will let people know how much my CPU cries.

Will upgrade the CPU after new offerings and price changes :)

/edit chose this one because it was only £620 and has a 5 year warranty. Doesn't look like EVGA do 10 years any more.

Soldato
If I bought a 1080ti, but didn't upgrade anything else yet... how stupid would that be?
I mainly play GTA and CS:GO at 2560x1080 for now.

for cs:go? probably entirely pointless. not the case for gta5 but buying a 600 quid card for a handful of games is definitely only something you do if you've literally got nothing better to spend it on.

Soldato
OP
for cs:go? probably entirely pointless. not the case for gta5 but buying a 600 quid card for a handful of games is definitely only something you do if you've literally got nothing better to spend it on.

William Hill are paying for it, so it's not as crazy as it seems tbh, I would not blow £600 on a GPU at all usually. :)

CS:GO runs flawlessly apart from Inferno and Nuke for some reason.

GTA uses more VRAM than I have so I can't max it out at all and even then I only get like 45-60 fps. Looking to get 60+ constantly.

I also have BF1, so looking forward to seeing if that's more playable too :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Anyone know if I will need a better PSU going from:

i7 930 + GTX780
to:
i7 6700K + GTX 1080ti

Also does anyone know if the 1080ti just has the same power connectors as the 780?

I thought power consumption was getting less with new tech, but I don't know tbh.

Thanks,

G

Back
Top Bottom